De opening, do you hear what's wrong?

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
Hey guys, let's see if you can hear what's wrong with this little instrumental song by my former band here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2651&alid=-1

Which bloody (technical) mistake made the recording technician? (we got ourselves to blame, and we can't correct it because we deleted the song from the harddisk right after this mix. Stupid us)

Just curious if y'all hear it...(and don't download the other tracks, unless you're dutch. Otherwise you don't get it, them being parodies and all :) )

Last edited:
I can't hear the kick or the bass very well. The drums kinda sound buried in the back somewhere like they were an after thought or something. Besides that, I LOVED the tune.

Very nice.

Dennis

I WANNA' PLAY, I WANNA' PLAY!!!

Okay, listening now.

WOW, WHAT A HUGE SCREW-UP RIGHT THERE AT...

I'm kidding; sounds great. I mean, there's some timing weirdness, but it sounds kinda' intentional to me.

Nice recording.

I especially enjoyed "Als je stopt." I'm not as fluent as I used to be, but I'm a big fan of any tune that makes fun of a popular band, lol.

Hahaha Chris :D , did you really listen to Als je stopt!? The band we're parodying (is that even a word?) is really that bad. We 'created' the song instantly - the 'singer' making up the lyrics on the spot (no, we didn't know what he was singing about either) - so that took us about 4 minutes. Then we spent the whole afternoon pasting applauses...what a wonderful waste of time.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. But you both haven't guessed it yet...

Hint: it's in the guitars

Pedullist said:
Hahaha Chris :D , did you really listen to Als je stopt!? The band we're parodying (is that even a word?) is really that bad.
Hell yeah...I mean, you captured them, lol. I was especially rolling at the timing...and that ENDING! Choice...then, very appropriately ... HUUUUUGE APPLAUSE, lol.

People are dumb.

Speaking of that, I'm stumped on whatever the guitar problem is in De Opening. But I'm not real picky, lol.

The feedbacking mic bit was damn funny to record too: the guitarist had to stop playing for a moment each time in order to place his hand on 'the feedbacking mic' (solely responsible for the feedback), which would instantly feedback because of the monitor speaker right under it.

I love the good intentions of the guitarist in his solo. You almost get what he's trying to tell us, but his technique is sooooo bad... LOL

OK, I might as well tell it...

The guitars are out of phase.

Our guitarist played it to his coworkers (hifi audio technicians, the type of guys who only can think of music in terms of 'dB's, high shelves, transients & frequencies sweeps') and they started screaming right after hearing the first 2 seconds:

THE GUITARS ARE OUT OF PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE. YOU IDIOOOOOOOOOOOTS!!!!

They never told us what they thought of the song :(

:D

You know, I said in another forum that I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to phasing and polarity issues...I mean, I can hear it when I've recorded an acoustic with 2 mics and forgot to reverse the phase, b/c it washes out and sounds like a screwed up flange, but other times, I don't have a clue.

Sounded cool to me. Hey, flanging is just a phase shift, right? So call it an "effect."

The bad thing is: trying to fix it means pulling the rest of the tracks out of phase :D

Yeah, let's call it an effect. A sickening effect (this truly out of phase stuff always makes me sick in the stomach)

Damn,this is a cool tune.Ass kicking guitar work on the intro....going into some weird stuff now that sounds COOL.DAMN,thats a good guitar sound on that lead that comes in with the wah wah.......The guitars sound good throughout and the drum sound is pretty good.Id like to hear a snare with some more ass in it but thats personal preference.

This is a trip man.Im guessing you are a big fan of all the guitar slingers like Vai,Satch etc...ends kind of abrupt......stars for originality and quality of sound.

Yep, I can hear it...now.

I'd rather not, makes it impossible to listen to this track.

On the other hand: it's nice to hear it, to prevent things like these. I can sound rather 'anal', this out of phase stuff.

Listen to this bass part. Does it sound anal or what?

This bit actually sickens me in the stomach (the exceptionally badly timed slapping aside)

What do you think?

Bumping this up, as I don't make exceptionally bad out of phase bass parts for a donkey's ass.

Wake up, Chris! I'm asking you something :D

Actually Ped, that is a very unique sound. It may be way out from what you thought you were putting in it, but its damned good, and interesting. The bass line is cool as chipped ice, I like that sound a lot. Its just walking all over the weak kick drum and snare. Thats the only thing that didnt turn me on about your tune. Damn I`d quit my job and leave the wife if I could play that kinda stuff all night.

I thought I've learned to recognize the out of phase sound - but I don't hear it here. Those guitars sound huge! What guitar gear are you using? I'm blown away.

fprod south said:
I thought I've learned to recognize the out of phase sound - but I don't hear it here. Those guitars sound huge! What guitar gear are you using? I'm blown away.

All credit goes to my friend and guitarist Bas de Beer here...

He used a Hamer guitar with about 5 (hey, I believe it was even 6) distortion stomp boxes of various brands (the noise when I wasn't playing was deafening!). On some parts I distorted my bass too and played in unison with him (powerchords in the higher regions). We wanted to make it as fat as possible. Unfortunately it could've been fatter when we had connected the board a little bit better.

O, his tremelo was seriously damaged after this recording...

Back