Electric Blue - Artificial

ajsajs

Been working on this new Daft Punk-ish / rockish song... ready for some feedback. Happy to hear any thoughts... Trying to find the balance between groove and nightmare lol. The robot voice might make the words hard to hear, but I think I'm fine with that as I'll post the lyrics.

-------

Verse
Don’t want to be ordinary,
Climb it, and earn it, the promotion, the prestige and wealth,
Now boast it, and coach it, I’m heroic, my beliefs and brains,
Now brand it, and promote it, my persona, my esteem and spirit.

Chorus
Shop it, use it, upgrade it, break it,
Toss it out in the trash, forget it.
Need it, want it, my friends all got it,
Scroll over the terms and sign it.
Buy it, sell it, short it, trade it,
Speculate on the market and bank it.
Watch it, binge it, thrill it, laze it,
Spend the time with the highest bidder.

Verse
I’m feeling ordinary,
Snap it, and post it, and collect all, of the shares and likes,
Now work it, and own it, I'm ferocious, filter, quick, retake.
Now save it, all the moments, all the memories, all my thoughts and feelings.

Attachments

• AritificalDemo2020_12.mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 21
I like how the piano becomes brighter and more clear after the intro - nice build up. The robot voice is fun, but a little harsh on the top end. I think a de-esser would tame it. The overall balance feels good and it's got great dynamics. I don't know why, but if I were mixing I'd want to try the guitar doubled and hard panned left and right or maybe you could just apply a stereo expander. That might sound bad, but I'd just be curious to try it. Anyway it's definitely got a different vibe from anything I am used to hearing which I really appreciate.

The piano sounds a little artificial at first, but once you mix in the synth @ 23s it begins to pique interest. Love the robo vocals! Does not sound harsh to me. The harmonies are brilliant, smartly accented when the bass kicks in. Are you going for a Daft Punk homage? Tell me, how are you getting those robo vocals? What Vocoder settings??? Which VST?

EDIT - 15 min later your vocal hook still stuck in my head. This is especially brilliant and catchy.

Yeah, really like the intro. I like that little pad synth or flute patch thing going on with the piano. But, I was ready to turn it off and go on to the next song when the robo-vocal thing came in. Just not my thing, I guess. I say, sing it normally, but personal preference and all that.

The mix sounds good and the song has some good energy.

The piano sounds a little artificial at first, but once you mix in the synth @ 23s it begins to pique interest. Love the robo vocals! Does not sound harsh to me. The harmonies are brilliant, smartly accented when the bass kicks in. Are you going for a Daft Punk homage? Tell me, how are you getting those robo vocals? What Vocoder settings??? Which VST?

EDIT - 15 min later your vocal hook still stuck in my head. This is especially brilliant and catchy.

Sorry for the delayed response, glad you enjoyed it :)! I was going for a Daft Punk Homage :) :)... I used Bitspeek VST - Sonic Charge - Bitspeek - with basically:
- tracking all the way to 0 (perfect tracking)
- detune close to 0 (mostly in tune)
- pitch set to 0 (12 o'clock). Could also be octave increments (+/- 12)
- MIDI on (use an external midi track for the melody)
- Rate/Frame Rate to taste
At that point I can basically just speak into the mic and get a pretty good sound, though I experimented with different pitches of my input voice and it would improve/degrade the quality of the vocals (in terms of vocal crispness). Reasonably high pitch (for a male with a deep voice) seemed to work well for me.

Back