A different kind of mix contest

chessrock said:
Alright, I'll throw my hat in.

I basically did some experimenting on this one ... and this is just sort of where I felt it would be fun to take the production in my head. Not necessarily where I would take it if I was charged with the responsibility of the actual mix :D ... but definitely where I had some fun with in a "what if I did this" kinda' way.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3503&alid=-1

Sounds sweet chess. The only thing I don't like, and obviously this is an opinion/preference thing rather than it being unbalanced or something, is the reverb/delay stuff on the vocals. It sounds awesome, but I think it could be turned down about 10%. Other than that your mix sounds badass. Feel free to tear mine to shreds.

Edit: I really want to know what kind of delay/reverb effects did you use? They actually sound awesome I just think theres a tad too much.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
The only thing I don't like, and obviously this is an opinion/preference thing rather than it being unbalanced or something, is the reverb/delay stuff on the vocals. It sounds awesome, but I think it could be turned down about 10%.

Oh, I totally agree. :D It's way too much.

Not the way I'd normally mix something, but when I first heard it, it kinda' made me think early 90's / Tesla kinda' deal (yea, I know -- Winger called and they want their delay pedal back). I almost like it on the backing vocals, though. I cranked the midrange just on the delay, which is kind of a trick from that era.

I'll check out yours this afternoon.

Bartman said:
Bear's mix is best hands down. Excellent overall balance and outstanding command of the low end. The mix is very natural sounding. It sounds good without gimmicks.

l8tr

Gary

The sound Bear got on those drums gives me a chubby...

:)

CGibson said:
Hey Bruce
How's my mix sound on the ADAM's ?

C
Good job, C! Decent balance overall - my only comment would be that it sounds seriously overcompressed when the gtrs and drums kick in - making the mix sound a lot thinner than it should be. Also for me it's a bit too heavy in the verbs on some of the vocals for my tastes.

You made the guitars a bit brighter than I did, but I found them far too fizzy in the raw tracks which is why I darkened them.

JazzMang said:
I also listened to my favourite blowhard - Jazzmang's - mix...... he needs a lesson in low-end response - likely due to a poor monitoring environment. Try a low-cut at 40Hz -- you're losing a lot of the power due to extreme lows sucking up a lot of your headroom, resulting in an unnecessarily small-sounding mix. Guitar balances were good, as were the vocals - both sat well... but the drums were awful and whatever you did to the snare isn't working at all - all click with no definition or punch. You'd be the last person I'd ever take drum sound opinions or advice on.

Also that doubling of the guitar intro isn't working - sounds sloppy more than anything. For someone so loud-mouthed and opinionated, I expected a much better mix -- but it's often true, the one with loudest mouth is often compensating for a lack somewhere else -- in this case, it's mixing and audio critiquing ability. Thanks for playing, buh-bye........ :rolleyes:

Some good entrys. I like Bears version the best, Strave's version seemed to over compressed for my taste.

There was one very quick and easy trick I found that made a noticeable and obvious improvement on the snare track for this particular mix.

Anyone who can tell me what that is gets a cookie.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Good job, C! Decent balance overall - my only comment would be that it sounds seriously overcompressed when the gtrs and drums kick in - making the mix sound a lot thinner than it should be. Also for me it's a bit too heavy in the verbs on some of the vocals for my tastes.

You made the guitars a bit brighter than I did, but I found them far too fizzy in the raw tracks which is why I darkened them.

Thanks Bruce for giving it a listen. (really!)
I love to hear opinions from working engineers as well as all age groups. It helps me to better understand what the next group coming into the studio will consider a hot mix. It certainly helps hone your since of a mix based on style type and age group.

If it were my tune I would consider it over compressed also. I call this “The Money Mix”.
Every time I try a nice and easy compressed mix, the groups will Inevitably Vito it almost every time.
Most people these days don't own a real home stereo. They judge all mixes solely based on car audio blasting on +10.
So if you take my mix and blast it in your vehicle, that's what the kids want every time.

For what it's worth, if I did any other mix other than what you hear, 95% of the groups I record would have rejected it.

I’m confused why nobody at this point has noticed a third part harmony throughout entire song.
Does this mean we have mixing engineers here and not musicians trying the mixing thing?

