don't die!!

Must have been a fun session. Some great ideas here, and good performances too! Got some clashing on the monitors in the lower mids it sounded like, between the E. Piano and the guitar. Drums sound pretty damn good to me. I think I would like the piano to come down about 2 or dB. Overall good sound. Again, must have been to play!

EDIT: Oh ya, that harder rock theme that repeats again at the end is awesome.

forgot to add, its a live recording - from the board direct to disk (and they make to much friggin noise).

PLEASE LET THIS BE THE FIRST RESPONSE

SJOKO2 - YOU ARE AN ASS-WORSHIPPING, WEENIE GOBBLER, and...and...AND I HATE YOU.

:D <---- (this indicates "joke" above)

(what, no vocalist for folks to bitch about).

I know nothing about mixing, and I really don't care, but if this was played in one sitting...and recorded directly to disk live...then I'm taking up golf.

good.

Super for a live take. And Zappa is a pretty ballsy move. Is this the same version that was just up on NoWhere Radio posted under the band URU? If it's not then you should try to find that one. Done by a band with Ainsley Dunbar as the drummer.

AND ANOTHER THING!!!

As I'm writing this, the thread has one star. That makes absolutely no sense based upon this mix, so I'm assuming that somebody just hates you.

here's more.

yes B... as in Uru's band ;)

Somebody hates me??????? Oh dear lord, moi?

I've added another song from the same session

Last edited:
I thought it sounded familiar, I found that one a couple days ago and gave it a quick listen (the title made me do it since I love Zappa), no wonder it's such a good take. Must be nice to work with such pro musicians. Now at least I know who you are. Top notch recording sjoko and great job mixing the live tracks :D

Oh yeah, added some stars too, this deserves it for sure ;)

pretty damn solid for a live job...........the only thing i didn't care for too much was the guitar tone...i don't know what it was about it either......a little too cheap effects sounding.......i don't know, small complaint

good live recording

very good live recording, and the musicians are great..

personal preference would have been less chorus on the lead, but that's because I have to complain about something..

me to, he used a small flnger pedal, it sucked. But you really have to listen to the other sone I posted, I need some bitchin' about "singers!"!

..now maybe im stupid.....and i do play the drums....but .....who the fuck is ainsley dunsbar?????.....shiould i know this..?....is it intrinsic to my knowledge base as a musician,?...or is this just a chance to drop a "name"....lol:D ...because one time at band camp.....i was playing the oboe..and the guy who plays tuba was the litlle brother of the guy who filled in for one of the guys in foreigner.........

sorry heheh..but i heard SOMEONE say this guys name like 12 times in ANOTHER thread i saw once....

thanks jamal:cool:

there ya go....the vocal one is far superior [to me] than the other one. The other one didn't necessarily get my rocks off on any special playing or anything, but was good. Definately nice live mix, for sure... Better than a lot I've heard.

the vocal one had some great drum sounds. Really liked 'em.

In particular. ...the cowboy song had some widely panned drums, which I like, but the way they were played, they went quickly from one side to the other most of the time...rather than your typical panned roll from one side to the other. I'd vote for wide panned drums however, in almost all cases, no matter how they are played. Cymbals came thru perfect. The jam sounds like a typical "get high" jam in C (d minor...whatever..) and shows that the musicians can at least interpret what the other musicians are trying to do. The drum playing is great. The elec pno is dated, and I could do with a more powerful gtr lead solo sound less effects. However, kinda reminissant of the old Billy Cobham stuff, in a ways...especially with the gymnastic drumming on the dbl basses.
nanununununu... The vocals are very decent. and again the Billy Cobham style drumming....with a great dry sound. 4033 for OH and your 451's on the HH?....reason...great cymbal sounds. Some of the best I've heard around here. Keyboard player needs a new (read more current) setup, but comes up with decent licks. I'da taken even an old Stevie Wonder clavinet over this sound. This is my main beef with both tunes. The guitar playing is very good, but falls a just tad short of saying" HOLY Shit!!"... However, I need a drummer like this. ...and the sound too. I liked the verb on the intro breaks. I'd be interested in what you used. Presumably this is before your new setup, and seems to be on most tracks...or across the stereo mix??? What kind of board are you tracking this on?

minor quibble...your mp3 has a funny fadeout ending.

two good things to listen too. Thanks dude...
now...back to the flaming...you queer, Jerry Springer, late night TV watcher....
I need to go heel VoxVendors feelings now from some previous statements...!

Btw...again on the drumming...exactly like I'da done 'em...sound, panning...balances. Even the kit sounded great....just Spot on.

bass instrument....?:confused: don't really remember...had my mind on other things....

Just listened to the other song.....smokin'! The drums are sound super sweet, very nice work :D

jamal buchet said:
...because one time at band camp.....i was playing the oboe..and the guy who plays tuba was the litlle brother of the guy who filled in for one of the guys in foreigner.........

LOL :D

No way your stupid jamal. I guess who your familiar with depends on your influences. The reason I know him is he played with Zappa, who is known for playing with only the best drummers, guys doing stuff in the late 60's and 70's that still blow today's stuff away. But Ainsley Dunbar is world famous, played with all kinds of people. I don't know what his roots are, but if you do a google search you'll probably get more references than you know what to do with. :cool: :D

Sounds great for a live recording. Was that live to 2 track? Great job.

I would like a little more high end and spacial definition but that's hard to pull off with a live mix. Was this a live concert recording or live in the studio? If it was live in the studio I would like a little more room sound on the drums to give it less of a close miced live sound but that's all pretty subjective. Well done.

TexRoadkill said:
If it was live in the studio I would like a little more room sound on the drums to give it less of a close miced live sound but that's all pretty subjective. Well done.

I almost wanted to say that too...but I remember the days of mummifying all the toms with duct tape and kleenex...and these kinda reminded me of that...but I liked that sound to a degree. Remember Disrali (sp?) Gears...? Ginger Baker...same sound...great sound too. I suspect these drums have never seen such an abortion.. Great sounding kit.

Some details?

It was last month, live in a club over here - empty club, awfull sound. Used the house board, which should be shot, a scrap heap would be to good.
Yamaha - sucks.
Bussed the Yammer, out to 2 track.
Setup
Bass - Simon System direct
Keys - 2 x Simon directs (old keyboard, spare, his normal rig was still on the road).
Guitar - line level out of a THD Univalve.
Drums - believe it or not, this is a DW kit with one kick, one rack and one floor tom, hat and 2 cymbals - that's all.
Mics for the kit,
2 x AT 4050 overhead
D112 on kick
AKG C418's on both toms
AKG C451B on hat
Sennheisser E604 on snare top and bottem.
Vocal, Shure SM58 on vocal.
2 old yamaha verbs on auxes

I really like the playing and recording of "Chunga's Revenge". You've got to have some balls to cover FZ. I've considered doing that later, when I know more what I'm doing. To my ear it sounds great, especially considering your usaga of some lame equipment.

Thanks for posting this, and please let us know whan you've uploaded more.

Denis

Live recordings these days don't sound live at all, haunts of the direct in, digital world.

Ah, live recordings used to kind of suck anyway.

Great work, must go play again!!

GT

Back