Edwin Drood

hey samich-dude....
i liked the tune. maybe throw a chorus or something in there to legnthen it and change it up a bit. definitely a good riff though.
i hear a really heavy guitar chorus change in there. c'mon, you can do it. i hear it man!!!!
this is whats on the radio today. linkin park type stuff. you know what im talking about?

thanks a lot for listening, but LINKIN PARK!!!???? is it the freestyle lyrics?

i s'pose i can hear some heavy guitars....maybe you could throw some in there...if you want to give it a shot, let me know...thanks again, take care brother.

I was just listening again... And yeah, I could see, after the sung 'answer forthcoming' spot... maybe a 1 or 2 second break of pure silence, and then bring in some heavy rift with some sung melody that fits with the forthcoming spot, and then bring back the freestyle overtop of the rift. Keep the tempo close to the same throughout though... And then return to the basic freestyle after a bit... It's so catchy I think I've played it about 30 times, lol

W.

that sounds like a great idea. you and spacedye have inspired me to continue working on it. i will of course give you both due credit. i hope i produce what you're hearing. great ideas. thanks for listening over and over. what do you think of the lyrics...you'd be the best person to ask since it takes about 30 times to catch the words. i love Jack Kerouac...his writing is so simple yet says so much. his ability to write about everyday life and make it sound so musical. anyways, i'm off to work on it some more. thanks again.

middle

I like the theme... Mysteriously obtuse, to the tune of a dark wagon wheel rut road framed by looming trees.... A solo man, hands down to his side, clutched in a fist, eyes looking to the path, walking down that road, as a crow sits in the branches above a speaks to Edwin Drood... (At least, it sounded like 'crow')

This is the picture the music brings into my mind...

The lyrics sprout off on a tangent, that keeps the listener interested, trying to figure out the story line, which makes 'sense' ultimately when the last verse pops out. Although, sense is a word that would be used in that obtuse fashion, as it's an art form used to create a somber emotion...

Anywho, my thoughts. I like.

W.

"Mysteriously obtuse, to the tune of a dark wagon wheel rut road framed by looming trees.... A solo man, hands down to his side, clutched in a fist, eyes looking to the path, walking down that road, as a crow sits in the branches above a speaks to Edwin Drood..."

crone, not crow :)

great imagery...use words like these to write lyrics.

i picture a desolate city corner with makeshift homes peering out of the alley. Edwin Drood is pondering the desolation and his own life in relation to it and the voice in his head assures him that his asking will be responded to. it's almost very mundane. again, this is what makes Kerouac a wonderful writer.

I thought so, wasn't sure though (twas why I said 'sounded like crow'), everything sounds like it's got a 'n' on it when I've got a cold, same with how I speak, lol...

Aren't you glad I'm not critiquing today :)

I think it will be a common mistake however, for people listening, as 'crone' has become a 'non-english' word over the years...

The external image of the crow to me, comes across better in an artistic story (much like 'the raven' - Edgar Poe). The story was in fact about the horror of a mans mind dealing with a loss, but portrayed so much better with an artistic flair of the Raven sitting atop the bust...

Yes, the desolation comes across in the imagry in my mind also. The trees that frame the path are crooked, and fairly barren...

Yer a city boy born and raised ain't ya? Hehe, mental imagry is often affected by up-bringing :)

i agree with ya. crow works on so many levels in imagery. i like the word "crone" lately..."you and your cronies" and such phrases like that.

nope, i am not a city boy...born and raised in a central New York college town called Ithaca. a bunch of Greeks and Romans we are. i lived outside Manhatten for a while, but really identify with gorges, coffee houses, vintage guitar shoppes and starry autumn nights.

That's a city to folk like me ;) Been there.. I was raised as a ranch hand, you walked for days before you hit a gas station, weeks before you hit a coffee shop.

W.

it's strange...the dynamics that exist in society....to the people i met in Manhatten, i was as farmlan, red neck, hick as they come. and now that i live in Tennessee, they all think i'm city folk..and to someone else you're a city folk...poor guy'd never leave his home, no reason...closest leaf of grass 20 light years.

VERY GOOD SONG!

the beat drew me in, and the melody and the guys voice held me in.

His voice reminds me vaguely of Era's.

The mix needs a lot of help. I'll tell you that right now.

It was well recorded. It just needs to be mixed better.

First, it sounded mono. Second, its not loud enough
THe voice is awesome and is in the right space. Please turn it up a tad.

The bass could have some ambience added to it and be ballsier

Snare could be louder

I love the song. I am on my fourth listen with no end in sight.

ps.

MAn, I am hearing a very melancholy e flat note in there every so often. May be a shakuhachi or even a string.

Cyan-

"the beat drew me in, and the melody and the guys voice held me in."

i am the guy...:)

thanks, that makes me feel good. i wanted the sound of the vocals and the rhythm of the words to be enveloping and enticing.

i'm not familiar with the singer, Era. i will check it out though to catch the simliarities. do you have any tracks i could hear with that singer?

i'm not sure if it's mono. it plays in both speakers..wouldn't that make it stereo? i have a stereo cable going from my echo Mia to my stereo/speakers. wouldn't that make the signal stereo...i am dum.

"THe voice is awesome and is in the right space. Please turn it up a tad.

