Doo Dah

I like it as a soundtrack to some sort of "funky" colorful dance video. It seems a bit repetitive after a while and could use some sort of "bridge / break / modulation" or the like...to add to the overall piece....but that's not that critical. I also think the bass guitar needs to be heard more. The bass is a but weak but could really add to the tracks' punch and impact.

Having said that....remember....that's just my opinion....and I wouldn't have commented at all if I didn't like the track....but I really do.

Thanks for the listen.

:listeningmusic: Takes me back to my first band. One of the first songs I learned was Curtis Mayfield's Freddie's Dead.

I can hear a louder, slap bass for this but I like it where it is now.. and maybe just a dB or so louder. IMO, prominent slap bass has been over utilized and is a bit cliché these days.

I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology, but the overall sound seems a bit hot to my ears, like it needs some compression.

Other than that, I pretty much go along with [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION]'s comments. I like it.

[MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION] , Thanks for the feedback. Not only is there no chorus, bridge etc. There's really No played chord progression. This was an experiment of playing off a single chord groove and trying some new cello stuff. The bass has been a real problem for me .. and I'll try and punch it harder. Thanks ! [MENTION=174503]spantini[/MENTION] , I understand the Hot comment. My final mix was pretty "spikey" from the drum track. Maybe I should squash it some and bring the overall mix up. I mastered in Ozone and Its finishing up now at -14lufs but only untill it gets to the end. I tried the slap bass , but not being much of a bass player I opted for a more subdued filtered bass. I'll re address it. Thanks ! mark

It's very nice. Put me in mind of Herbie Hancock & Average White Band. Mix coming across loud and clear on headphones. Anything from here on would be personal preference, but I agree the bass could be a little more prominent

All the instruments sound great, and the performances are awesome. It's a very good mix overall. I do agree that the bass is the only real problematic thing. It sounds nice when it's audible, but it seems to be kind of coming in and out a bit, phrase by phrase. One phrase will be nice and loud, and the next will be much less audible. It seems as though some automation could be used to even it out before adding any compression.

Regarding the arrangement, in lieu of a bridge or contrasting section, it would be nice if there were at least one really obvious solo section, you know? Like ... "Here's the cello solo!" And maybe a few things drop out to thin out the texture at first to signal it's happening. As it is now, it doesn't really seem as though anything really takes center stage the whole time. It kind of sounds like a bunch of people jamming (very well!) along and looking at each other as if to say, "Ok ... what next?"

The link now reflects some changes I made from your suggestions. I did some copy and paste to some of the lean bass sections , used automation and different compressor settings. I think it's much better now. I also added a short cello section near the end. Soundcloud introduced some noise at the Very End of the fade out , I'll fix that later. Thanks to everyone . To famous beagle , that was a great evaluation and very well put. If I didn't quite make it , let me know and I'll keep remixing.. mark

Alright.. :listeningmusic: Much smoother, and the bass seems much better - blending in, then poking through nicely where needed.

I'm going to call this one Finished.. "Such great tones and playing from everyone!"
famous beagle. Thanks for the comment , I wish there was an "everyone" but I do everything myself. That's why I depend so heavily on Forum help and your great suggestions. Thanks again .. mark

I'm going to call this one Finished.. "Such great tones and playing from everyone!"
famous beagle. Thanks for the comment , I wish there was an "everyone" but I do everything myself. That's why I depend so heavily on Forum help and your great suggestions. Thanks again .. mark

Ha! Well then ... give yourself multiple pats on the back. :)

Back