Do you hate this? Jury is out?

rob aylestone

We've been experimenting with blending old and new - So - will put this up for scrutiny. In fairness, I expect people to hate it because it blends three kinds of music that should maybe be kept wildly apart.

It's an old classical piece from the 1700's with a jazz brush style drum track and the orchestral instruments replaced by synths. Sacrilege to many, but I rather like it - We've done a few reworking of old classical music, inspired by what Tomita did in the 70s (and got away with). It's odd enough to put here for you all to tell me how we shouldn't have done it, but hopefully a few will like it.

If you do like it, but hate certain aspects - please feel free to pick things out, as I want to do more I think?

EDIT My colleague thinks messing with old classical music is a big no no, and I don't agree.

Jazzdagio - YouTube

Last edited:
I reckon it is great and is not a heretical thing to do. I enjoyed Walter Carlos and Tomita. And Emerson Lake and Palmer with, for example Pictures at an Exhibition.

With my musical collaborator we have done part synth, part symphonic versions of assorted pieces from Satie, Mussorgski and others.

A musical acquaintance of mine, who is a folk music historian mentioned once that you need both: traditionalists who will preserve the past, and experimentalists, who will explore the possibilities.

Here is a Raine & Wageman version of Satie's Gnossienne #3

I had original vinyl copies of Tomita's Snowflakes are Dancing and Firebird Suite, ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition, along with my Atlanta Symphony Firebird, my DG Pictures. I enjoyed them all.

Jazzdagio was pretty nice. Why would anyone think it sacrilegious in any way?

WOW!

I find all of this kind of music quite inspiring! I love listening to things like these when meditating or just trying to chill. A great break from the usual rock or Disney music that fills my house.

Props guys!

I am not sure my input is valid other than I love it. :D

What's to hate ?
It's a lovely piece of music. I am, by nature a harmonizer and fusioneer. I'm that guy that cooks with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers of various colours, ginger, garlic, peas, sweetcorn, plantains, carrots, okras, celery and whatever else is in the fridge. I'll even chuck in pineapple if there's any ~ and I'll chuck in meat or fish with it.
So I could hardly criticize an artist for mixing electronica, light jazz and classical !

Two of my classical friends lightheartedly chastised me for messing with history! I did quite a few for my own fun really, moonlight sonata, some Debussy and Saint-Sean that kind of thing. Messing with history seems to cause some dissent.

Back