The bass could have some ambience added to it and be ballsier"

thanks again and i'll try turning it up, see if it hit me harder. There's no bass in the song...just two pianos, drums and vocals. are you sure you listened to "Edwin Drood?"

"I love the song. I am on my fourth listen with no end in sight.

MAn, I am hearing a very melancholy e flat note in there every so often. May be a shakuhachi or even a string."

thanks alot! keep listening, until you hate it. i will have to try that idea out. if you want to add it, feel free. if so, let me know and i'll send you a wave file. same goes for anyone who'd liek to collaborate ideas. thanks again brother. take care.

middle

Oh. is that your voice? nice.

It plays in both speakers but I am hearing everything in the middle. I thought maybe you had saved it as a mono mp3 to save space.

What program are u using? you should be able to pan separate tracks to different spots in the stereo field, and you dont even have to record each track in stereo. For example, when I am recording drums from my sound module into logic, I record the snare, kick, hi hats , and other percoussion into separate tracks in mono. THen I pan them for taste. If you have a stereo piano, recorded it in stereo for the full effect.

TO make it louder, insert a limiter on your master bus. THis is possible in Vegas and logic(which I use) it should be doable on most any program. In waves ultramaximizer, all I do is reduce the threshold till its peaking at zero and then adjust the release time for the drums.

I have downloaded this song . I download fine examples of musicmanship. Its a song that I would like to mi, if you have webspace to upload to. I am on a very fast connection and I once downloaded 650 megs for a mix. Anyhow, I see that the music is a four bar loop so that should not take too much space as a wav file so you can send all 4 instument tracks and send the big vox files,

or if you are interested, send me the wav for the voxs' and we'll get a basic remix going on. I'll just need to know the bpm rate

Im not on here, but you can hear some of my mixes here

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/10/1099/singles.shtml

ps. YEs, I listened to edwin drood.

oh hell yeah...i've heard this cut "smash for the cash." i like this. very tight. you mixed this track? it isn't your music?

they aren't large files. i think the best way to do it would be through MSN Messenger or ICQ...i don't have ICQ anymore, but will probably get it again...i have cable connection. if you use MSN Messenger, add me to your list (samich17@hotmail.com) and we'll get working. let me know

for what i can tell, with stereo speakers, that was a good mixing job for "smash for the cash"..

middleman

hey thanks on smash for the cash. Its the only beat on there that I did. Other guys are rapping on it though. I mixed all the songs on that page except "put your hands on something" which I put up there because the guy used a total of about $500 worth of gear and it sounded so nice.

I dont have icq but I have messenger. I'll put you on right now. and connect. I hardly ever use it so it might be five minutews to get the hang of it.

the mic on smash is a shure sm58
I have since upgraded.
Lifestyles of the rich is my latest. Tell me what you think about the mix.

eddie van drood:
the pno sound, sounds a tad muffly...but the song sounds killer when the drum sound kicks in. I can deal with this kind of "rap".....I like it. ...infact I wouldn't nec. classify it as such. I like that the bass drum has the dbl hits, instead of just a straight kinda "club dance" sound. I heard the word "pelvic" ha aha ha...uah...too short...

This is without a doubt a superb display of poetic recognition Samich.

But I cant help stating what is on everyones mind,... Why the hell isn't it longer?

You have such a flowing vocal delivery that I cant help but be disapointed by your corner-cutting effort applications in this case.

For instance: Rabbit renewed was an extraction of an old Radiohead song, and to be totally honest, I think that your interpretation/reformulation of the song (rabbit in your headlights) was 1000% better than the original.

So my question is why didn't (or dont) you include a more extensive line of personified/customized material to this seemingly simple collaboration?

mixmkr - thanks a lot for listenin', much appreciated...i agree with ya on the muffly piano sound...i notated it on a baby grand, but had to resort to using Fruity Loops to reproduce...i know it's no excuse...i could've been more meticulous with the sound, made it less muffly. that'll be one of my focuses when i go back and lengthen it...you're right, the drum beat is the bomb. i've been working more on getting a unique sound from my programming, rather than that ppp tttt ppp tttt ppp tttt ppp tttt csshhhh sound.

what's so funny about the word "pelvic" ?

:) thanks again///take care brother.

wig - thanks for the commentary. i know i know, it needs to be longer. you see, and i know you know, that when working on a spontaneous piece, it can all come together in a few hours or a few minutes and then the moment ends...after which, i look at the length and see that it is 1:49...i realize though with this particular piece that it feels unfinished...this wasn't a cop out on my part...after i finished the vocals, it felt finished to me...i like how the ending chorus "there'll be an answer forecoming" mimics the intro, liek a full circle, so in that sense it felt completed to me...but i've heard a lot of great suggestions, like putting some heavy distorted guitar after the chorus, using pauses, adding more freestyle and such...it'll be interesting to see where i can take this...i'll have to add a long list of credits, because if it wasn't for you guys, it'd stay just under 2 minutes long..

thanks for the "Rabbit In Your Headlights" comment, i'm flattered that you think my version tops the original, but i have to disagree. the original mix with DJ Shadow blows me away everytime i listen to it..i think mine is pretty good though :D

thanks a lot wig and "yes" Ithaca in the MOFO. holla! recognize!

Back