Does it groove?

Ex3vious

Hey guys, wanted some feedback on a preliminary mix of mine. I'm not looking for feedback on the mix as far as levels eq or anything but I'm more concerned about how the song feels, is there a strong groove and beat that can be felt or is something a little off? Thanks for taking a listen and providing feedback.
https://soundcloud.com/ben-2014/major-rocker-demo-1

You have a real nice tone on that bass. It cuts through real nice. I think your playing sounds a little off time from the guitar through the intro and breakdown parts. That throws the "groove" off a little in my opinion.

You got the drums sounding pretty good, nice space around them. The guitars sound ok, but I think they are a little shrill up top.

It does rock, has a nice groove...just fix a few little things and you will be good to go.

The guitars. Sounds like they are early in places. I can't hear the bass well. Zoom in on the wave forms. You should be able to see it.

The guitars. Sounds like they are early in places. I can't hear the bass well. Zoom in on the wave forms. You should be able to see it.

Yes Guitars are definitely early, maybe thats what I am hearing. I still think the bass sounds good though, the guitars are just alittle loud.

I think things sound pretty good. I like the drums and bass. The guitars sound pretty good too. But the double tracking needs to be much tighter.

Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback it seems I just need to re-do the guitars and go from there. I'll post the new version in a few days when I have time to re-record.

You'll get there. Always helps to zoom in on the waveforms and see how you're really locking up with the beat. Groove is in the ears, not the eyes, but you can train you ears to hear what is there better if you can see it.

Mixwise, turn down the guitars. You want a powerful sound so the first thought is to turn the guitars up loud. But it actually sounds weaker because the low end gets drowned out. Doubling guitars and panning wide, the guitars don't need to be loud to have impact. I'd drop their levels down so they connect with the bass.

Is that your bass or MIDI on the low end?

Sounds like a perfectly good rhythm to me, there's nothing off at all imho. It doesn't make me want to dance if that's what you're going for but I can't think of any rock songs that really do.

spacing was the first thing i noticed that worked well here. nice job achieving that. i don't care for that style of distortion, a bit too "scratchy" for me, i think.

bass seemed a little hollow, i'd call it. maybe not much going on under 80 hz? but hey, i'm no bass-perfectionist, so take it lightly. drums sounded very good.

The mix is much, much better. The bass and guitars are connecting now. Maybe it's my ears, but I'm still hearing the guitars coming in ahead of the beat in places. Especially when you go from the Bm to the C chord. Just my opinion. As I told you before, I'm hypersensitive because I struggle with this tendency myself.

Back