Doc Watson cover - Another acoustic home recording adventure

keith.rogers

This is just a recording of a practice my friend and I did yesterday of some songs - me trying to get my fingertips back after about a month off, traveling, etc. This was the last song we did of about 6 before heading to an open mic, and it's one we probably have done a half-dozen times since we started showing up together last fall. The other guy (Kim) is a clever and talented guitarist. This is a relatively quick mix in Logic Pro X, recorded on my Zoom F8n.

Columbus Stockade [Blues] - Doc Watson Cover by Keith.Rogers | Keith Rogers | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Still searching for a key with my vocals, and too much bleed everywhere to do anything about that...

Well Keith......I think you guys did a great job on this one. Not my musical cup of tea but thoroughly enjoyable performances and mix. Nice tones and balance and excellent vocal tones. I hear you about trying to find your key. If you're referring to the very few minor vocal slides and slips and misses........I think they're no big deal as they add to the "done live" feel to the recording. If I had to guess....it felt like you were concentrating so much on keeping a level vocal volume and mic position while playing............and that always gets me in a bit of pitch trouble....sometimes timing too. You had no timing issues and your pitch "glitches" were minor at worst IMO. Thanks for the listen.

Thanks for the listen and comments [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION] - I was probably thinking about what the words were, as that's my biggest hurdle in these things ;). I had a failure in an earlier song we worked on when I was trying to remember whether I'd turned on a camera or whatever. Staying focused but appearing to actually be engaged is not easy!

Edit: Went back and used the 2 side-angle cameras to make a quick video (playing with sepia and "alien lab" color fx :)).

YouTube

Last edited:
Excellent recording of acoustic guitars and vocals. Acoustics, in my opinion, are one of the most difficult things to record and mix.

I can't ever get them to sound this good.
Great job keith!

Excellent recording of acoustic guitars and vocals. Acoustics, in my opinion, are one of the most difficult things to record and mix.

I can't ever get them to sound this good.
Great job keith!
Thanks. I've done this setup twice now when my friend comes over - once back in September. It's really the room that seems to help a lot, because I don't have to do much at all, and it's just a single SDC on each guitar, with some bleed into that old SM58, of course.

Back