e.m.

whoa....what the fuck is that in the intro?!?! whatever it is i love it.......so are you affiliated with the "whammy pedal" people somehow??...you should be:D....

this is simply ass kickingly good....
i cant crank it right now so i wont give mix advice...(itll just suck anyway).....

and theres the switching gears.....

i will say i liked the first half way better

well shit its like 3 songs in one.....lol...

i can see heads swaying back and forth over that last section...

nice.

jamal

my new phrase.... cept I did use it once

"no comments needed..just distribution"

Better drum mixing than on your last one with the panning snare / kick. Weird'o keyboard solos again. Your music is just so dark, that it kinda fits there. I'm still not too crazy about the synth sound of it, but I guess there's not a perfect sound when playing keyboard solos (well, except for a Jon Lord-type of thing :D ).

Your vocals sound too far back on this. Maybe make them louder or lose some of the reverb. Maybe you meant for the middle section vocals to be more quiet, but I'd like to hear them louder. That little bit at 2:55 reminded me very much of the intro of "Damage Inc." and that one song intro by Ozzy. I can't remember, but it was a song from "The Ultimate Sin" album. Your other synth sounds are pretty good. Those dark low sweeps are lovely. The solo keyboard still needs some getting used to.

Songwriting-wise I'm not going to tell you how to write a song, since you can do it :D I may not always agree on the song arrangements, but the more I listen, the more I start to like the changes and moods in your songs, and also (sometimes) the lack of bridges. I guess it keeps the listener on his/her toes more. A good song with good vocal harmonies again. The guitar solos could be louder, but I tend to mix my solos too loud sometimes, so it may be a preference thing also.

And about the bass... No, not too much in my opinion. I think it's about right. Wicked interplay between rhythm guitar and that weird synth-thing at 1:38..

-EDIT-

The 4:15 section is cool also.. a bit like one section of "Fly on the Windshield" by Genesis (I'm always comparing songs to different songs, don't ask me why :D) Those kinda backward sounding synths or something.

(I hope my comments weren't too messy, since I was typing as I listened a few times)

holy shit

I've been sitting here listening to powderfinger and jamal cover "every chance i get", and then I turn this on, and it just about knocks me on my ass :D

I haven't listened to your other stuff yet, so I can't really comment on how it compares to anything else you've done, but i'm loving the guitar sound. Damn. The intro just kicks ass :D I'll make it to the rest of the song eventually :D

travis

First listen through just to settle in to the song was great. The movements are terrific.

Alright I gotta start here. I'm not sure where your going with the vocal mix. It's completely separated from the mix, and I don't mean just levels. It sounds like all low mids, while everything else is BBE'd (or at least smileyfaced EQ'd.) The instruments all sound like they belong together. And I'll talk about them more in a second. But the vocals, while obviously being well written and performed, just don't sit right with me. Could you maybe try backing of the decay of the verb, maybe add some pre-delay to it. Then maybe cut some 300-500K? I know it's a bunch of "back-off-the-jackoff" talk, but that's just what I'm hearing. The first verse lead vocal is closer to mixing with the "band" than the second. The second, while I think I know what you were shooting for, sounds like it was recording on a pc mic, and I don't know why. I just want them to cut through more.
Someone else will undoubtedly tell you how great the vocal sound is, so there will be balance. My ears are early morning fresh and probably overly sensitive right now. :)

The song is absolutely fantastic, literally and figuratively. I actually settled into the changes quickly.

There's so much about it that sounds fresh to me, that I don't know where to start. The guitars sound awesome, and I think the synth choices were fine, even the lead sine thingy. Wall of sound for sure. The guitar leads are nice. You're a very good player.

God damn this is impressive. I wish you could do all this live by yourself. I'd love to catch a Sam show.

You do evil things with technology.

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º> .·´¯`·.><((((º>
.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>´¯`·...¸>(((º>

ŠLûiÇè

Hey, you've got that beautiful Ozzy-sentiment in your voice that sounds very appealing to my ear. But you should mix it better I think (it sounds so midrangy & vague, while the rest of the mix is so 'smileyfaced EQ'd' - thanks for teaching me a new term, SLuiCe)...

So I'm with SLuiCe here, all the way. Even the pic!

I love the fat low synthy sound that starts at 2:24 (weeeeeouuuuch). LOL! Hell yeah!

The end is way cool too!

Jamal - thanks.. yeah it's pretty schizophrenic..

mixmkr - I'm having problems covering your tune.. I originally made a medley out of it with fenderlikingoods song, but I don't think it's working so I started again.. That's why I couldn't post anything for the challenge yet.. thanks mix!

