dubstep remix...wadda I know??

Works for me. You've got a real way with this genre. And my cat likes it too. She's sitting here on my mixing desk as I'm working on yet another 80's guitar tune--and she perked up when I stopped to listen to this.

Maybe I should put her in a FedEx box and send her to you.

no...look after the cat dude...this is not cat friendly ;)

well actually as a veggie it is safe for cats...not humans though <bang, nine, automatic>

I'll keep her. I can't afford to lose my drummer.

Attachments

• drummer_jess.jpg
    drummer_jess.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 36
Cool, totally cool, what a soundscape!
I felt like I was sitting in the middle of a room with all those freaky sounds revolving around me. You're a master at this Keith, your mixes sound magic.;)

Hey Bob, can your cat play the drums on my next album? How much does she charge...?:D

Thanks Joe :)

Just trying to get a more modern sound out of my mixes, cant live in the late 80's all my life...theres a couple of untidy spots in this that Ill sort out this afternoon but overall Im pretty happy with it

I think it sounds amazing. Probably my favorite mix of yours so far if not my favorite tune.

You had some slurring sort sounds towards the end that sounded like a tape being slowed down - what was that?

Was there something from a technical, mixing perspective that you did to make it sound more modern, or was that more in the choice of material and the choice of sounds you began with? This sounds really, really good mi amigo.

I think it sounds amazing. Probably my favorite mix of yours so far if not my favorite tune.

You had some slurring sort sounds towards the end that sounded like a tape being slowed down - what was that?

Was there something from a technical, mixing perspective that you did to make it sound more modern, or was that more in the choice of material and the choice of sounds you began with? This sounds really, really good mi amigo.

Thanks Pete!

the modern sound is basically the bass and beats...I used 6 different tracks and cut them up adding different effects to each track...the tape slowing bit is just automating the tempo with a heavy delay and a couple of filter on one of the bass tracks in a separate project and then imported it into the song..I did it a couple of times at the end of sections just to blur it but it was a bit overpowering..a whole afternoon just to use 2 seconds worth..I have too much free time :D

Ive been listening to some dubstep recently to see if its a genre I could replicate but its just so sparse its hard for me not to add layers of stuff on it...and it sounds like parts are just muted and unmuted which sounds lazy

the drums were a little difficult..dubstep's generally in triplets which from a 4/4 guy is just damned hard to get my head around lol

Last edited:
...the tape slowing bit is just automating the tempo with a heavy delay and a couple of filter on one of the bass tracks in a separate project and then imported it into the song...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I thought you did it...:confused: :)

I've never heard dubstep before. From what you're saying I guess this isn't terribly authentic (?), but I like it. I've heard dub reggae of course. That is more just remixing a reggae tune and constantly adding and removing parts and adding and removing lots of delay...usually very sparse.

The beat on this is pretty chaotic, so I can understand it would be difficult to work with.

Its pretty authentic....but I hope to improve as its my first bash at it...the tape bit isnt even the bass but the tails of the delay on the sub bass

I thought it was a completely new genre but after listening theres loads of tracks that are really similar to dub reggae, almost like its just been remixed in some cases

forgot to say I havent forgotten the track you sent me...just finishing off some stuff first then we'll rip into your 174.87692347 bpm rocker :D

Wild and Crazy sounds? -check
Cool narrator's voice? - check
Drops here and there? - check
Floaty synth stuff? - check
Sweet mix of everything? - of course :D

That's today's sound!

Thanks man!

though the genre may be dead before Ive even got into it...Britney has a dubstep breakdown in her latest single...she has killed it lol

Heh.. Man, I've never understood this music. At all. Yet your musical prowess in electronica never ceases to amaze me. After listening to this, and having had my Korg Radias for an embarrassingly long time with absolutely no results whatsoever, I want you to write a "how-to" on creating electronic music. I'm very, very interested in your workflow, your tools, your software, and anything else I can gleam from you. I'm talkin' step-by-step, filters, effects, loops, everything... I'd be willing to pay you for your time, too.

Amazing, my friend. Simply amazing.

Heh.. Man, I've never understood this music. At all. Yet your musical prowess in electronica never ceases to amaze me. After listening to this, and having had my Korg Radias for an embarrassingly long time with absolutely no results whatsoever, I want you to write a "how-to" on creating electronic music. I'm very, very interested in your workflow, your tools, your software, and anything else I can gleam from you. I'm talkin' step-by-step, filters, effects, loops, everything... I'd be willing to pay you for your time, too.

Amazing, my friend. Simply amazing.

man thanks Jason...I really appreciate the compliments

I read a lot and follow workshops in the three mags I subscribe to..I also like to deconstruct songs when Im trying to learn the genre..its a bit clinical and not very musical but I always pick up a guitar inbetween lol

Id be only too pleased to write a tutorial in how I approach doing this..I can pretty much write the basics for attempting a house, trance, D&B track..or even this, Ive just finished my learning part on dubstep..the one Im doing this weekend is far more true to the genre and should be finished later in the week..so just pick one and Ill break it down, beats, effects, settings, synths, everything

How would you like it sent to you? Im not sure I want to publish a help guide on HR at the moment as the admin team have a habit of banning me so maybe something more private??? but paying me? lol, you do more than enough just listening and commenting on my shite :D

Back