demo track for a local rock band

hey all.

could you give me yr thoughts on this here mix? i'm really struggling. i think the guitars were tracked kinda crappily, alot too much fizz, really having trouble taming that. bass is direct thru amplitube3 free.

thanks!:D
mark

At first I thought "this is terrible" but actually; snare and cymbals sound OK, bass sounds OK, Vox are OK.

Kick sounds bad, boofy and poofy, needs some serious EQ. I'd try deep cutting lo-mids around(200hz-500hz) and boosting around (1.5-2K)

Yeah those guitars are terrible, can you run em through a sim? Its amazing what a good sim can do for a crappy signal sometimes.

ugh.

thanks so much for your input! does what i have here for guitars sound like comb filtering, or phase issues to you? i don't have a direct track, but i could run em thru amplitube anyway, see what happens.

yeah the kick was very troublesome too. unfortunately i am also the one who tracked everything in my home "studio." funny thing is this is the best i've gotten to date. well...it's the second of 2 projects i've done. i don't have alot of experience recording bands, but i will need to get a handle on the electric guitar sound thing for sure.

Oof. It's hard to hear past the painful performance/song issues, man. Not your fault, of course, but there's really not much you can do without extensive editing/autotune. Honestly, I'd just tell the band that's what they sound like, and don't waste your time on perceived mix issues when the band's this bad.

mm, i know, i didn't wanna point that out, well, don't really have to. singer/guitarist came in hungover, told him and the drummer not to drink--they did anyway. grrrr. singer was apologetic. doesn't make it sound better, but they wanna work with me again. maybe i can convince them not to suck in the future! :D

thanks!

Back