Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evening Star

Thanks

Evening Star

Sign in to disable this ad
    I employed new tools and new tricks to this tune ... hope you enjoy this "fresh off the production line" revision. Any/all comments warmly welcomed:

Last edited by K-dub; 08-15-2013 at 16:26.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    The song writing is good and overall the sound isn't bad, but it could use a little work. The cymbals could come down in volume a bit and the acoustic could be low passed a little too. The piano also sounds very thin, I don't if it's because of how you processed it, or the samples/keyboard you're using just sounds like that, but I'd find a way to get more bass. If you recorded it though midi, try to find another piano vst with more bass and double the piano part to try to add some bass/lower mid fullness. You're voice has a lot of lower mids and I think cutting a bit from the bottom would help the song as well as adding a little more reverb or delay in the opening section. Overall it's a very nice song.

Thanks
    Whatever voodoo you put on the vocal, ease back on it a couple degrees - it's ever so slightly obvious.

I really like this one - I think you've gone and dropped yourself smack dab into the center of what you do best. This is one of my faves of yours. And I've only heard it the once. If you ever hear a tune of mine where I copy that chord change you did at the end, all I can ask is that you understand.
    Like is like still like the worst.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dobro View Post
    Whatever voodoo you put on the vocal, ease back on it a couple degrees - it's ever so slightly obvious.
    Just wanted to say +1, but needed at least 7 characters

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chandlerhimself View Post
    The song writing is good and overall the sound isn't bad, but it could use a little work. The cymbals could come down in volume a bit and the acoustic could be low passed a little too. The piano also sounds very thin, I don't if it's because of how you processed it, or the samples/keyboard you're using just sounds like that, but I'd find a way to get more bass. If you recorded it though midi, try to find another piano vst with more bass and double the piano part to try to add some bass/lower mid fullness. You're voice has a lot of lower mids and I think cutting a bit from the bottom would help the song as well as adding a little more reverb or delay in the opening section. Overall it's a very nice song.
    Excellent thoughts that I wondered about myself. Thanks C.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dobro View Post

I really like this one - I think you've gone and dropped yourself smack dab into the center of what you do best. This is one of my faves of yours. And I've only heard it the once. If you ever hear a tune of mine where I copy that chord change you did at the end, all I can ask is that you understand.
    Thanks P. I agree that I pushed the verb a little much. I'll pull back. I've got no copyright on chord changes.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paw1 View Post
    Just wanted to say +1, but needed at least 7 characters
    Thanks for your thoughts, Paw!
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    I thought for the most part the mix was good, bass could come down a notch to remove some rumble (could be my system) and the cymbals were still out there for this type of tune. As a personal taste, I would pull the cymbals back underneath the vocals. Vocals are so good and focused, I would make sure nothing interferes with them.

Good tune.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    I thought for the most part the mix was good, bass could come down a notch to remove some rumble (could be my system) and the cymbals were still out there for this type of tune. As a personal taste, I would pull the cymbals back underneath the vocals. Vocals are so good and focused, I would make sure nothing interferes with them.

Good tune.
    The cymbals actually are down in the mix -- but when I "self-mastered", they really popped. I'll have to address. I agree.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Based on the feedback above, I applied the following:

- Rolled the OH mics back 2.5 db
    - Rolled the vocal effects back 4 db
    - Rolled the bass level back 3 db and trimmed eq a couple db at 125 and 250 ... while cutting fairly hard circa 4-500.
    - Kept the same piano, but added the meat back via eq -- I'd taken a lot of it out to carve space for the bass -- same range I cut the bass
    - Added some gating and eq to the toms to pop and tighten them a little more (not mentioned ... but it was another thought I had)

New mix is up top.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thread Information