Euro Symphonic Metal

xfinsterx

Ive been working on these guys the last couple weeks.

I complained so much that they fired thier then singer.

Now theyve got the guy youll here on the MP3 here.

Much improved.

Im glad.

Nothing worse than an awesome band getting ruined by a horrible vocalist.

-Finster.

-Oh BTW, for you PMC11'ers, this is the reason i havent done your reviews as of yet. Ill wrap this project up soon and have a week off (thank god!)
Ill be doing the reviews very soon.

(edit) i posted the wrong link previously, theres the correct one).

Last edited:
You seemed to have captured another good performance, Chris. I really like the guitar tone. Vocals seem to sit very well. Drums don't seem to be as full as some of your mixes. Might just be at my end, but not the same as some other stuff you've posted. Good drum sounds, just seem further back in the mix. Good guitars though. And the guy has a good voice for this.
Ed

Right on Dogman.
Youre right the drums are a little thinner than usual.

Theres so much going on in this mix that its a must to make cuts here and there.

The drums got cut a tad but not too much.

Thanks for the review bro.

-Finster

Hi

Nice work Finster. The guitar tone is very good and although it's a busy mix, we can hear everything well. Is it a real kick or is it programmed ? How is it done ?

Thanks,

Jack Real.

Very complex piece in the instrumental voice leading and rhythms. Yeah, the singer sure can sing. Really good arranging and mixing to bring out clarity in such a dense mix. I like the contrasting middle section with the ac gtr, but don't like the string sound so much at 3:24. The gtr part there would sound good on classical. Smart to post this at 320 kbps.

EDIT: so what is the percussion that's doing the fast "click" sound... is it double kick drums? Sounds like tympani.

Tim

Last edited:
track sounds great, i like that in your face click on the kick drums.

I must say that the band and especially the singer ARE NOT very original sounding at all. Shadows Fall wannabees.

I always wonder how musicians can be so talented, but not hear that they are pretty much sound alikes to alot of bands that have come out as of last few years. I guess it has always been that way, so it shouldnt come as a suprise to me. It happens to all music from country to rap to metal. Usually the singer is what can set each band aside from each other in the same genre, this guy is good at what he does, but is not very original in my opinion.

do you have anything from the last singer???

you did another great job on the track though.

peace

Sounds like a sampled bass drum.
Hey Finster, good mix. Nice and clean and smooth with lovely guitars. You guitars sound better evry time I here a new mix!
First impressions of the mix are that it is a little too bright, suppose you could fix that at mastering, but prob better fixed at mix stage.
Snare is a bit weak. Any way of boosting a hi frequency with quite a thin Q maybe just to get it too break through? just an idea off the top of my head.
Keep it up man.

Another great mix.. Agreed on the fact that the drums don't sound as full as usual, but better than mine :) ... This mix sounds like it was a bitch to mix, a lot going.. Overall really good mix.. I'm curious what you used for the guitars?

BurnBarfield said:
Another great mix.. Agreed on the fact that the drums don't sound as full as usual, but better than mine :) ... This mix sounds like it was a bitch to mix, a lot going.. Overall really good mix.. I'm curious what you used for the guitars?

I'm curious as well on what you did for guitars as well as the signal chain for vocals.

Guitars were..

1. a Marshall valvestate with a 57 and a 421 right in the grill of a Marshall 1960 A 4x12 cab. Both through Api pres.

And

2. A carvin bx100 with a royerr121 and a AT4047 right at the grill through a mesa boogie 4x12. Both through Avalon pres.

Compressed very lightly with a White 1176 and then gated.

No eq.

-Finster

Reactions: XLR
Vocals were...\\

1 For screams> A crappy handheld Audio technica Digital reference mic, through
an Api pre and tons of compression with a dbx 166.

2.The signing is the AT4047 (I love that fucking mic) Through the Avalon sp737.

xfinsterx said:
Guitars were..

1. a Marshall valvestate with a 57 and a 421 right in the grill of a Marshall 1960 A 4x12 cab. Both through Api pres.

And

2. A carvin bx100 with a royerr121 and a AT4047 right at the grill through a mesa boogie 4x12. Both through Avalon pres.

Compressed very lightly with a White 1176 and then gated.

No eq.

-Finster

No EQ? Very impresive man. I think you are getting distorted guitars down to a T.
Do you have to argue with your clients to change their amp settings to get the best recorded tone? I know guitarists can be quite picky about "their" sound!

Nah i never have to argue.

Theyve heard my work so they know that i need full cooperation to achieve whats right for the track.

I always explain that before i take a job.

"I want you to sound like you....but let me do what i need to do make you sound good."

Or something along those lines is what ill say.

Cool. If you can acheive a tone that good without the use of a far mic, then I might give up on the far mic technique!! Ive been wanting to try the multiple amps technique for a while as it gives more posiblities for tone control along with multiple mics. Have you ever tried the three amps facing into each other in a square shape so that the amps make three of thhe four sides of a square? What you do is place a ribbon mic in the middle of the three amps. You probably will have to watch out for opposite phase between the two amps facing each other. And since there is onlt one mic it has to be fixed at tracking rather than using nudge.

Very nice mix. Strings add a nice atomosphere throughout. I also agree the snare could stick out more.

Better then anything I do, good job!

ecktronic said:
Cool. If you can acheive a tone that good without the use of a far mic, then I might give up on the far mic technique!! Ive been wanting to try the multiple amps technique for a while as it gives more posiblities for tone control along with multiple mics. Have you ever tried the three amps facing into each other in a square shape so that the amps make three of thhe four sides of a square? What you do is place a ribbon mic in the middle of the three amps. You probably will have to watch out for opposite phase between the two amps facing each other. And since there is onlt one mic it has to be fixed at tracking rather than using nudge.

3 amps im not farmiliar with.
But ive done two amps facing each onther with the the cabinets wired out of phase, with a figure 8 mic pattern. Good results for blues and rock but not metal IMO. I need that mic in the grill effect for metal.
YMMV.

BTW dont give up on the far mix techniqe dude. You can blend them in lightly for a good effect sometimes.

Giving up on any mic technique is a bad idea IMO.

Best of luck.

-Finster

3 amps im not farmiliar with. But ive done two amps facing each onther with the the cabinets wired out of phase, with a figure 8 mic pattern. Good results for blues and rock but not metal IMO. I need that mic in the grill effect for metal.
Fascinating. Didn't know until lately that it was so complex to get good tone recording gtr amps. Sometimes when I've tried endless positions to find just the right way to mic my classical gtr I have to confess I've thought, "I wish I played electric so I could just toss a 57 at the grill and be done with it." Live and learn.

Tim

Back