A different kind of mix contest

I'll have to download it at home. I will have to put this on the backburner for a bit, as our collab song has some new tracks to play with. But I will get to it soon and see what I can do.
Emusic, I tried to listen to your mix, but it kept freezing up. Probably my pc...

I threw a quick one together like I always do...so ban me 8) I already had a punch in the face tonight for having a new girlfriend who turned out to be someones old one.

Didn't do a whole lot to this, some subtractive EQ, blockfish in places, reamped the bass through my M-Audio Tampa. Pissed about with warp and amplitude on the guitars. Hate the guitar solo...can't fix it......Reverb is outboard via an old Microverb III and a lexi MPx 100. Reminded me of blink 182 and greenday so I smashed the arse out of it on mixdown. First attempt after a heavy pub session. It'll sound different next time.

Here it is, Lighter

Alec

Emusic...

I like this, it's nice and clean, almost clinical. Maybe my old analog gear adds too much noixe, bad house earths always restrict me. I think your backin vox kill the lead in places,. wish your kit was wider and with 6 guitar tracks i expected more width to the mix but a great first effort. Really like the clamping you used. This is real good.

good song, eh?

LemonTree
Thanks. Listening to yours now. Great effort. Will pick some ideas from that in my second attempt.
Agree on 2nd vocals.
What does clamping mean?

nice shot Emusic...

still downloading, is there a deadline for submission? lol :)
for some reason i cant play lemons take, codec troubles, i think

clamping...limiting/compression

Mine is a quick one and a quick listen at yours too. I'm sure my opinions will have changed by the time the sun comes up. Really is a good tune though, grows on me with each listen. I usualy grow to hate a song by the time mixing is done. Refreshing having it tracked for you. Love things like this, exerience for all. Can't wait to hear the other attempts coming in.

Inspired by LemonTrees mix and comments I have remixed :)
Wider and louder guitars. Less level on 2nd vocals. Some more gain on the guitar solo.
Will post a more final mix later when the world wakes up and I can fire up my monitors. Still on the 271 headset.
The MP3 in the above post is also changed.
And yeah, that tune just grows better and better.

thajeremy said:
lemontree...i can listen to all of the songs on that page except for the one for this contest...:(

streaming hi & lo and downloading for me......strange that.

Emusic said:
Inspired by LemonTrees mix and comments I have remixed :)
Wider and louder guitars. Less level on 2nd vocals. Some more gain on the guitar solo.
Will post a more final mix later when the world wakes up and I can fire up my monitors. Still on the 271 headset.
The MP3 in the above post is also changed.
And yeah, that tune just grows better and better.
Wow! Drastically different. I managed to get through it before you changed it, and got this one to load (had to download it). Remarkable!

BTW, I gave you a bump in the scales for your mix, and I just noticed it changed your rep power to 1!!!

Rokket said:
BTW, I gave you a bump in the scales for your mix, and I just noticed it changed your rep power to 1!!!
ROKKET! I've been waiting for this; thanks! :D
No worries - Jake is gonna take it away again! hehe
A great way to learn this - this forum has been very valuable to me the few weeks I've been here.
Great fun.

Last edited:
Emusic

almost 3am here and I have a real job to attend in the morning. Sounds a lot less balanced now, maybe the wider selection of reverbs. It's heavy on the right ear to me but it is 3 am almost and I am listening on the cans now. Wish I could get it as clean as you do though...price to pay for being an old gear hog I guess. What kinda setup you got, what you using? Mine's all in the link at the bottom there for the studio. Interesting to know...ya know? 8)

The gear involved here ain't much. It's Cubase SX and the plugins that comes with it. Additionally i have the DX plugin "Clone ensemble". I have a Juli@ soundcard. The tempochange and convertion to MP3 is done by SONY SoundForge after doing a regular audio mixdown from cubase to a wav file.
I think the clean-ness comes from the EQ'ing and panning.
Have a good day at work.
Thanks and GN

Further gear is a Mackie 1202, A Korg Trinity, a lexicon Alex reverb (not used here), an Alesis SR-16 (just used for songwriting) and a couple of mics. And my PC is crap. Getting G5 soon though ;)

Last edited:
Mix done. Everything done in Sonar on computer speakers. Listen til the end... there's some cool production. Nothing redone but there has been editing.

Mix here

I apologize in advance for dominating.

Last edited:
Ok, I already know I'm beat in the mixing department ;) Oh well, there's always stuff to learn! One thing I AM going to do, is record you guys a new solo part to work with. Both the tone of the guitar at that point, and the line that was played don't really do much to help the song out...

Nice work Strave, good stuff!

Emusic..a little heavy on the verb don't ya think?

Will try mine soon...as mentioned .. is there a deadline?

Strave said:
Mix done. Everything done in Sonar on computer speakers. Listen til the end... there's some cool production. Nothing redone but there has been editing.

Mix here

I apologize in advance for dominating.

Well this is the only entry ive heard.

Good Job Strave.

I still have have yet to download this one though.

Are the drums a sound replacer, or drumagog maybe?

They sound that way.

Like samples.

Just checked out the Drumagog Direct X plugin. Wow; smart software. They are promising a Mac version also, but don't think it's out yet. Will try to redo the drums with drumagog, tweak some knobs and post another shot at the mix.

xfinsterx said:
Well this is the only entry ive heard.

Good Job Strave.

I still have have yet to download this one though.

Are the drums a sound replacer, or drumagog maybe?

They sound that way.

Like samples.

Yeah I completely replace the kick (Kick is the most important in my opinion and most people just can't pull it off... might as well use a million dollar recording contract's kick right?)

And blended a snare sample but the snare was pretty workable.

That little drum effect was actually done by just putting the snare track without anything on it in the backup vocal track and lining it up (since everything was off tempo) The gating/compression/chorus and 5 other plug ins did it's magic.

To make up for the singer's ability/mic's ability of the lead vocals I had to use a total of about 9-10 plug ins.

Oh yah and thanks for the compliments btw.

Back