Erasure/Savage Garden style song from KOMPOZ...please leave comment

Bergen

Hello,

I am a lyricist/vocalist at the collaborative music website kompoz, and had the privilege of hooking up with two amazing musicians from the UK to create this electro-pop tune we've named "You're My Sanity".

Any feedback on song and mix quality greatly appreciated!

:)

bergen

Kompoz Link:
YOU'RE MY SANITY - YOU'RE MY SANITY EXTENDED wav - Kompoz.com

MP3 Link:

Attachments

• You're My Sanity.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
Mix comment: It sounds done.

Other comment: The spoken part doesn't work for me, but I wonder if that's just down to taste preferences. It sounds overdramatic to me; it would work for me if it was tongue in cheek and meant to be funny, but I think it's meant to be serious, and you have to be really good to pull off spoken word successfully when you're being dramatic. David Bowie can do it ("...under the moonlight, the serious moonlight"). That's the only thing I'd nudge toward change if I was producing this one. The rest is really well done.

Mixing sounds spot on. I agree with dobro about the spoken word bit. He's pretty much nailed it there.

Sounds to me like a lot of Europop influence. It's really high energy, I like it.

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. I agree about the spoken word being a bit shaky. I am not sure if you noticed the spoken word also played itself in the beginning of the song with a bit of a midrange boost and distortion. I'm wondering if applying those same effects during the body of the song might be more desirable?

TheAcquired: I listened to your song, and it has a nice sound. I am primarily a vocalist/lyricist, and do not do a lot of mixing, so I can give you the most feedback on vocals. One thing I would work on is keeping your notes steady at the end of a word. It is a hard thing to do because you tend to change or tone or volume as your breath runs out. Exercises can help with this. Your high notes sound good, and I would emphasize them. During the sections where you alternate between notes on a single word, I would try to make sharper transitions between the notes. Pitch correction software can help with this if you're amenable to it, which I use myself. I hope this feedback is useful :D

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. I agree about the spoken word being a bit shaky. I am not sure if you noticed the spoken word also played itself in the beginning of the song with a bit of a midrange boost and distortion. I'm wondering if applying those same effects during the body of the song might be more desirable?

TheAcquired: I listened to your song, and it has a nice sound. I am primarily a vocalist/lyricist, and do not do a lot of mixing, so I can give you the most feedback on vocals. One thing I would work on is keeping your notes steady at the end of a word. It is a hard thing to do because you tend to change or tone or volume as your breath runs out. Exercises can help with this. Your high notes sound good, and I would emphasize them. During the sections where you alternate between notes on a single word, I would try to make sharper transitions between the notes. Pitch correction software can help with this if you're amenable to it, which I use myself. I hope this feedback is useful :D

Hey, thanks for the feedback :) I really do appreciate it all. Unfortunately I'm not the singer, I do all the other instruments, and I do the recording and mixing. I'll pass on the feedback to the other guy though. He can be a lil defensive on his singing side.. but I hope he takes your advice to heart, cause I agree :)

I hear the spoken word at the beginning now. I would experiment with it, and see what works out the best. My favourite example of spoken word in a song is Girl With Golden Eyes by Sixx A.M.

But once again, its super dramatic. I'm not sure if its the right thing in such a upbeat Euro pop sound. I hope you dont take offense, but it sounds to me like there are some influences from bands like ABBA. I'm not too familiar with the genre, so sorry if I'm in above my head. It is your song at the end of the day, so you can do anything you like. From the mixing point of view, I think its a fantastic job.

I have much further to go in getting good mixes than you, so perhaps this feedback is the wrong way around :p

It's pretty generic electro pop that could've come SAW but they chose, for the most part, strong voices pushed forward in the mix.
In terms of lyrics and delivery you lost me with the 1st sung line - the way you sang "the" seems just plain wrng - wrong emphasis, wrong prnounciation - ths was reinflrced by the spoken part - some rethinking of those things is needed.
Now sometimes even when the lights are bright

Back