Evening Star

Greetings K - I've listened to bits of this at various times but kept getting interrupted. Finally got to listen a couple of times this morning and I think it's sounding good. The vocal performance is excellent as always.

I was reading the initial feedback you got and was confused, because I wasn't hearing it that way at all, but now I see that I'm listening to a remix based at least partly on that feedback, so probably a lot changed since the initial mix.

I have zero experience mixing anything like this, but to me the overall balance, clarity and panning and all that stuff is already spot on. The only thing to me that stood out were the higher freq stuff like cymbals and your voice at times seemed a little too hyped, not quite to the point of being harsh, but excessive on my modest set-up. I think you could go a tad darker/warmer overall with the mix as a whole, but that may just be my own personal tonal preferences speaking...good work on this.

Thanks P -- I'm currently just south of you in Harpswell, but I'll be back in CT tomorrow and will attend then. I think the vocal can be softened ever so slightly more, and I've still got to attend to the overhead mics on the drums. I don't have them eq'd at all, but perhaps I should tame them a tad.

I kept bypassing this because it's the title of a Fripp & eno album and I couldn't get my head around someone doing an interpretation of that.
THis is very nice - the suggestions given already cover the territory well so I'll just add "Nice one!".

Ha, I didn't know that Ray ... and so consequently I'm listening to it as I type my reply. VERY different. Thanks for the kind words and the heads up! :)

Back