Divine Right to Deforestation - new VHS song

Vocals sound great. Like the harmonies. Slapback delay on them worked well.

The little guitar riff during the verses is excellent. But the guitar sound is a bit too muffled for me. I think it needs a little more upper midrange.

I'm having a little trouble hearing all of the vocal in the break-down section (is that a last verse or bridge). The bass synth doing those accents covers the words.

The little dry "for the panda bear" at the end was a cool touch.

Drums sound good. I'd probably raise the OH's/cymbals.

Overall a very good sound.

Thanks. Yeah, the down section is a verse. I can see what you're saying about the synth burying it.

The cymbals may bee too quiet, yes.

Terrific song. Really cool chord progressions and melody. Lyrics and the guitar riff are classic VHS. You're moving forward with these last few tunes.

Levels all over the place. The lead vocal disappears during that jam toward the end, when it should pop out. There's not enough drama to your section changes. For example, the start of that first "Did you ever think" section should at least get a drum fill. Drums are a bit lackluster. Programmed?

Good job. How come you stopped commenting on my songs?

Terrific song. Really cool chord progressions and melody. Lyrics and the guitar riff are classic VHS. You're moving forward with these last few tunes.

Levels all over the place. The lead vocal disappears during that jam toward the end, when it should pop out. There's not enough drama to your section changes. For example, the start of that first "Did you ever think" section should at least get a drum fill. Drums are a bit lackluster. Programmed?

Good job. How come you stopped commenting on my songs?

Yeah, drums are sequenced and procedurally-generated.

I didn't intentionally stop commenting on your songs. I think I just didn't notice the last thread or two.

It's much better mixed and edited with the latest version. However the dissonant keyboard is off-putting. You have a very sweet vocal melody, and great performances on both lead and backing vox. That's the selling point of your song. The loud, dissonant keyboard part craps on it.

I liked it better in the first mix when the keyboard was barely audible. Personally, I'd lower back down (or ditch it), or else recompose the part to make it less dissonant.

The sibilance on the lead vocal is little too much, and the reverb makes it more noticeable.

Very good song. I'll vote this one, your last one about the monster lizard, and that teenage girlfriend song as picks for the next VHS album.

Which key part are you talking about? The vocaloid in verse 2, the buzzy synths from verse 3, or the high-pitched blippy synth on all the choruses?

Teenage Girlfriend is already on a Regdar album, so I probably won't re-release it this time!

I'm thinking it's that high pitched blippy thing. I'm definitely hearing discord in the first and second choruses. I'm guessing the line contains a lot of non-scale tones that are clashing with your chord progression.

The part over "we've got a divine right to deforestation" sounds better.

I'm not really hearing a problem over the final chorus.

Hmmm... that can probably be chalked up to the RNG then. That synth is doing fundamentally the same thing all 3 choruses (i.e. randomly flipping between I, III, V, and octave of the chord)

Steve,

I loved this song, great irony = I'm going to be singing this for the rest of the week.

I'm thinking a few things on the mix:

= fabulous intro, nice snap to the snare drum
= the woooh ooh backing vox need to come forward a tad
= I think the bass should come quite a bit forward

... but besides that - Wow. Any song where god looks like an idiot is a good song by me ...

Timbo

Listening to mix 3. Meant to listen to this earlier but got sidetracked and missed it...

Everything sounds great to me. The slapback sounds really good here. Not sure if you brightened the rhythm guitars since the first mix, but I think they sound fine. The mix overall could maybe be a little crispier, but sounds great as is. A few db of 12k on the master bus would do the trick, if you haven't tried that already, or maybe even on the drum bus. Again, still sounds good where it is. If you have the Slate stuff, try some Lift or Revival on the master bus...

The last chorus, the vocals seem a little softer than the rest of the song for some reason. Listened again to make sure, and yea, they're a tad softer there. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I noticed on both listens. If anything, they should be at their most prominent here as it's the last moments to convey the song's message.

All in all, great mix. Other than brightening the mix a tad as a whole and turning up the vocals a hair in the last chorus, it's spot on to my ears. Great recording.

Thanks, Johnny.

Yeah, the guitars got brightened in mix 2 or 3.

It's possible I just sang the last chorus a little quieter. Chorus 2 is meant to be the angry peak of the song, which is kind of a weird arrangement choice.

Back