Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dead muddy mix.... EQ tips? Any fresh ears! ROCK SONG

Thanks

dead muddy mix.... EQ tips? Any fresh ears! ROCK SONG

Sign in to disable this ad
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=236709

upon arrival rough mix

i was trying to improve the eq on this song.. but it seems i went in the oppisite direction..

any tips and pointers EQ wise , or whatever else.. . i could use to improve this song?

Thanks
    this sounds muddy in the lower mids and skinny in the higher mids. it seems to me you can solve part of this problem by making the guitars sound a bit beefier.

very cool song btw.

Thanks

Not bad but needs work

Hey,

Love the song.

Think the mix is a bit fuzzy but you know that. You need to seperate out the guitars and maybe lose a small amount of distortion.

I would suggest trying a stereo enhancer (soniformer is good), and maybe move the guitars back in the mix. Keep the bass up front as panning it doesn't work very well in my experience.
    Also try cloning the drum track and putting 1 channel way over to the right and the over equally over to the left. This gives the effect of putting the drums at the back.
    Also you could clone the guitar tracks and use slightly different effects setups on each. That will brighten it up more.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Also try cloning the drum track and putting 1 channel way over to the right and the over equally over to the left. This gives the effect of putting the drums at the back.
    I've not heard of this technique before. I mean, whenever I hear pro mixes the drums always seem really wide, but I always assumed that this was just a result of a decent room reverb (and possibly compression).

Do you mean that this is only applied to the hihat, or overheads, snare, kick etc?

Cheers.

Thanks

Drums mix

I use it for drum loops (These are pro drummers really playing so I cannot split the drums/cymbals etc).

I like the drums high in the mix too but may remix some stuff so they are lower down

Was told this technique by a recording studio guy.

I have some songs on soundclick (http://www.soundclick/mikerowe) that use this technique (Not sure which ones but I know that Sea of Tranquility used this technique).

I am still learning to mix but thought this was a nice technique and allows me to split things quite well. The theory behind it is to make the drums sound like they are central at the back.

Thanks
    sounds like this was recorded in a padded room; everything is really dry. the guitars sound really thin and fizzy. drums need some eq help, especially the snare. the snare sounds like it's in a bedroom. i think the guitars would have to be retracked to continue working on the mix. sounds like they were miced with a 990 condensor mic. it's really hard to judge the rest of the mix with those fizzy guitars.

the tune itself is good and all playing sounds good. tune has some energy.

Thanks
    thanks for the input guys.......

guitars were actually miced with a shure SM7b

i used some plugin demo of track plug 5 on most the tracks..... guitars included...

i'll work more on it after work.. maybe i can also upload the raw untouched version

any break down of the actual EQ.... what is making this muddy ?

Thanks
    an accumulation of sounds in the 50-250 hz region? check every track for unwanted bass frequenties, make bass and bassdrum a bit thinner in those regions, ... it's not how every track sounds by itself but how they all sound together.

1+1 = outcome unknown ;-)

Thanks
    You might be able to save the vocal and bass guitar tracks. The drums sound like you recorded a clock radio and the guitars sound like a glass jar full of bees. Did you run everything through an EQ with a smiley face setting? Don't waste your time trying to polish a turd. Go ahead and retrack the drums and guitars.
    "Sorry buddy...The magic wands are still on backorder."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnor
    You might be able to save the vocal and bass guitar tracks. The drums sound like you recorded a clock radio and the guitars sound like a glass jar full of bees. Did you run everything through an EQ with a smiley face setting? Don't waste your time trying to polish a turd. Go ahead and retrack the drums and guitars.

evreything was tracked raw actually.... into digi 002 rack..

EQ / COmpression was applied later.

Thread Information