don't know which genre you'd call this

YellowDwarf

Dismember
Sorry, I've been lurking not posting much. Fractured a rib a few weeks back, but that's no excuse!

Here's a new one. I've tried to apply the tips of everyone over the past few songs and "think" I've put out the best version of this song that I can. Please comment, both good and bad.

Thanks,
Timbo

v1: plastic faces in the know = they dance about in our dreams
mirrors on the buildings transmit stolen thoughts to the sky
plastic spirits whisper ill = we can no longer fend them off with fire
gargoyles frolick in the wood = so beautiful, insane

c: we cannot slay the monster
we have no thoughts of our own
wild roses choke our playground
tomorrow never comes

v2: plastic faces on the go = foster fear and stifle our minds
mirrors on our eyes in our ears = who can see the fire?
plastic spirits spouting ill = demons shouting gibberish from on high
gargoyles frolick on the wall = so beautiful, glorify

People by YellowDwarfBand | Yellow Dwarf Band | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Pretty interesting sounds. I'd don't know what genre I'd call it either. I like the drum groove with the heavy ride. Are you using soft synths?

Funny!

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it's "electronica" because Bulls Hit is right, everything but the bass guitar and my voice are softsynths, mostly the ones you get with the AKAI Advance keyboards.

Timbo

Funny!

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it's "electronica" because Bulls Hit is right, everything but the bass guitar and my voice are softsynths, mostly the ones you get with the AKAI Advance keyboards.

Timbo
Just goes to show that expensive analog synths are a matter of taste and will not necessarily get u better results

Definitely EDM, but sounded good to me.

I am wondering if you could get more sound depth out of the mix. I have listned to some EDM guys and some of those folks really know how to pull out some sound.

Thanks for the replies, now I've got to check out EDM and Indie Electronica music. As for unique, I'm tired of putting out guitar rock and have been aiming for something different.

Timbo

enjoyed this, ..sounds like rock to me. But, im old and everything i like sounds like rock to me. No real nits. Im listening on headphones, and here the lead vocs might be juust a little loud in spots. ..debatable though.

I am wondering if you could get more sound depth out of the mix. I have listned to some EDM guys and some of those folks really know how to pull out some sound.
I forgot to ask, can you please explain what you mean by "sound depth"? Do you mean instruments forward and backward in the mix?

Thanks,
Timbo

I forgot to ask, can you please explain what you mean by "sound depth"? Do you mean instruments forward and backward in the mix?

Thanks,
Timbo

Yea, I listened to some of those EDM guys and they seem to know how to pull out sounds from within sounds. What you have is really good, but with some "EQ mining" you might find some treasures inside the sound that makes it even deeper and richer.

Not sure if that makes sense, but listen to some of the top EDM guys, they really know how to carve our sound.

To be EDM, I believe you need a giant mouse head, some designer drugs, an LED light show, and roughly 500 people dancing. Besides, the vocal has a very strong psychedelic or even transcendental element which places it in a different league. I wish it was 1980 and this was being played on an obscure underground college radio station. Then you could call it Post Punk and be done with it. Today, all bets are off. There is so much genre bleed that musicology as a pursuit may soon cease to exist.

I often struggle with the same dilemma: what to call it. Currently, I'm describing my own work as Post Punk Folk Punk. I'm attempting to transcend Folk Punk by taking it backwards several decades, adding a touch of Americana, Jazz, and Funk. The songs also have their roots in pre-ampalachian English folk tunes and are heavily influenced by the work of Robyn Hitchcock, Tome Waites, and Alex Harvey. My only dilemma is the pedal steel. Every time I play it on a track, it gets called Country. Old timey I can handle. Just not Country, especially where it crosses over into Pop.
Insert crazy old man emoji here.

I'm attempting to transcend Folk Punk by taking it backwards several decades, adding a touch of Americana, Jazz, and Funk. The songs also have their roots in pre-ampalachian English folk tunes and are heavily influenced by the work of Robyn Hitchcock, Tome Waites, and Alex Harvey. My only dilemma is the pedal steel. Every time I play it on a track, it gets called Country. Old timey I can handle. Just not Country, especially where it crosses over into Pop.
Sounds very interesting!

Insert crazy old man emoji here.
Musically, 1958 was a long time ago, if you get my drift.

Musically, 1958 was a long time ago, if you get my drift.

True. But things were simple then. You basically had Jazz, the remnants of Big Band, the roots of Rock and Roll, Country, and the Blues, Soul and R&B. Folk existed, but not as an industry like it became in the early 1960's. Elvis was in his first year of military service where he was safe, and Eisenhower had no playlist. Nothing really "crossed over" until Dylan brought a Fender to Newport, and genre was a French word used by people who went to college. There wasn't enough variation in music to justify the use of sub-genre.

Today, everything is hyphenated to the point where no categories really exist. Soon, everyone will have their own category as we all go individual together. The Grammy Awards will no longer be dominated by Pop-HipHop-R&B artists. The award winners will simply fall under the categories of Tom, Dick, and Harry. Although, to be honest, we won't use Tom, Dick, or Harry. Those name are gone. We have invented new names based on the amalgamation process, where old names are combined or often just spelled in a new way. So the names are likely to look more like Tomdick or Harri. Like I said, we are going to hell in a hand basket.

So I think you should beat everyone to the finish line. Call your music YellowDwarf music. It has a nice ring to it and one day you may actually see the development of a large number of yellow dwarves who follow you. Or at least copy your style as an homage. You may even get your own category at the Grammy Awards.

Mix sounds bright and clear; the synth melodies at eg 3:00 recall Jan Hammer on the Cobham "Spectrum" LP. Excellent imagery with just a hint of menace.

enjoyed this, ..sounds like rock to me. But, im old and everything i like sounds like rock to me. No real nits. Im listening on headphones, and here the lead vocs might be juust a little loud in spots. ..debatable though.

I agree that this song is closet to modern rock. It doesn't have that many basic EDM sound and structural elements, in my opinion, and it's not dance-oriented, which is a property of most EDM (electronic dance music). I liked it a lot!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rexinator, number 6 and dwillis45. I was trying for a bit of funk in the lead at the end, with the cymbal going on 2 and 4. But the song itself and stuff I've put out recently may have drum roots in hip hopish rhythms with rock "thinking", I don't know - it doesn't really matter as long as folks think its got a groove.

And I meant that I was born in 58 and that carries a lot of musical baggage with it!

I thought that was a cool sound vocal. What effects were on it?

The main synth riff is a little brittle.

I didn't care for the trumpets. It didn't seem to fit.

Bass sounded excellent.

Back