dust in the wind

Very nice JM.....the acoustic sounds great! And, of course, your playing is always first-rate. I liked the guitar playing the string parts but it'll be very cool to have DavidK put a real one on there.
I too thought it was just the tiniest bit fast. Even if the original was this fast, when translated to a guitar instrumental; it sounded a bit rushed but only a little bit and this is being very nitpicking.

powderfinger

somebody was gonna do the vocals but didnt get back with me, so i decided to make it another instrumental. I bought this matched set of octava's for ~$425 with shipping and everything(including the really nice cedar box) from the sound room... it was one of the set of mics that harvey recommended to me. People on ebay claim they have matched or stereo sets, but you'd want documentation like i got with mine. if you dont need a matched set, guitar center or a few other places have them for around $100 a piece.

Jagular

hehe.. funny story. my dad used to put me to sleep with this song ... and I remember him jamming carry on my wayward son also.. ahhhh.. the good 'ol innocent days. I dont remember girls throwing panties at me though :) Thanks for checking this out!

A Reel Person

I agree that the vocals add alot to this piece. I might just try singing this when i get some time. Im not a reel big fan of singing, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion reel person.

wfaraoni

hey there... thanks for your nice post bill. Im definitly not making a living off of my cd's :) thats for sure... or else I wouldnt be doing construction and computer work! But it keeps me mentaly/physically healthy... i guess. thanks again bill

SLuiCe

I dont know what happened to Kgirl... I havent talked to her in a couple weeks... I thought she was gonna sing too, but apparently not...i talked to erland and he was thinking about messing with it, but his PM box is full... I just went ahead and laid down a lead over it yesterday... it wouldve been a boring mix job for you anyway... 2 stereo rythm guitars and a lead... but the solo section wouldve been challanging.. thats for sure! I never get my lead sound right... I think its because I have my preamp on like 8 and my marshall on 1... to keep the noise level down... when my marshall is on 5 I set off car alarms in the next village... maybe i need a smaller amp... hmm

B.SABBATH

thanks sabbath... yeahh..yeahh.. the stinkin electric tone stinks :) I know ... I just have to keep working at trying to mix the cabinet properly... I dont work at it as much as my acoustic and I think it shows ... next time it will sound better :) i hope!

DavidK

i think thats really an accomplishment having played with kansas... I have always been a big fan of them. Im sure you know the solo by heart then.. this should be cool! thanks for taking a shot at this.

TripleM

hey neighbor.. thanks for the reply. I glad you liked all the extra doodads i put in there... I tried to keep it at least half way interesting by using a couple techniques. Im spicing up the ending a little more..i think it could use a little more cool playing with octaves... mixmkr likes that :) take care

darwinsdoggy

one more o in the town your from would be a cool name for a town in Oklahoma! :) thanks for listening to this and i'll talk to you around here... :)

Lt. Bob

Hi Lt. I went back and gave a listen to the original and its really close.. but mine might be a couple bpm's faster... i agree that being a little slower wouldve set the song into a smoother pocket, but hey its just a cover song :) As always... Thanks!

Sounds really great Jeff,I liked the electric part,nice touch.
Really added a nice variation to the song.
Cool ending.

Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing it,
Pete

.......this is gonna be a good one. :) ....real violins are gonna smoke all up in this.

.....is it done yet?

.........youre reading this! Dont read this, MIX Jeffy MIX:D :)

Beautiful song, beautifully done. Damn, this is good. I'm giving it 4 out of 5, and I'm a parsimonious bastard, mind.

Sound - delicious sound on the acoustics.

Playing - that little flourish at 0.44 just vaulted you into the John McLaughlin sweepstakes. :D Lovely.

There's no reason why an electric guitar shouldn't be quieter than an acoustic, right? I was gonna say crank the e guitars a bit, but I've changed my mind, because it *sounds* good.

Sth to consider: the reason why the accelerated tempo works so well is because you're doing this on acoustic guitars, and acoustic fingerpicking lends itself to slightly faster treatments. That's what picking's about. That's why we have bluegrass. But imagine when the e guitar came in, that it was way less busy in terms of notes played - long, intense notes that took their time against the flurry of acoustic picking. I think it would be even more effective than it is now. You could evern reserve a flourish of the faster break playing for the end of the break - drama! But can you bring yourself to dust off the axe and redo the break? :)

This is just a beautiful piece of music. It works really, really well as an instrumental. This recording *lives* right in front of that main acoustic guitar. Good work.

Jeff I have a question for you about another song which you do so well.

Its called "Ardor" , is that an original or is it some classic your doing a cover of. Do you know where I can get the tab?
there are some very, very beautiful runs in there that Id like to try to add to my playing.

I can't believe that your not making a good living with your exceptional talent. Then again neither is Jagular with his.
whats wrong with todays tastes in music has everyone gone deaf from the thumping 130 db bass?:D :confused: :mad:

Peace and prosperity to you
Bill

muzeman

hi pete..

glad you could make it to this one. :) let me know how your new compresser sounds when you get... new gear is always fun to play with. :) talk to ya soon

dobro

thanks for the detailed review... i really enjoyed it. I agree with everything you said... your right on. Im gonna leave the solo section for david.. I think the natural violin will sound nicer... but the guitars were unique. take care dobro!

wfaraoni

bill... i wrote and recorded that song ardor, so I dont think you could find any tab books on it.... yet :) I can tell you that most scales are extracted from the pentatonic scale... which is a scale that always plays very well against major/minor chords. That is a scale that you really cant screw up... once you know all positions in all the keys... you should become famous with no questions asked! :) :) thanks bill

Back