A different kind of mix contest

chessrock said:
Mike Runner ... your snare sounds like it has a Phil Collins-esque gated reverb, which is interesting, but unfortunately makes it sound a little mechanical -- like a drum machine. A little heavy on the comp there, too. A tad much reverb on the vox -- not unlike my mix :D. Not a bad balance, though, at all. It translates well on my monitors, and I love the way you mixed the backing vocal vocal. Good job.

Thanks for your evaluation chessrock, I appreciate it :)
I've made some changes to the mix. Some EQ-changes on the snare, another reverb on the snare, some changes in the vocal-reverb, a little less reverb in general, a little bit more of the bass and I've compressed a little less in the mastering.

Check it out (same link as before)

Cheers,

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - it's not a contest (although Scrubs and co. sure got a lot of free mixes out of it!!!) ;) :p

Uh oh. You lost track of which thread is which. :p

This is caryindy's thread. The other thread was scrubs, rokket, etc.

:)

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - it's not a contest (although Scrubs and co. sure got a lot of free mixes out of it!!!) ;) :p

Yeah, wrong thread. You're right about the free mixes, though. Bwahahahahaha!!! We tricked you into mixing our song for nothing! How crafty of us. :D :D :D

Maybe I'll send a pie to the winner. :p

Blue Bear.. I have some specific questions about your mix.

1. You bass tone is very smooth. How did you effect it? Is it just EQing and compression?

2. The backup vocals have some distortion above 5k, but it is very pleasant sounding. Is that intentional? Is it an EQ boost, or some sort of compression artifact and if so, what type of compressor did you use?

Thanks in advance.

tallman said:
1. You bass tone is very smooth. How did you effect it? Is it just EQing and compression?
yup - that was pretty much it - I also have a bit of "secret sauce" I use to enhance tracks (no, not the Aural Exciter! ;) ) Compression was the console's - on-board...

tallman said:
2. The backup vocals have some distortion above 5k, but it is very pleasant sounding. Is that intentional? Is it an EQ boost, or some sort of compression artifact and if so, what type of compressor did you use?
I multed the track and used a bit of SansAmp mixed in to roughen them up a bit. I did the same on the lead vocal. Very little compression as I recall, though - only a touch on the peaks...

It might be the "secret sauce" I'm looking for. I routinely compress bass heavily, but your console might just have much nicer sounding compressors!

My roomate has a SansAmp. I might play around with that. Thanks.

Here's my late take...thoughts and/or brutal words are welcome! This is my first time mixing a song with vocals yada yada...Enjoy! :)

Ipso Facto said:
Anyone? Heck I'll take a number from 1-10... :D

Hey man... listening.
pretty good so far. oh nice, the guitars are sounding good.
Good balance on the vocal - IMO
Snare is a little dull.
2nd chorus...Yeah man, I'm liking it.
Back up vox are a little too far back.
Gtr solo is hard to hear. As far as the end of the solo, thats a good thing. :)
Pretty good man.

Thanks man! The snare is a bit dull! I muted the main solo track because I didn't think a solo suited the song's style. What's left is the third distortion rhythm track which I should have muted in that part.

It was a great learning experience. Thank you whoever tracked it and also NL5 for hosting! :)

It looks like this thing is done now. Thanks a lot caryindy for a great experience. It was a lot of fun and I think we all really enjoyed it. Fun song to mix :D

Strave said:
It looks like this thing is done now. Thanks a lot caryindy for a great experience. It was a lot of fun and I think we all really enjoyed it. Fun song to mix :D

does that mean its time for PMC #9???? I sure hope so....

Back