Does This Sound Familiar?

tonesponge

I sort of wrote/improvised this "song" recently, and I am wondering if this is one of those times when I have unintentionally copied something else fairly closely. It's not the sort of thing I normally write, and it came along a little too easily. Plus it just plain sounds familiar. Or maybe it just sounds generic and lame, I dunno.

So basically, before I go putting any significant effort into recording it, please let me know if you do or do not recognize it as some other song. I apologize for using 256 bit, but the 320 bit rendered a 2.1 meg file, and apparently that is too large for me to upload, because I was a dirty ho in a past life, or I blasphemed the name of scrod, or some lame reason like that.

Attachments

• BIA_Sample_16bit.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
It's vaguely reminiscent of some 70s folk pop song or another, but I can't remember what song it reminds me of.

I'm a dirty ho in this life, by the way. :eek:

It does sound familiar, but so what? Everything is ripped from something else. Elvis, Jerry Lee, and Little Richard all played the same song over and over, and that's back when rock and roll was new. There's only so many notes you can use and so many ways you can use them that sound good. You're always bound to sound like something else, or sound like shit. Those are your choices.

You gotta work on your timing. I don't regard this as a song though......

Yeah, I hear it too. I was just getting the idea down, so I could practice it. If I move forward, I'll put a lot more effort into it.

I'm curious why you don't consider it a song? I mean, do songs have to have lyrics and be sung? There are lyrics, but I'm just playing the guitar melody in place of the vocals, becasue I don't feel like singing.

I think the tune was "Darlin' Come Home Soon" [I don't think I can stand another minute of this waitin'.] Just the verses.

Can't remember the artist. Lovin' Spoonful??

It doesn't sound like anything at all that sticks out to me, until the end of the clip and then ''Mother'' comes to mind from Pink Floyd. I'd say go with it because it is not the same at all. Sounds good too!

Yeah, I hear it too. I was just getting the idea down, so I could practice it. If I move forward, I'll put a lot more effort into it.

I'm curious why you don't consider it a song? I mean, do songs have to have lyrics and be sung? There are lyrics, but I'm just playing the guitar melody in place of the vocals, becasue I don't feel like singing.

You said it yourself, it's just an idea. And no, a song doesn't have to have lyrics.

I heard Darling Be Home Soon immediately when I first listened. Great song, but then, I liked alot of the Lovin' Spoonful stuff. Continue with the song though, it has potential and obviously you weren't thinking of the LS song when you wrote it.

Back