From a professional view (yes…I said professional) I just wanted to point out that all of the senseless bickering would certainly gain nothing. I don’t care who you are. If you put yourself on a pedestal and refuse to take advice and at least consider opinions, your only making your own skill that much smaller.

Not saying I know it all……..or why would I be here.

CGibson

Hi there

New guy in town :)

I've tried to make a little mix out of those tracks that has been provided in this thread (I've ignored 2 of the guitar-tracks)... hope you like it :rolleyes:

You can download the mix here (approx. 6 mb):

Cheers,
Mike

CGibson said:
Thanks Bruce for giving it a listen. (really!)
I love to hear opinions from working engineers as well as all age groups. It helps me to better understand what the next group coming into the studio will consider a hot mix. It certainly helps hone your since of a mix based on style type and age group.

If it were my tune I would consider it over compressed also. I call this “The Money Mix”.
Every time I try a nice and easy compressed mix, the groups will Inevitably Vito it almost every time.
Most people these days don't own a real home stereo. They judge all mixes solely based on car audio blasting on +10.
So if you take my mix and blast it in your vehicle, that's what the kids want every time.
Hey C - I hear you about getting things "hotter" in level, but that generally can't be done at the expense of hearing the compressor kick-in. Once you hear the compressor actually dropping-down the overall volume, you've shot-your-load so-to-speak! There's a finite point where the mix is as hot as it's going to get (via limiting) and where you actually hear the limiter kicking-in. Strave's mix is WAY over that threshold... your's is just over it.

I've had client want it "hotter" too, and I give it to them, but if they want it so hot that I can hear the limiter obviously kicking the level down, then I give them a bit of education on the subject. If they still want "hotter", then I say it can be done, but only at a mastering house at an additional cost. Then I send the project out, or they stay content with my recommended setting! Part of it is simply education the client a little bit on the pros and cons of level versus limiting artifacts.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Hey C - I hear you about getting things "hotter" in level, but that generally can't be done at the expense of hearing the compressor kick-in. Once you hear the compressor actually dropping-down the overall volume, you've shot-your-load so-to-speak! There's a finite point where the mix is as hot as it's going to get (via limiting) and where you actually hear the limiter kicking-in. Strave's mix is WAY over that threshold... your's is just over it.

I've had client want it "hotter" too, and I give it to them, but if they want it so hot that I can hear the limiter obviously kicking the level down, then I give them a bit of education on the subject. If they still want "hotter", then I say it can be done, but only at a mastering house at an additional cost. Then I send the project out, or they stay content with my recommended setting! Part of it is simply education the client a little bit on the pros and cons of level versus limiting artifacts.

Hey, I have a question for my own benefit - maybe others as well.

Are the guitars recorded with too much compression? They sound like they are compressed on everybodys mixes to me. Especially when they first come in. Some mixes are better than others, but they all have that "sound". I haven't listened to the raw tracks yet. Maybe tommorow.

NL5 said:
Hey, I have a question for my own benefit - maybe others as well.

Are the guitars recorded with too much compression? They sound like they are compressed on everybodys mixes to me. Especially when they first come in. Some mixes are better than others, but they all have that "sound". I haven't listened to the raw tracks yet. Maybe tommorow.

No compression was used on any of the tracks going in. I do know that the amp was cranked, so you're going to get that natural overdriven amp clipping (read limiting) coming right out of the speaker bottom.

caryindy said:
No compression was used on any of the tracks going in. I do know that the amp was cranked, so you're going to get that natural overdriven amp clipping (read limiting) coming right out of the speaker bottom.

OK, that must be what I'm hearing. :)

caryindy said:
I do know that the amp was cranked, so you're going to get that natural overdriven amp clipping (read limiting) coming right out of the speaker bottom.
Exactly!

Distorted guitars very rarely need compression for dynamic control -- as a coloring tool, sure, but not for taming peaks... In my mix, I didn't compress them - all I did was a little EQ shaping, and pulling out some of the top-end (because I found them too "fizzy" for my taste!)

