Down by the River-Collaboration

Drums were a bit loud to suit my tastes but, thats just my opinion....otherwise, I liked it a lot, maybe eq it to make it a bit crisper(is that a tech term?) Nice work....enjoyed the listen!:D

Nice reading. The drums are a long way up front.
The b/vox work well.
The effect on the main guitar doesn't quite ring true in the chorus.
I love the lead sound.
Define the bass a bit I say! Particularly if the drums are going to stay loud.

Thanks for listening Jay & Ray!

I was using some new headphones for this rough mix, so I probably went a bit too heavy on the bass and drum parts. The guitar rhythm parts are a Tele copy and a couple of 12 strings-I might need to lose one of the 12 strings on the chorus, it does seem a bit muddied at times. I put an EBow harmony part to the intro that faded in that I'm not too sure about-it sounds more like violins than guitar.

The lead sound is a small 20 watt tube amp with a Boss blues driver giving it a small boost and a vibrato effect called a 'Vibrothang'.

I wasn't sure if the harmonies would work-but when combined they sounded okay.

Some cool sounds...drums do seem a bit loud, but sound good. Quiet them, and the vocals will probably sit pretty well. At this point, that is all I hear that needs some attention...the music has some really nice sounds, and I think the vocal delivery is pretty cool....little polishing should work. :cool:

Hey Tony

I love the intro Ebow

Listening through the monitors and the headphones, the snare is a bit too loud, but I love the tone....I like the soft splash of the cymbals..they could come down a bit too..? The panning sounds good on the drums.

I think if you turn the snare back a tad, the bass will sound about right. I would think too much bass on this song, would bottom it out too much...if that is a term even...:D

I can't remember for sure how the original on this goes and it is a favorite song of mine...but it was the version by Buddy Miles I liked the best.

Love the tone on both Tele and Paul. Smooth on the first solo and dirty on the second.

The 12 string rhythm tracks really fill out the song, but with two of em, the lead solo sorta gets muddied up and I love the lead on this.

Other than the snare and cymbals...the mix sounds good to my ears.

The singing is spot on....I wish you could have done Neil's singing for him..:D

Are you using delay on your voice or reverb.? You got it just right whatever you used...excellent.

Love the way you ended the song too...Rock on brotha!!

Kudos!!!!

I'm working on a version of Down by the River by Neil Young, here is the first mix, needing comments on what needs done, added, removed....
The drum loops were added by Tele Paul, I've added the rest, so listen and comment!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=541176&songID=5825352

Hey Anfontan,

As mentioned earlier the drums and the high hat could be bought down a few db's. The vocals and back up vocals sound great.
The lead guitar I think could do with a little less harshness in the tone, a little more warmth will help it sit in the mix not on top of the mix, with a slight drop in db's as well.
The rhythm guitars sounded fine to me on the speakers I listened on. I couldn't quite tell how you positioned the 12 strings in the mix, but before dropping a 12 string track maybe pan the two 12 string tracks hard left and hard right.

Nice work Tony and TelePaul. :)

Dogman said: Some cool sounds...drums do seem a bit loud, but sound good. Quiet them, and the vocals will probably sit pretty well. At this point, that is all I hear that needs some attention...the music has some really nice sounds, and I think the vocal delivery is pretty cool....little polishing should work.

True-eurt said: Hey Tony

I love the intro Ebow

Listening through the monitors and the headphones, the snare is a bit too loud, but I love the tone....I like the soft splash of the cymbals..they could come down a bit too..? The panning sounds good on the drums.

I think if you turn the snare back a tad, the bass will sound about right. I would think too much bass on this song, would bottom it out too much...if that is a term even...

I can't remember for sure how the original on this goes and it is a favorite song of mine...but it was the version by Buddy Miles I liked the best.

Love the tone on both Tele and Paul. Smooth on the first solo and dirty on the second.

The 12 string rhythm tracks really fill out the song, but with two of em, the lead solo sorta gets muddied up and I love the lead on this.

Other than the snare and cymbals...the mix sounds good to my ears.

