Dear (ebowing) guitarists, help me!

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
Hi there,

Here I am. Sorry. Again, yes I'm having two very inspired days. Anyway, I wanted to record something with my newly acquired Ebow (thanks to my lovely wife). But I'm having some trouble working with it. So I recorded a little ditty to show you what my troubles are exactly.

Every now and then I get some kind of weird growl. I am using the front pickup, rolled off highs, placed my wah in upper position but I still get it.

At 0:41, for instance.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Or is it normal and do I need to shut up? LOL :D

Please help a silly bassplayer from holland! :)

Sounds alright, just a bit distorted. Do you have any examples of the Ebow for strings sound (violin etc), not including the terrible quality ones on the website. :)

Hhhhmmm... not sure what causes that...

.... but that was a nifty tune dude. :D Nice arrangement.

WATYF

Besides that little growl thing, that sounds really excellent, I like it alot... You dont really notice it too much unless you're listening for it....

Maybe it has something to do with the intonation of your guitar, other than that I have no clue...

Nice song though, very catchy....

I been thinking about getting one, I might have to get me an Ebow, they sound pretty cool....:)

pedullist

are you playing with distortion on or off? Most of the time i use a clean tone because it sounds distorted with the e-bow anyways.
Keep fooling around, it takes some time to really get comfortable using one and having complete control over it. My biggest problem at first was getting from string to string quickly.

btw

it sounds pretty normal from what i can tell on the soundclip. Try keeping from getting real close or holding the bow right on the pickup and it shouldnt get that growl your describing. It does sound normal though.

Back