dead muddy mix.... EQ tips? Any fresh ears! ROCK SONG

this sounds muddy in the lower mids and skinny in the higher mids. it seems to me you can solve part of this problem by making the guitars sound a bit beefier.

very cool song btw.

Not bad but needs work

Hey,

Love the song.

Think the mix is a bit fuzzy but you know that. You need to seperate out the guitars and maybe lose a small amount of distortion.

I would suggest trying a stereo enhancer (soniformer is good), and maybe move the guitars back in the mix. Keep the bass up front as panning it doesn't work very well in my experience.
Also try cloning the drum track and putting 1 channel way over to the right and the over equally over to the left. This gives the effect of putting the drums at the back.
Also you could clone the guitar tracks and use slightly different effects setups on each. That will brighten it up more.

Hope that helps

Also try cloning the drum track and putting 1 channel way over to the right and the over equally over to the left. This gives the effect of putting the drums at the back.

I've not heard of this technique before. I mean, whenever I hear pro mixes the drums always seem really wide, but I always assumed that this was just a result of a decent room reverb (and possibly compression).

Do you mean that this is only applied to the hihat, or overheads, snare, kick etc?

Cheers.

Drums mix

I use it for drum loops (These are pro drummers really playing so I cannot split the drums/cymbals etc).

I like the drums high in the mix too but may remix some stuff so they are lower down

Was told this technique by a recording studio guy.

I have some songs on soundclick (http://www.soundclick/mikerowe) that use this technique (Not sure which ones but I know that Sea of Tranquility used this technique).

I am still learning to mix but thought this was a nice technique and allows me to split things quite well. The theory behind it is to make the drums sound like they are central at the back.

sounds like this was recorded in a padded room; everything is really dry. the guitars sound really thin and fizzy. drums need some eq help, especially the snare. the snare sounds like it's in a bedroom. i think the guitars would have to be retracked to continue working on the mix. sounds like they were miced with a 990 condensor mic. it's really hard to judge the rest of the mix with those fizzy guitars.

the tune itself is good and all playing sounds good. tune has some energy.

thanks for the input guys.......

guitars were actually miced with a shure SM7b

i used some plugin demo of track plug 5 on most the tracks..... guitars included...

i'll work more on it after work.. maybe i can also upload the raw untouched version

any break down of the actual EQ.... what is making this muddy ?

an accumulation of sounds in the 50-250 hz region? check every track for unwanted bass frequenties, make bass and bassdrum a bit thinner in those regions, ... it's not how every track sounds by itself but how they all sound together.

1+1 = outcome unknown ;-)

You might be able to save the vocal and bass guitar tracks. The drums sound like you recorded a clock radio and the guitars sound like a glass jar full of bees. Did you run everything through an EQ with a smiley face setting? Don't waste your time trying to polish a turd. Go ahead and retrack the drums and guitars.

ocnor said:
You might be able to save the vocal and bass guitar tracks. The drums sound like you recorded a clock radio and the guitars sound like a glass jar full of bees. Did you run everything through an EQ with a smiley face setting? Don't waste your time trying to polish a turd. Go ahead and retrack the drums and guitars.

evreything was tracked raw actually.... into digi 002 rack..

EQ / COmpression was applied later.

LemonTree said:
That song is seriously clipped in places to the extent of digital distortion

i re mixed another version

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=236709 (upon arrival try 2 )

i dont understand how there could be clipping... when recording i set the gain on my digi 002r's pre amps extremly low... only so about the meter goes up half way when recording...

how does the second mix sound???

edit.... n00b question.... if i create a master fader after all the tracks are mixed... and bring it down like -5.0 db... will that clear up what everyone is talking about?

Last edited:
some of the clipping is gone but alot of it's still there. guitars are still thin as all hell and no improvements to the drums that i can hear. good luck with this man.

Back