Ehh my vocals are too upfront

Produced in Holland, now that's what's up ;)

Anyway, reverb are the secret imo to get the vocals to 'sit' in the track. But I checked the track and it sounds mixed pretty well already if I'm honest.

i tried the reverb trick and it was ok on the monitors, but man via headphones its was drenched lol. Ohh yeah im doing a 2 full lengths with 2 amazing producers from the Netherlands. GCity- Groninjen!

I think they sound pretty decent....maybe a touch more reverb, or some sort of delay, or chorus would fill them out, and make it easier to mix, but keep it small. Too much will take away the impact. I don't have great monitors, but the words don't jump out like they don't belong. They could use a bit of work, but you're pretty close. Did you compress them much? Taking a bit of the dynamics out could help. Just don't do too much.

I dont think the vox are too upfront at all. To me they seem in keeping with the style. Alot of hiphop that i hear is mixed in the same way.

on the lead vox i comped on the ssl waves channel i think like 3:1 or 4:1 and a threshold of like 3-5 dont remember. For adds and hooks i use the reacomp and 3:1 and a small thresh. Bus altiverb and modelay and clciked away to my hearts content. On my master buss i threw on antress analoger and threw on the his res which kicks it in too full gear, but when i added the waves buss comp (ssl) the vocals shot up higher.

I really don't care for industry sounding mixing cause the industry sucks, and everything is super duper smashed. I just want the consumer to turn it on and feel the roundness on the kick and snare with the vocals being tucked like a newborn.

i would use a delay instead of a reverb, but that's just me. like a light lo-fi delay that moves with the tempo. could make em sit better.

The vox sound good but are more dynamic than the instrumental backing. To me it needs less compression on the backing to bring that up into the same "dimension" as the vocals.

Yep, as everyone else has said, they are too dry, and they really are not cohesive with the music at all. The whole thing sounds too dry to me. Is it just a stereo backing track?

Back