[deleted]

That's not bad at all. What's your miking setup?

The bass and kick are kind of mashed together. Toms get lost at times. The whole kit sounds a little too centered. I personally like the kick and snare centered, but I like to hear some spread in the toms and cymbals. The hats are kind of sizzly. Are you getting a lot of bleed through the snare mic?

Thanks guys - after hearing your tracks I really trust your opinions. Is there anything you would suggest I change before it reaches the final mixing stages?

What do you think about working with the tape saturator? Does it lose too much clarity? I was thinking maybe using it on just hte snare to thicken it up a bit more... but again I'm worried about losing its crispness.

That doesn't sound bad at all.

Wow, he lives... ;)

Yammie, on the original track the drums sound hypercompressed, and the massive bass completely overshadows everything. And hell, I'm a bass player! I like bottom... :D

The tape saturator did fatten it up, but it also took away all the edge and made them a bit wet. Try just a stereo expander, and then use a reverb that you have more control over, nip the low frequency shelf up to 250Hz at least...

thanks llarion. yeah, i think i'm definitely going to redo the bass. he recorded it through a head, and i can't seem to mess without it enough to get it to quit being so massive without losing all balls. maybe i'll have him record it direct so i have more control over it. that shoudl give the kick a little more room to breathe too.

thanks llarion. yeah, i think i'm definitely going to redo the bass. he recorded it through a head, and i can't seem to mess without it enough to get it to quit being so massive without losing all balls. maybe i'll have him record it direct so i have more control over it. that shoudl give the kick a little more room to breathe too.

Amen to that. Direct rules. You can always add things in post, but you can't take them away, as you've discovered.

yeah thats hwy its so centered. We didn't really use any true overheads and I was getting a lot of hat bleed on the snare - so if I turn up the hat mic I can only get a little taste of stereo wideness before it starts to be wayyyy too much hat.

The mic setup was -
1 kick
1 snare
2 toms
1 ride/overhead
1 crash/overhead
1 hat

The room wasn't the best, so we lowered the overheads to the point where they are acted more like individual cymbal mics.

I think the bass is one of the big problems with the kick... no real separation. Unlike drums, I can get the bassist to do it over again pretty much any time (our drummer lives 2 hours away, so we can't really do much recording on a whim). I may try going for a less boomy bass, which may lend a little versitility in kick.

Are there any glaring frequencies that jump out at you that need work? I think i may have overdid the kick under 100 hz.

I'd concentrate on the bass. If the drums have to stay how they are, work with the bass and see if you can get more seperation from the kick. If your kick is heavy in the sub 100 range, maybe roll those frequencies off the bass, and maybe pan the bass just hair off-center. And since you close mic'd the kick, you can always just turn it up. Aint nothing wrong with a loud kick. :)

Thanks - i was getting most of my thump in the kick from around 80hz. I'm going try redoing this mix over htanksgiving weekend, if you guys are interested in a followup i'd be happy to post one.

Back