demo - "Twilight Rain"

GONZO-X

demo - "Twilight Rain"

this is a demo of a song i want to re-do.....

i'm thinking of adding a drum track that is kinda of ride-heavy, spacey, like a pink floyd thing..

versus an 'eric johnson 1980's drum treatment', which this could easily be coerced into.
ideas?

i could almost just add some hand percussion, and call it good..
but i think i want new sounds, new vocal performance, so i'm just going to do it all over.

streaming at SoundCloud:

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/twilight-demo

I like the Pink Floyd idea. I think it would add a lot, but also listen to a newer band called Tantric and see if you get some ideas from that. At least on the first part. Just an idea. Cool song for sure. The ending was definitely trippy. :)

Trump

trumpino1
thanks for checking it out....
tantric, i'll give that a listen, see if it jogs an idea or two....
i swear, i think i saw them play outdoors downtown salt lake city, a couple of summer ago....
they had a violinist?
anyway,
glad you dig it...

I find the vocals have a very "Yes" vibe to them? Are you writing and recording this stuff on a "home studio" setup ? Pretty incredible if you are. And kinda depressing .... :confused:

I'd say this....I'm not sure you really NEED drums on this track. I think you might be better off straying away from a traditional drum kit, and using some "world beat" type percussion instruments (congas, etc) as accents rather than a consistent beat throughout.

I like it a lot as it stands.

Sounds more like Steely Dan than Floyd to me....and damn good it is too.;)
Top performance and mix and yes do put drums on it, that awesome funky bass could use some drums to make it shine even more. Lovely work!

bagpipe
'yes', haha, you're not the only one to tell me that.
i guess it's true.
they're not a band i'd put down as an 'influence' tho.....
yes, this is recorded into SONAR via a custom pc....
small home studio setup, with a decent preamp, decent mics, and a good bass and guitar setup, now with Toontrack Superior drummer.
i record live drums whenever i can, but the bulk of it is done by my programming my own drum tracks and triggering with superior or EZDrummer.

alanarbor
you know, there's a very strong argument against 'no drums', that's for sure.
on one hand, it provides a nice contrast to all the songs that will be after it, and before it, that will have TONS of drums!
LOL
thanks

joeym
steely dan, huh?
that's cool... everybody heres something different, i like that.
dan makes sense, this song has more jazzy chords and turnarounds than the typical floyd song..
but floyd has that ultimate 'space vibe' thing going on..
i'd love to try to marry the two.
it would be nice to have some kind of percussion track, to drive the bass part like you suggest.
hm.
many experiments are on the way, i think....

I thought this sounded really great! I agree a little percussion might be a nice touch...maybe something including a delicate cymbal kind of sound? or those chimes things (lol.....as I was typing that the wind chimes came in again!!)...I was thinking of those chimes that are little silver tubes lined up in graduated sizes (is it not painfully obvious I am not a percussionist?!!!)...and some snare(?) but most definitely nothing too intrusive as the song is so good already.

I try to steer away from telling someone. this sounds like so and so band or song, but going against that I would say your vocals and material does remind me a lot of Yes, in a good way. Cool arrangement and chord structure on this one....seemingly effortless vocals.

I'd be scared shitless to start adding percussion to this out of fear i'd screw it up. However, the verses sound pretty good as is...maybe add some dynamics to the the chorus(ushering it in w/accents on the opening/lead-in chords), and maybe a straight out syncopated rhythmic beat to the lead break section.

Enjoyed this..nice work as usual.

sharonclowe
thanks a lot for checking this one out....
delicate, yes. that's the word i've been searching for.
a lot of my other stuff is brute crude.
LOL
but this needs to be delicate.....

those chimes i used, are actually my outdoor patio chimes...... there are about 6 or 7 graduated length pipes hanging from wooden supports, i just took a mic outside, while it was windy, and caught it pure and simple.

mick doobie
glad you checked it out, and thanks for commenting.....
good ideas, i think everybody is mostly on the same page with this one....
whatever i do, do sparingly.....
atmospheric, sparse, whatever, i have a stronger idea in my head now.... thanks for all the comments.

Back