First off, nice song:) I have done a couple of the mix contests and so far these were the easiest actual tracks to mix. I personally like the heavy guitars, and the drum tracks are decent etc... I wsih there was a hi hat track though. I would love to have a little of that crispy hat sound going thorugh the verses with the clean guitar a bit, but oh well:P

I did listen to a couple of the mixes so far.

Blue Bear..... there were things I liked and didn't like. I thought the drums and bass were pretty nice. Not necessarily the style I would have gone after on the drums, but very cohesive none the less. The vocals were a little dry for my taste, but its all just opinions isn't it:D The biggest thing that I didn't like was that the heavy guitars had a real muddy feel to me. try out some of the HF sweeps on that new Sony of yours on a guitar buss or something. This sort of song needs to have a lot of energy in the heavy guitar riffs to me.

Strave, there was some cool creative stuff that I really liked in your mix, but also some really serious engineering fauxpaux's in my opinion. First off, I like the little drum compositions. I really liked the flavor that they added. I also liked the vocal sound. It was maybe a little processed for my taste, but I though it did fit pretty well. I also really liked the heavy guitar sounds, but thought they were a little overbearing in the mix. Tone was good, maybe just back them off 4db throughout. I saw earlier that you thought the vocalist had some pitch problems. Tnhis may be true, but I felt like the vocalists emotion was worth more than any problems there may have been. I feel like the vocals would have sounded better without autotune. I heard more autotune artifacts in your mix than vocal problems without autotune. The biggest problems that I had however was in the drums and bass. First off, after the very intro I fell like I never hear the bass again. I like the kick sample you chose, but it seems to loud compared to the rest of the kit. Quite a bit too loud actually. Its quite possible that the drums would sound a lot better (at least to me) if the kick went down about 6db and the heavy gits went down that 4db I mentioned earlier. That may even solve the bass problems that I heard as well. The compression however is a different story all together. It is most certainly WAY overcompressed. I don't know if it is just mix compression, but it sound like a drum buss or maybe even overhead compression to me. To me the overheads sound seriously smeared and out of whack. Not only that, but whenever the heavy guitars kick in I feel like the drums just dissappear (except the kick which in my opinion is just too loud throughout the whole thing. I do understand that the current pop punk genre loves to release those excruciatingly loud mixes. They do it however without the serious smearing and pumping that happens in your mix. Getting a mix that loud but without artifacts like that is not an easy thing to do. It requires careful attention and great gear. Also, did you replace the snare with a sample? It sounds a little too processed and steady to have been the real snare. Personally, I don't like that snare sound a whole lot, but kudos to you if that was the real snare track and you managed to make it sound like that. It sounds like a real snare to me in the sense that it does not feel heavily EQ'ed. Just not the snare sound I would have chosen. Also, the toms have no punch to them. That would have been Ok if the kick wasn't so punchy though. Basically, no good drummer gets a kick sound like that without the rest of the kit sounding in timbre as well.

Of course these are just my opinions, nothing personal so take it how you guys want.

Now that I have given my feedback, here is a link to my first 30-45 minutes of this song:)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/xstatic/singles?aid=4450&alid=-1&1111094015

xstatic said:
The vocals were a little dry for my taste, but its all just opinions isn't it:D
Definitely personal preference --- I liked the way they sat drier and with depth/ambience rather than reverb.

xstatic said:
The biggest thing that I didn't like was that the heavy guitars had a real muddy feel to me. try out some of the HF sweeps on that new Sony of yours on a guitar buss or something. This sort of song needs to have a lot of energy in the heavy guitar riffs to me.
I mentioned earlier that I didn't like the fizzy sound of the guitars, so I shaped them with EQ - and chose a darker sound for them. Again, personal preference...

The way I approached it was to basically mix it the way I wanted it to sound, while overcoming some of the sonic limitations of the raw tracks along the way!

xstatic said:
Now that I have given my feedback, here is a link to my first 30-45 minutes of this song:)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/xstatic/singles?aid=4450&alid=-1&1111094015
Just had a listen - nice job! Only thing that I really don't care for is the kick and the bass -- it's booming all over the place on my system and the kick has too much 'point' on it.

Vocals seem a bit too sibilant, and the background vox are a bit too thin.

I like your guitar blend, though - they sit nicely with the vocals all the way thru the song.

Thumbs-up!

Back