Cranky One - I put up a remix with the vocal a bit louder.. Let me know if it made any difference.. damn.. I realize what your saying about Damage inc.. :D For some reson I spent longer mixing this one than normal, and yet it sounds worse than usual..:confused: I think I'm going to resing the whole thing.. it only took an hour or two to lay the vocals down.. I kinda rushed them.. thanks Crank!

ignition - thanks man!

Sluice - did the mix you listen to say 'remix.' I messed with the vocal sound a bit and put up a new version about 2 hours ago... I may end up redoing the vocals.. I printed the effects so I can't take them off, but I can sure add more effects! :D The only thing I used the BBE for was the bass.. This song is driving me up a wall.. I spent longer mixing it than usual, but it definitely doesn't sound as good.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear what your saying Tom.. IF someone else posted this, I probably would have said something similar.. let me know which mix you listened to.. I may resing it right now and be done in an hour or two.. I don't know.. thanks Tom!! I need help with this one.. cool pic! :D

Pedullist - thanks man... did you listen to the remix? I raised the vox and I'm trying to find out if it sounds any better..

thanks guys!

I hate to say it, but it's the remix. Since you can't edit the verb at this point , could you try cutting some low mids (300-500Hz)? I just want to hear if there's a difference if it's not too much trouble. If you try it and it sounds like shit, don't worry about it of course. You know I'm not trying to be a dink, but your vocals have just been excellent lately, and the sound just isn't there on this one IMO. The performance is, but it sounds like it's behind a wall almost. Hope I'm not pissing you off cuz I know what happens when I obsess over a mix I can't get right. Maybe it's just my opinion too.

not at all Tom.. I hear something is wrong but I'm not sure what it is..

I'm going to try to cut the low mids right now.. I guess I just set the parametric e.q to those numbers and turn it down? makes sense.. I'm thinking I should just resing it with a dryer sound instead of going nuts trying to fix up this turd..

I appreciate any in depth help you want to lay on me..

I do want to get this one nailed because I spent so much freakin time on it!:mad:

:(

I'm listening again, and the first verse I think is mostly the effects buildup. There's still something muffled about them though.

The second section (starting 1:36) I don't know what it is. I know it's supposed to have a less "lead vocal" kind of effect but I think it should be more clear, less muffled. I'm being nitpicky...sorry.

B.SABBATH said:
I'm thinking I should just resing it with a dryer sound instead of going nuts trying to fix up this turd..

I hate to say it, but that's what I would do. I am so paranoid of "printing" effects. I hate giving up that freedom if I don't have to. You should wait for some other opinions though. It's your vision, and I don't want you to get reactionary (like me) just because I sound like I know what I'm talking about. LOL!

thanks for being nitpicky.. thats what I need man..

I'm gonna resing the second section and remix.. should I resing the first parts too?

one more question..

does the mix sound too harsh? muddy? or muddy and harsh at the same time? I want to nail it with the next mix and move on to the challenge tunes... :D

It's the vocal effects. The buildup seems to be giving the impression of mud in the instruments. But I'm very familiar with your production so I'm pretty confident the instruments are fine. But you should consider, with your particular voice, cutting some of the low mids out of the vocal so they don't clash with those guitars and the lower synth parts. That's part of it I think. But the verb buildup I think is keeping it too separate. Maybe.

I know I "gushed" earlier.... but...

you've got too much reverb on the vocals and they sit in a completely different arena than the music. That sticks out fairly prominantly. With 'current' music however, and all the digital reverbs everyone has, that isn't nec. a bad trait in a song. I just didn't like it and prefer the recorded parts to at least have some relation to each other. However, after having said that, I can really like a looong verb on a solo instrument or something like that, to MAKE it stand out from the crowd. With the vocals, since everyone recognizes a human voice, it is MUCH MORE obvious...unlike a synthetic instrument.(which includes all elec. gtrs. and synths...right?)

additionally, whatever you can do to get more separation between things in your 'wall of sound' would help a lot too. ...even if it means dropping out a background synth part or something. A little more "air" around things. It will help to give the rest more punch. An example is when you start the synth solo by itself, then the rest comes in. That worked great. Same with your little chug-a, chug-a on gtrs before you get into the 'meat' of the part that you start playing. Little 'highlights' and 'space' given to [even just] small parts of the mix, really open it up. Gives the 'wall of sound' more force when it is on 11.

thanks mix! I'm knee deep into it right now.. (great way to start off a Sunday) :D

I can't understand why this sounds worse, even though I spent longer on it than normal..

I didn't add any eq at the end or anything.. maybe I will..

I'll post a new version in an hour or two... (not that anyone cares)

thanks again d00dzzzz!

Back