Drum mix test

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
I have really been working at recording acoustic drums. Man what a bitch. I think I made some progress though. I worked on tuning the kick differently. Finally found a pretty good place for the room mics(best place yet) Oh, and my bro gave me about $2500 in cymbals. What a difference good brass makes. I think even just having shitty brass up on the stands screws the whole sound up. Well if ya got a minute check it out. It's just drums bass and guitar doin Back in black. Oh one more thing, need some input on the low end. Hope it's not to boomy.

Test at the bottom

I am worse than useless when it comes to critiqueing drums...just ask joro...but they sound freaking great to me.

Mutt Lange catches a lot of shit these days, but he also produced the greatest hard rock album of all time, and the drums sounds on your test do it justice. Funny, how could the same producer who did Back In Black then resort to a cheesy Alesis drum sample for Pyromania?

...couple of kick clams that I won't mention...oops, lol.

Anyway, I think you're good on the drum thing.

Thanks chris

Yea, not worried about performance. I think its comming around. But man, the hours spent pissin with drums. I just can't stop though. I'm a firm believer that if you don't have good drum tracks, you aint got shit, ya know. I don't really have anywhere to check the mix at here at home. Something else I need to buy real soon.

chrisharris said:

...couple of kick clams that I won't mention...oops, lol.

Anyway, I think you're good on the drum thing.

Now your technical expertise is shining through...

to the tunage....

I thought the snare sounded a little soft...not enough pop...
cymbals sound real good..
kick is cool....
guit tone is kickin' too...bass is a little bottom heavy...nice crunch to it though...

say......
I got a question for you Hangdawg....

can you sing like AC/DC?
and...

do you like pie?.................I like pie...............

The snare sounds great in my opinion and I think you should bring it up some more. Some hits of the kick sound a little "stiff" if that makes sense to anyone. How many mics are you using for this and what position are they? I'm interested.

thanks dudes.

Well, Joro I do like pie first off. Secondly, I can do certain AC/DC songs. This happens to be one of the ones I can't:D I've tried and it's just not right. Maybe I'll cover one of the ones I do well one of these days.
thanks for the listen

Fatt

I think I know what you mean by stiff. I'm not really a drummer although I'm learning out of neccesity. I used 4 mics. SM57 on snare about 45deg angle 2" above head at the rim pointing at the center. Kick mic is an Audix f12 placed inside kick off center to the right and pointing at the beater impact spot. And 2 Audix f15 SD condensors X/Y 5' centered in front of the kit and right about tom height. That's it.

i think the snare needs to come up. The guitar tone is great

not really anything new i can add to this.

good brass does make all the difference. on the kit i have in here right now half of it has decent cymbals the other half is crap. I try to avoid using the crap as much as I can when im playing it.

Not bad, but the snare really needs to be fatter/bigger if you're going for the same sound as the original -- also, I don't think the cymbals should be quite so prominent.

Drums sounds are so personal... my ideal drum sound and yours aren't gonna be in the same ball park.

But yet, here's my thing.

I like the drums dirty. I like 'em to pump a little bit. Your drums sound GREAT, but they're too clean for my taste. They actually sound like samples, which might be what you're looking for.

Again, all this is my opinion. Too much compression on the top of the snare. I would back off that, or actually move the mic to the side of the snare drum, and get more shell, less head. Let the overheads pick up the top, or if you have another track and another mic and pre, mic the side and the top of the snare... and the bottom. You see how sick I am?

The kick sounds good... nice beater click that translates well to a non-bass reproducing speaker, such as the cheap ass polk computer speakers that I'm listening through right now... but again, the kick is too clean. I like a little grit on the kick.

Anyhow, I think if it's what you like, don't change a thing because you've pretty much got it nailed.

I think the sound is great overall, but I have one thing thats irritating me. Is it just me or is there one hell of a lot of "sibilance" on the hi-hat. Normally you don't get this kind of high frequency sound, its a bit irritating. Sounds fab otherwise.

Again thanks to everyone for the listen. At least I feel like I'm on the right track. I think some of the minor issues like the snare comming up and being fatter might have alot to do with the fact that I can't play very well. I think things would be much different if a real drummer were playing:D My brother is also giving me a 5 piece set of birch Tama Granstar customs. I can't freakin wait.

Snare needs more body. Try micing the shell up close with a mic that has a hyped upper-mid like a 58. Works for me.

Those cymbals do sound pretty good. Lots better than those tracks you made for the cough HRC 4 cough tune we were working on.

BTW: got any more lines? :D

Kick sounds good. I like the cymbals, although the crash could decay a tad quicker.
I like your snare sound, I think it's well recorded, but like others have said, it needs more oomph in that song.

You can try using parametric eq on the snare track to get more punch. If you roll off below 100Hz, boost between 150 & 300 Hz and cut between 400 & 500 Hz, you should get a decent crack. Another boost around 4 - 5KHz will add crispness

Back