The singing is spot on....I wish you could have done Neil's singing for him..

Are you using delay on your voice or reverb.? You got it just right whatever you used...excellent.

Love the way you ended the song too...Rock on brotha!!

Kudos!!!!

Gorty said: Hey Anfontan,

As mentioned earlier the drums and the high hat could be bought down a few db's. The vocals and back up vocals sound great.
The lead guitar I think could do with a little less harshness in the tone, a little more warmth will help it sit in the mix not on top of the mix, with a slight drop in db's as well.
The rhythm guitars sounded fine to me on the speakers I listened on. I couldn't quite tell how you positioned the 12 strings in the mix, but before dropping a 12 string track maybe pan the two 12 string tracks hard left and hard right.

Nice work Tony and TelePaul.

Thanks for the listen and the critiques Dogman, True, and Gorty!!

It's unanimous that I have the drums too loud and I think the bass is a bit too loud as well. I'm going to try knocking a few dB's off and see how it sits afterwards. The same for those 12 strings-there are a lot of frequencies happening with all those strings that need a bit of taming.

Gorty, I agree that the leads have a harsh bite-especially the les Paul at the last solo breaks-its mostly a bad habit of attacking the strings so hard from decades of gigs and trying to cut through the mix on solos. I'm going to try some frequency cuts and see if it can sooth them a bit...it nothing else I will try to redo the solos and see what works.

The 12 strings were panned to the slight left-the other to the dead center-Tele rhythm pannd slightly right. The dead center one was probably the problem......

True, the vocals were treated with Studio reverb in Audition, its called 'Vocal Reverb-large"

The guitar solos were treated with a "Slow Attack verb"

12 strings were amplified by a small tube amp-I have a temporary mounted Tele pickup in the sound hole to amplify it and add some natural tube distortion, the mic was a MSH-4, one of Naiant's tube condenser mics.

That faded in EBow sounds like a couple of fiddles tuning up to me after I've heard it a few times---guess I've been playing with the bluegrass band too long~:p

Hey Anfontan. Sounds good. Those "oooh, la la la ohh la la la la" backing vocals could come up a bit for mine. Ears that is. Drums are a bit heavily featured. Nice washing kind of guitar tones. I don't know if washing is the right word. Good job

Sounds great to me. I love the "ooh-la-las". Nice lead tones. Very nice job all around. :)

My only nit would be the sound of snare. It's presence is perfect, but it sounds kind of thin and weak to me. Just personal preference though. I like big rock snares on everything. :D

Sounding good Tony...I can't tell if it is one of the 12 strings or both of em combined, that is overriding the vox and solos. And I wanna hear the solos clear and out there.:D

Hey Anfontan. Sounds good. Those "oooh, la la la ohh la la la la" backing vocals could come up a bit for mine. Ears that is. Drums are a bit heavily featured. Nice washing kind of guitar tones. I don't know if washing is the right word. Good job

I adjusted some levels, try listening to the new mix Down by the River Collaboration#2 and see if it settles some of the over powering drums problem-and thanks for the listen and comments!

Sounds great to me. I love the "ooh-la-las". Nice lead tones. Very nice job all around. :)

My only nit would be the sound of snare. It's presence is perfect, but it sounds kind of thin and weak to me. Just personal preference though. I like big rock snares on everything. :D

Thanks a lot Greg, especially from a guy that plays it all the way you can!

The drums are a loop so I don't think I can single out the snare-the loop was sent to me and I used it as is.

A big thanks again anyhow!!:)

Latest mix sounds really good. The lead gtr is just a bit edgy... maybe a bit too much in the upper mids.

True-eurt said: Sounding good Tony...I can't tell if it is one of the 12 strings or both of em combined, that is overriding the vox and solos. And I wanna hear the solos clear and out there.

XLR said: Latest mix sounds really good. The lead gtr is just a bit edgy... maybe a bit too much in the upper mids.

I think I will try to redo the solos with a cleaner tone-I cut mids and highs and the guitar tone is the problem.
I might pan the 12 strings wider and drop the levels as well-True..

Back