Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Devil music!

Thanks

Devil music!

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a cover of Danzig's "Left Hand Black", abridged to suit my attention span. I basically did part of the intro and then the three verses right in a row. In the spirit of all things evil, I used a lot of reverb on the vocal. The high part of the vocal in the chorus ("Challenge the heavens...") was hard as hell and I eventually gave up and went with what's here.

Any comments are appreciated. My playing is never perfect, so I'll stipulate that your first comment will be about the drumming or guitar playing having some bad spots. In particular I'd like to hear if the kick level is ok, if the 18" tom that's played throughout the first verse is at a good level (is it breaking up?), and if there is too much reverb. I usually use so little reverb I'm not sure if it's even noticeable, but as I mentioned, we're going for evil here. Thanks!

UPDATE:

I redid the high vocal parts I was having trouble with so they sound slightly more evil.
    For the floor tom: I had the EQ at +4 at 80Hz; I reduced that to +3 to reduce the ring.
    I was trying to figure out what might cause it to sound overcompressed... I had the snare track EQ at +1 db at 175Hz to give it body; I reduced the +1 to zero. I also had the overall recording level set so that it was redlining most of the song; I reduced it a little so that it's only redlining about half of the song.

Last edited by NotThatBright; 01-13-2015 at 22:50.

Thanks
    I think that compression is choking this one, I can hear it pumping a bit in the intro. That floor tom sounds good, although it's ringing some in the low frequencies. That could be my room though. Not too much reverb to me, but I've been soaked in reverb tonight trying to find the right one for a work-in-progress. So everything is sounding dry to me tonight.

Nice guitars on this one, they're kicking some ass.

Thanks
    The kick level seemed ok to me, certainly wouldn't go any lower.

Didn't notice any 'break up' on the tom tom, but it was loud.

Vocal verb sounded good to me, there were a few spots and the end of some of the phrases where i could hear the tails. Nothing really distracting though, and i was listening specifically for flaws so i was probably bound to hear them.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't sound evil.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    I think that compression is choking this one, I can hear it pumping a bit in the intro. That floor tom sounds good, although it's ringing some in the low frequencies. That could be my room though. Not too much reverb to me, but I've been soaked in reverb tonight trying to find the right one for a work-in-progress. So everything is sounding dry to me tonight.

Nice guitars on this one, they're kicking some ass.
    Thanks for the comments. The only thing I use compression on in what I would consider a somewhat significant quantity is the bass guitar, as I've found it's easier to hear that way. I use just a little on the overheads, the kick, the snare, the guitar and the vocal, and then when it's all done I click a button and put the whole thing through a mastering process that I have saved, which compresses at a 3.0:1 ratio. I can't describe how much compression is on the individual tracks I mentioned because I use the guitar effects function on the Tascam DP-24 to do it and it's measured in a weird way. Can you say if you hear an individual instrument or drum that you think is overcompressed?

Thank you for the guitar comment. This was the first time I ever played a six-string chord in a song. It wasn't so hard! I've been giving you guys too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Erisian

Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't sound evil.....
    Jesus Christ! I couldn't even get that right?

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks
    Bring the vocal up when it's singing quietly - I can't hear it.
    Like is like still like the worst.

Thanks
    It doesn't sound right if the soft vocal is too loud. I didn't even know a lot of the lyrics to that part in the original because I could never hear them clearly. I believe much of the evilness comes from the contrast between the softness of the first part and the loudness of the chorus.

Thanks
    Love Danzig. Twist of Cain my fav. Sounds good bro.
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    Proper heavy tone at the intro.

Bring up the vocal in the quiet parts.

Thanks
    I thought the guitars sounded really good. I thought the drums sounded pretty good too.

The bass is a little indistinct. About the right level tho.

The vocal is the weak part of the song. The energy level needs to be kicked up a notch. There are sections where there is some good energy there. But the "calmer" sections are kind of bland. I also think if you double tracked them, it'd be an improvement.

Thanks
    Hey sounds good! How did you record the guitars. Nice!

Thread Information