dtb and 60's guy - The River (revisited)

60's guy

During the spring of 2006 I was fortunate enough to make the online acquaintance of dtb (Dan Thompson).

I’m compelled to pay tribute to my good friend Dan because I recently read that Dan may not be able to attend Jamfest 7. :(

I was thrilled that Dan asked me to collaborate with him prior to Jamfest 6 on a piece of music that he was in the process of recording. He sent the file which was strictly instrumental and I must say that I don’t think that I had ever been more impressed. The file Dan sent consisted of mandolin, keyboards, and drums.

When I first listened to it, my feet started tapping and the word, River, jumped out at me. I added additional percussion, a simple bass line, a touch of acoustic guitar, wrote lyrics and recorded the vocals.

The coolest thing of all is that Dan and I did get a chance to play this song together when we finally met each other at Jamfest 6.

I'm reposting this for anyone who hasn't had a chance to hear Dan's mandolin playing yet, and also because I spoke with Dan earlier today and he gave me a green light to post a link to some final touches that I put on the mix.

The River

I fell in love at the river

For the first time in my life

At the edge of the river

On a moonlit night

She showed me love

And what love means

Young girl took me higher

Than I'd ever been

Take me back to the river

Where I became a man

Take me back to that river

Where I learned who I am

Where she showed me the way

I've lost my way

Show me the way back there

Show me the way

To the river

We fell in love at the river

For the first time in our lives

She shared her love

And I shared mine

We gave each other

Wings to fly upon

Where I became a man

Where I learned who I am

Show me the way back there

Show me the way

To the river

very nice mandolin playing, kudos to Dan. Cool song overall and ncie arrangement. Is that you singing? Sounds cool for this song. (I hear some Peter Gabriel in it...) Good job overall!

:o Yeah, that's me singing.

Ignore the vocal. Listen to the mandolin! :)

60's guy said:
:o Yeah, that's me singing.

Ignore the vocal. Listen to the mandolin! :)

Lovely mandolin playing!!! Love your vocals, but the recording heeds a lot of help; there is a ton of compression artifact in some tracks, and not in others; the net effect is a weird, phasey EQ thing. You can hear it in whatever sound is supposed to be the hihats and cymbals. It also creates an artifically distant space between the instruments.

It's a really cool tune, some good tension. Cool ending. Thumbs up!

Llarion said:
Lovely mandolin playing!!! Love your vocals, but the recording heeds a lot of help; there is a ton of compression artifact in some tracks, and not in others; the net effect is a weird, phasey EQ thing. You can hear it in whatever sound is supposed to be the hihats and cymbals. It also creates an artifically distant space between the instruments.

It's a really cool tune, some good tension. Cool ending. Thumbs up!
Phil,

Dan doesn't have any capability of transferring individual track wave files, so any additions I made were after the fact and added to his mp3 file. I hear that phasey EQ thing myself, but it's not a big deal to me.

It's more important that I made a good friend in the process. :)

60's guy said:
Phil,

Dan doesn't have any capability of transferring individual track wave files, so any additions I made were after the fact and added to his mp3 file. I hear that phasey EQ thing myself, but it's not a big deal to me.

It's more important that I made a good friend in the process. :)
No argument whatsoever. The bond is the thing. The rest is just equipment. Glad you guys got together! It has mojo!

You guys were meant to work together. Great collab all around. Here's hoping Dan gets back to playing mando soon. :cool:

The phasey bit is only a distraction at the very beginning on the guitar otherwise it has a sense on wholeness & late 60's ness.
Nice.

Back