DECENTER - Falling Away (mix v1)

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hey all, here's a song I just completed. I tried some techniques I don't usually use while mixing this one. Please take a listen and let me know what you think

DECENTER - Falling Away

Nice work dogmatic...

I'm only listening at work on small phones so can't really get into too much detail in terms of the mix, but it's a very good song...

Could be just me but I think I'm hearing the odd kick off the beat... 1.03 in particular, but that's all I got.

Good stuff dude, and lots going on everywhere which is what I like to hear. ...:thumbs up:

Sounds like a tight band. mix is all guitar. drums are struggling to get through. no bass freqs at all really esp lacking on drums. gotta strain to find the kick. Even the vocals are too low as is the guitar solo. If there's any cymbals in there they're smeared out into the guitar.

Sounds like a tight band. mix is all guitar. drums are struggling to get through. no bass freqs at all really esp lacking on drums. gotta strain to find the kick. Even the vocals are too low as is the guitar solo. If there's any cymbals in there they're smeared out into the guitar.

+1

Good song though.

In the verses there's a scratching sound on a lot of chord changes that's pretty distracting to me. Intentional?

Cool tune though for sure!

First and foremost. I like the song, catchy and powerful.

The actual performance of the musicians is quite good.

When it comes to the mix. I think the drums drown out too much. They sound a bit distant. The rythm guitar pretty much eats up the entire sound scape, drowning out drums, solo and at times vocals. The guitar sound in itself is quite fat and I like it, but I would dial it down a few notches to allow the other instruments to breath.

Very corporate modern rock-ish. But....it's all so canned sounding. Sounds like sims and drum loops. It's squashed loud, and I'm usually cool with that because I'm not some retarded loudness war parrot crying about dynamics, but this one really has no dynamics whatsoever. It's flat and just one big two dimensional barrage of guitar. So, to sum up....

Humanize the drums. Give them some space.
The guitars are what they are
The bass is kind of mushy and inarticulate. I'd like it to have more character. A personality instead of just mushing around down low.
Use better limiting to get your loudness while still preserving some dynamics.

i listened on 0.5 and picked up pretty much everything, there is some fret noise but its normal to me. i like the fullness and the panning, vox and harmonies sounds good. sounds done down here.

I don't know what ap & dobro are listening on - I hear bass frequencies well enough. The vocal is plenty loud & the solo starts off a little quiet but builds up. The outro lead could use a bump.
The drums do need a little humanizing and you should reconsider the limiter settings.
I don't use anything across the stereo master bus when I post as I want folk to listen & hear.

Okay - thanks everybody for the critiques. I definitely hear what you guys are saying. I'm going to re-do the bass with a different amp and see if I can get a better tone out of it. I'm going to adjust the eq I had on the SSL EQ on my guitar bus bring down the overall guitar volume a couple db. For the drums, which are definitely real, we mic'd them the same but mixed them differently than we normally do. My drummer tried using the CLA plugins on the snare (and I think the kick too) and it definitely sounded fine at the time... which is the other thing. After posting it here and listening to it on different setups I realized that this mix is not that good. My drummer did the same thing. We hadn't spoken in a few days, then when we met up at a BBQ over the weekend we immediately looked at each other and said, "What the fuck man? That mix was horrible." This was also the first full mix we did in a new room with new sound treatment. So I think we need to get our ears used to working in this new space. I'll be back with an updated version once we get our shit together. haha

Back