Earth vs. Aforementioned Aliens

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Draft 1 of Part 3 of the rock operetta I've been working on is done.

I tried a few different things at the mixing phase from last time (mostly EQ tweaks) that will hopefully give it a fuller sound. If that works, I'll probably go revisit pt 2 with the same tweaks.

As always, I'm a fan of input from you guys.

Its getting better. i am at work and i can kinda make out the kick drum this time.

Id have to give it a listen to other then work to give it a reallly fair listen. But there is an improvment over the last one i listned to.

Still could use some fattening up in the bottom end by my guess.

But agian i'll need better speakers out of fairness.

Not too bad. Seems a little better than parts 1 and 2. I'm looking forward to hearing it all together. When the song breaks down at 2:42, that kick sounds pretty terrible. Lol. That kind of explains why it has no presence in the music. The drums sound kind of bad in general and I suspect they sound bad on their own, so it's gonna be tough to get good recorded sounds like that. They provide percussive sounds, but they don't sound like good drums. I like the raunchy crunch of the guitars. The vocals are the worst offender though. I can't make out any of the words. And it's not that I really care about lyrics, but I'd like to be able to make them out if I want to. Whatever multi-tracking and effects you're using makes them sound thin and timid and unclear.

Generally I thought this was really good. Loved the instrumentation. The quirkiness was cool.

But I think if you want a "fuller" sound you need to bump up the bass. The distorted guitar has a bit of high-mid sizzle. That can take away from the "fullness" of a mix.

There were sections where the vocal effects made it a little difficult to understand.

Well, here I am again to say that this is pretty cool. I'm sorry I can't offer any good advice, but I would say that if it had a little more low in the rythmn guitars it would probably make it better, but I'm just here to say I like the song.

So it may just be a wasted post, but who cares, right?

Have a good one dude.

Your voice and melodies have a very interesting sound that I think you should explore in simple song rather than bothering with rock "operettas". I also like your drum sound.

Holy wave of replies, Batman!

Not too bad. Seems a little better than parts 1 and 2. I'm looking forward to hearing it all together. When the song breaks down at 2:42, that kick sounds pretty terrible. Lol. That kind of explains why it has no presence in the music. The drums sound kind of bad in general and I suspect they sound bad on their own, so it's gonna be tough to get good recorded sounds like that. They provide percussive sounds, but they don't sound like good drums. I like the raunchy crunch of the guitars. The vocals are the worst offender though. I can't make out any of the words. And it's not that I really care about lyrics, but I'd like to be able to make them out if I want to. Whatever multi-tracking and effects you're using makes them sound thin and timid and unclear.
Thanks.
Is it all the vocals which sound bad or just the deeper, growled ones? I have a lot of trouble getting growled vocals to not be buried.
Man! Drums! Why're they always so hard to do right!

Generally I thought this was really good. Loved the instrumentation. The quirkiness was cool.

But I think if you want a "fuller" sound you need to bump up the bass. The distorted guitar has a bit of high-mid sizzle. That can take away from the "fullness" of a mix.

There were sections where the vocal effects made it a little difficult to understand.
Thanks.
The vocals actually don't have much in the way of effects: de-esser, EQ, compression, a little reverb. The problem's probably at the EQ stage. I don't have a good notch for them to sit in.

Nice job Steve...treading that normal fi line again :D
Ha ha! Thanks!
Well, here I am again to say that this is pretty cool. I'm sorry I can't offer any good advice, but I would say that if it had a little more low in the rythmn guitars it would probably make it better, but I'm just here to say I like the song.

So it may just be a wasted post, but who cares, right?

Have a good one dude.
Telling me you like my stuff is never a wasted post! :D
Your voice and melodies have a very interesting sound that I think you should explore in simple song rather than bothering with rock "operettas". I also like your drum sound.
Thanks. I've got a bunch of simpler songs, but I've written all these epic projects too. I figure that if I keep waiting until my skills are really at the point they need to be, I'll never get around to recording these things. Every one of my albums would become my Chinese Democracy! :D
See Greg! Tobe likes my drums! :D

Wow. That post took me so long to write that the site logged me out!

Man! Drums! Why're they always so hard to do right!!

.... and this is the age old question.

You could be a total hambone loser like me and just get ezdrummer.

I rented a drumkit once for a week to see if it was something i could progress at it and thusly in turn play and record my own drums.

Didn't happen. I spent every night just trying to hammer out a steady solid 4/4 beat and it just isn't in the cards for me. What i hear in my head never came out of my body. I didn't expect to be buddy rich after a week but i figured i could at least get consistent at something basic.

So i am paying the price of being fail at drums in the form of my tunes having that 'canned' sound.

I did listen to your mix. And gerg pretty much has it nailed down. I can't offer up anything else other then that this track was better then the last. Still missing something to fill out the bottom. Your bass was a little weak in my vehicle and home stereo.

But i have a question for you steve?

If all three of these tunes are going to go together? Are they going to sonically mesh? Like be sonically equal? Will they appear one right after the other on whatever form of media you release it in. Casue i kinda ran part 2 and 3 consecutively and sonically they were not fitting.

But to play devils advocate your lo-fi approach leaves room for this error. so whatever your happy with. But i could see the sonic changes being somewhat of a pain in the ass to some listeners.

Just thought i would throw that at you Bro.

EDIT: But for what its worth one of the most beautiful albums i have listened to in the last few years was complete and utter shite engineering wise. Michale Graves 'Illusions' album. Check it out, You'll see what i mean.

Yup. The plan is to do a CD with these 3 (plus the forthcoming 4th one) and half a dozen or so of the other songs I've done in the last year or so.

I spent a good portion of last night tweaking the older mixes to get at least a consistent (if not great) sound out of them.

I suppose I should learn how to master music next! :(

Back