An Elton John Tune I Recorded

i love this song and you really did it justice ....you can certainly hold a tune....my only comment would be that you tended to give it too much vocal gymnastic when a simpler would have totally nailed it. cool stuff.

Thanks for the responses. I will rerecord it again with less of the "gymnastics" and resubmit. I appreciate the comments.

Recorded using the matched Gefell M300 pair about two feet out
from me, sang and played at same time. Used the Avalon AD2022
preamp into UA 2192 converter, then into spdif connector into E-MU 1212m
soundcard on PC.

Rick - I missed this one when you posted it... I was just mentioning in the Songwriting Forum how great you were at fingerpicking....I'm going to post a link to this song as an example....hope you're ok with that...
This is another great performance - the sound and recording are perfect. I'm especially impressed that it is played and sung at the same time. You nailed it! The vocal gymnastics are ok by me because that's the way Elton sang this. But I'll keep a watch out for a revised version if you are so inclined to try one...Take Care....

:) :D :) :D

I like the guitar tone you have captured on this, very rich and well balanced without being to boomy ...were you using a capo by chance?I think the vocals kinda give it it's own style...more reminsint of Jim Croce than Elton to me....I enjoyed this...very nice listen!

ido1957 said:
I'm especially impressed that it is played and sung at the same time. You nailed it! The vocal gymnastics are ok by me because that's the way Elton sang this.

I agree. It's a great song and you do it justice. The vocals are a bit rough, meaning they work some of the time. Elton has a slightly different range than you, so the falsetto is probably your only choice.

It has that folk, Johnny Cash kinda ring to it. Definitely a keeper, blemishes and all. May actually be BETTER with the blemishes, almost a folk artist badge of honor, no? :D

Have you considered doing separate tracks for vox and guitars? It would give you much better mixing capabilities afterwards...

Back