A different kind of mix contest

Cool, it looks like this is going to happen real soon. I'm just waiting for word from NL5 on the ftp space.

This is a tune that I mixed for a friend about a year ago. I was able to get a pretty good mix using the tracks supplied.

I spoke with the artist and asked if he'd be willing to put the tracks out there with the understanding that the mixers could have a complete open door with regard to the tune - he agreed. So, do whatever you feel is required. You can rescue what's there, you can add tracks, you can delete tracks, you can re-arrange parts, you can re-track parts. Have fun with it!

I'll be supplying 24 bit, 44.1 tracks - 16 of them. They should be up as soon as I work out the space with NL5

We can retrack and add tracks and instruments?
Ah. I was hoping that we all used the provided tracks only. Then it's much easier to hear who did a great job, as the basic material would be the same for everyone.

caryindy said:
Cool, it looks like this is going to happen real soon. I'm just waiting for word from NL5 on the ftp space.

Sorry, I was actually "working" in my studio with a real client. :D

(Doesn't happen too often)

:D

Emusic said:
Ah. I was hoping that we all used the provided tracks only. Then it's much easier to hear who did a great job, as the basic material would be the same for everyone.

i agree, we should be able to just manipulate, delete, and mix the tracks, thats it. otherwise, i may end up creating a totally differant song. :) cant wait to get started... :)

Just waiting for the post...

I am only going to work with what is there, just so you know. That only seems fair, since I wouldn't want someone to add to my stuff (unless it's a collab, then it's all subject to change). I am only doing it for the experience.

jdalziel said:
...otherwise, i may end up creating a totally differant song. :)

Nothing wrong with that. This is really to allow for "production freedom".

To repeat what I said in my first post, this isn't really a contest. If someone goes through the trouble of adding new parts, and it makes the song sound better, isn't that a good thing? If you do the best with the supplied tracks, thats great too. It's all about doing your best. The mixes/productions that are good will easily stand out.

This song is going to need work. It's not going to work just throwing up the faders. There are parts which I believe will never work as they stand. You'll see.

Just so you know, it's 6 tracks of drums, lot's of guitar tracks, acoustic guitar , bass, and two vocal tracks. It's not all golden either. I was able to make a nice mix with the supplied tracks, so if thats what you're into, go for it.

Emusic said:

When i put PMC9 up itll be that way Emusic, so you can have it both ways between the two tunes.

I'm in too!!

It'll be fun. Don't expect me adding anything though. It's more fun that way I think... Kind of thinking of it as a mix job.

Well how about posting the results in 2 categories:
Submitted material only and custom versions?

Last edited:
Just downloaded and unpacked.
Was it recorded with a clicktrack?
Seems like the tempo is 71 bpm. It works fine on that tempo early and middle in the aqoustic gitar wav, but drifts slightly away around 45 secounds into the wave itself, to catch up again at the end of the wave.
Another question - is there a place to hear the current mix? It's somewhat a puzzle to put the tracks together otherwise.

They didn't use a click track - they just went for it.

I'm not going to post the mix from the cd. This is where the producer shines. Make it work. :)

There is always PM9 if this isn't the type of thing you want to do. Chris (xfinsterx) has been faithfully doing the type of thing you're looking for, about once a month.

I just found out that it is full length wav files. That makes it easy puzzlewise. Nice song, looking forward to try to do a mix.

Last edited:
grabbed it today. Sounds good with just the faders thrown up. I notice that click too in the middle...the sticks are counting but there's another click just in front. I'll isolate it later. Looking forward to this one

Alec

Have my first mix ready. A shitload of guitars. Gonna kill some of them. My buggy PC starts to act strange. Clicksounds. Have to restart here and there.
Wish I had my G5/Logic pro and the guitar stuff that logic pro 7.01 offers.
I'm getting it, but it takes time.

Ok, my quick entry mix can be found here. Keep in mind that I'm a completely noob to mixing like this. This is all done with the original material supplied - nothing added that wasn't there in the ZIP-file.
I had to mix it entirely on my AKG K-271 headset as its to late here to fire up my Fostex PM-1 monitors. So I'm a tad curious to hear especially the snare as I know the snare tend to come more forward on my monitors.

I will post a second mix later when I can engage my Fostex monitors.

This is what I did:

* Cut the intro down 4 bars
* raised the tempo
* removed some guitar
* added EQ and reverb to main vocal
* EQ'ed and prosessed the bass
* EQ'ed and prosessed the kick
* added guitar plugins to the guitars and some verb here and there. Also EQ
* Tried to run a noisegate on the snaretrack. Added verb, compression and EQ to the snare.
* Removed some out of tune guitar playing
* Added 2 tracks of backing vocals - one processed with Clone Ensemble and reverb
* Added a 2nd voice of main vocal on the last 20 secs.
* overall panning and leveling
* current worktime: approx 35 minutes

Thats basically it. Great song!

Curious for feedbacks :)

Last edited:
Back