Don't Ask for "Sympathy" (Remember What You did To Me)

Well, starts out pretty nice...cool intro riff. You could probably bring the music up a db or 2...vocals sound good, but are on top of the music. Music is a bit quiet, so try and bring that up first...see if it mixes together better. It's not bad by any means, just needs to be a bit more cohesive. Make teh levels a bit more even, and then maybe a small amount of compression on teh mix as a whole...not too much, just enough to keep any spikes from happening. Maybe -6 or less, after you bring the music up. Sounding pretty decent though... :cool:

Dude, this is a really cool song. Has a Dire Straits sounds in places. I'd really like it if the singer would just belt it out like crazy. It doesn't sound like you singing it.

Anyhoo, which one are you in the picture on the page?

I really like the song but would like to see the vox really belted out and the level more uniform.

The guitar playing is really nice and really cool. And the drums sound nice which is always a good thing.

:)

Gerry,
Good song.
The 1st syllable is almost inaudible & there's a bit of variation in the vocal volume throughout. Is there a single vocal track that can be played with the get an even level - be it compression or fader riding? The level is particularly low when the words are squeezes out &, it sounds like, the singer tilts back from the mic.
2nd listen - bass seems to be listing to the left in my h/phones.
The drums come up pretty well & the guitar sits well all the way except though gets lost behind the drum build at 2.01.
The stuff I vaguely hear in the faded out section sounds tantalising.
Good sound overall.

This is a cool tune ido. I think Ed has some good tips on the mix. Some compression on the vocals also would help even them out and get them sitting in the mix better.

Love that guitar tone ido! Sweet :cool:
I agree with the rock stars above about the evenness of the vox, they're definitely louder during the verse than chorus too. Maybe a slight cut in the vox low end too (?)
Bass and drums sound good to me, the chorus is cool :cool: :cool:
Maybe a clean solo jamming the melody would fit in there too.
Good work ido, good rocking jam here, enjoyed it much ;)

Dogman - Thanks for listening and commenting. I think Mike wrote that intro riff - he's equally adept at guitar or bass. :cool: I'll talk to Mike about a remix to up the music a bit and to use his DBX compressor on the final. I think he used it but I'll check.

bigbubba - Thanks! I like the comparison to Dire Straits - one of my all time favorite bands. This tune is written and sung by Mike (MJHAMIL). He's the bass player in the group. Photos - in the group photo it's Gerry/Lee/Mike. I have a solo photo posted next to this song in Soundclick. :p

rayc - Appreciate the listen, sir.....this is one of our favorites to play as Lee really cranks it up on the drums. Compressing the main vocal could be done if we were to wire the compressor inline when mixing down. I'll pass that to Mike for consideration. Possible compressing the whole mix might work but we'll need to test that theory. I agree - that fade out was a bit preemy - there's a couple more riffs that are pretty cool :D . Mixer's discretion however....

Bulls Hit - thanks for taking the time to listen, we appreciate it. Will look into the comp. suggestion....

SnakeDog - Thanks James ;) We can look at the low end in the vox too....Though there isn't a defined lead break in the tune, but I'm trying to add some lead riffs in spots to spice it up - still working on that :D

This is being played "live" with no overdubs and I know I tend to move back and forth from the mic myself in that situation. A dynamic mic might make that more noticeable too (proximity effect). Those are Lee's new drums you hear in this take :D

ido1957 said:
bigbubba - Thanks! I like the comparison to Dire Straits - one of my all time favorite bands. This tune is written and sung by Mike (MJHAMIL). He's the bass player in the group. Photos - in the group photo it's Gerry/Lee/Mike. I have a solo photo posted next to this song in Soundclick. :p

Well, glad to make you happy with the Dire Strait comparison.

Second, now I know what pictures goes with that nickname. :) Just like putting faces with names. :)

I pretty much agree with what everyone else said as far as the production goes. It's a cool song though with good playing and a nice guitar tone. Drums sound great. You'd gig every day of the week with that type of material down here in Houston. Good stuff. :)

Would you be cool with my using that stuff in my podcast?

(on the mixing I too agree that I would like the vocals a little louder.)

Really dig the guitar tone and playing style here...bass guitar seems to be timid at times...this tune is laid back and groovin'...I dig it!

variaxman said:
Really dig the guitar tone and playing style here...bass guitar seems to be timid at times...this tune is laid back and groovin'...I dig it!
Thanks for the listen variaxman....this is one of our favorite songs to play - Mike started with a good groove and we just built on it with drums and guitar.

Back