Drum session tomorrow...

That snare drum sounds like a coffee can YUUKK!!. The rest of the kit sounds usable.

That snare drum sounds like a coffee can YUUKK!!. The rest of the kit sounds usable.

I agree. That snare has no balls whatsoever. Turn the lugs about 5 turns counterclockwise. :D

Recording sounds good though. Toms sound great.

Very nice sound!! What gear are you using?

Firepod, 57 on hitom, I5s on snare and midtom, atm25 on lowtom, CAD m177s for cymbals, some Audix pencil condenser for the china, the kick is a sample from The Blue Room's free gogs he posted a looong time ago.

I wish the snare wasn't cranked but it cuts through a dense mix just fine. Any suggestions except for making the drummer tune differently?

nice gear, and again, nice sound :)
I'm going to experiment a little more with large diaphragm condensers as Overheads. I just got a brand new pair of Behringer B2-Pro for that (amongst other uses). You don't use room mikes?
I usually don't like the coffe can snare sound ala St. Anger. But I like this one, and if you say it cuts through a dense mix, even better. I will try tuning mine higher, since my mixes are waaaaaaaaay overcrowded in the bass area.
As for the toms, I would use the same mikes for all of them, at least for the high and mid. I can hear a notable difference of tone between them. I would most likely would have used the SM57 on the snare and the I5s on the toms.
By the way, the firepod seems to be great... If I ever get a laptop, I will buy one of those as a companion.

The Firepod is pretty great, I think it's better to spend 300 bucks on one and then to dump a few hundred into treatment than to get a better quality interface.

I used the M177s as cymbal mics, not necessarily overheads. I've done enough of this kind of music to realize that the close mic has to define the sound and that it's better to use 'overheads' to control the cymbals.

I love LDCs for rock music but for what we're gonna be doing tomorrow, I'd prefer some nice small diaphragms to spot the cymbals instead.

No room mics usually. I'm getting pretty good with impulses peppered with paralell compression to simulate room mics. It sounds better than what I get with my garage : )

lol. I'd love to. This guy and I are on bad terms anyways. I'll see if I can get him to experiment though. I'd prefer it at least a LITTLE looser.

Run sends from your individual close miced drums into a bus and compress them, really hard, to get either more attack or more sustain/depth. Then apply a convolution reverb (or any reverb) to the track and mix it in until it sounds like a nice live drum sound, and then send that back into the mix and adjust it so that it just barely raises the volume of the whole drum kit/adds the desired ambience.

It is, in effect, creating a fake room mic.

Back