demo critique~~~

I have been recording for the better part of 5 years now and the other guy has been at it for well over 10 years. We have learned this shit and know what we are doing, technically.

This is the home recording bbs, though. Perhaps you'll get a much better response from the guys in this forum:

Mixermans Message Board

The guys on that site are pro's, and will be much better suited to answer your questions than us little home reccer's.

They're also super nice over there, so you'll probably get some good feedback from them without any sort of smartass comments.

Good luck,

-Speedy

SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!! another smart ass comment! I lOVE it! trying to give you some background on me and it is thrown in my face! Never mentioned that I thought I was any better than anyone on this BBS. ONLY telling you my experience and equipment. thanks man. very nice of you.

relax dude, relax. Sometimes the more you show that you can be upset by someone challenging your shit, the more apt people are to come out of the woodwork poking sticks at you.

I could have posted a manufactured cd quality song on cdbaby and everyone would be saying the same shit. that it is bad because the quality sucks, EVEN THOUGH it could have been a song off of a foo fighters cd. (professionally recorded mixed and mastered) know what I mean, my fault for not posting a better clip. I'm done.

This i don't think is true. You saw it yourself, how about that thread with piltdown man. I don't think he's ever posted in the clinic before, but nobody was on his case about the recording because you heard the clarity of every drum hit, every nuance of the singers voice. Granted the arrangement was pretty sparse but that worked to his advantage.

I think in that thread you can see that when people recognize a well done recording they are not afraid to say so.

the dude said:
I have been recording for the better part of 5 years now and the other guy has been at it for well over 10 years. We have learned this shit and know what we are doing, technically.

Why did you even bother posting your work in the mixing clinic if you're so positive your mix is so great? Are you just looking for someone to tell you how wonderful you are? Obviously you weren't looking for help or suggestions on how to improve your work (which is the whole purpose of the clinic). The only thing you are willing to concede might be wrong with your stuff is the quality of the MP3. Do you really think you're THAT GOOD?

relax dude, relax. Sometimes the more you show that you can be upset by someone challenging your shit, the more apt people are to come out of the woodwork poking sticks at you.

Wise words, Khomp.

the dude, I was serious. You didn't like what someone said about something, and so now, you're super sensitive, and fire off every time someone posts something that doesn't say how great you are. Perhaps cdbaby is the culprit. The people on this forum tend to gravitate toward nowhereradio.com, however, and so most are more familiar with what happens there than at cdbaby. All I said was maybe the pro's at mixermans would be a bit more helpful to you.

Maybe they wouldn't. *shrug*

I never suggested that you said you were better than everyone on this BBS. I'm the one who's suggesting that perhaps you're better than what this BBS can offer you. Mixerman's forum is full of people that are professionals, and maybe that's the place you should post your stuff, that's all. When I said us little home reccer's, I meant that, because that's what we are. I'm sure the SB over there will be able to help you out.

-Speedy

I downloaded and listened to "In the Shadows." I'm not sure if you consider 128kbps to be high quality, but that's the best I could get.

I liked layered guitar sounds (and vocal for that matter), so I liked that part of the piece. The tune was a decent one. The piano in the middle break was nice, but a bit on the quiet side.

I thought the acoustic guit sound was ok, but didn't get a whole lot of resolution in the mids. The two hardpanned tracks weren't exactly in sync - which I believe was intentional. However it was a bit distracting when listening on headphones. Gives a sort of ping-pong effect if you know what I mean.

A bit of resolution missing in the mids of the vocals as well. The vox get covered by a guitar chord here and there (e.g., what I believe is the word "turn" at :23). Several other instances throughout.

Although I thought the tune and ambience were nice, lyrically I thought it was somewhat weak (e.g., "tell me what you had in mind, because it's all just a matter of time," "waited for one million years, turned you to stone, made you dissappear."). Grammatically correct, but it seems more like filler than anything.

Back