"Days Gone By"-New acoustic guitar/vocal song

Frank P.

As the title of the thread says, this song is called "Days Gone By" and it's acoustic guitar and vocal. It's intended to be a bit thought provoking about the current state of world affairs, kinda in the tradition of the old 60s war-protest songs...but not so hippie-ish. It's by the same artist who did another acoustic guitar/vocal piece I posted a while ago called "Afternoons At Home" and I take no credit, blame, or otherwise for it's content or performance.

As for the mix...I've nicknamed it the pop mix because it is the first track I've come up with that was entirely done with computer-based DAWs from start to finish, and it's mixed a little louder and crisper than the more layed-back, mellow sound I've previously tried to employ. I've tried to make the mix modern-sounding, yet clean and appropriate for this type of music...hope I didn't overdo what processing I chose to apply. Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who downloads the mp3 and offers any questions, comments, or suggestions on the song or recording. You can find the download link on the front page of http://rsorecords.tripod.com

-Frank

I like your tune and where your coming from with it. I'll tell you my friend, your recording, mix and performance aren't bad at all, but your guitar is just a little out of tune. This would be pretty cool in a full band context, like drums and crunchy guitars and such.

Track Rat-
Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to the song. As for the guitar being out of tune...all that I can say about it is that this track was actually pulled from recordings of a live concert from several months ago. It was in front of an audience of about 25 ppl at a small local venue, with the artist out there performing and me 30ft or so away watching over the recording into my then-current DAW setup. So I can't be totally sure about how well he had checked his guitar beforehand...personally, not being a guitarist myself, I couldn't hear too much wrong...so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the "full band" idea, thanks for the suggestion. In fact, we're discussing the possibility of recording a few of his newer songs along with some more of my friends who play bass, drums, etc...maybe we should include this song also.

Thanks again for the comments Track Rat...anyone else care to check this song out?

-Frank

Man, that guy sounds a LOT like the singer for Counting Crowes. I liked the song, and I like his voice too...the guit's out of tune, though, which is a shame, b/c otherwise, this is great.

If you're gonna' mess with it at all, I'd slap some more reverb on the whole mix...It'll do 2 things: It'll give it the "live" sound that this piece deserves, and it may mask some of the intonation problems with the guitar.

HEY! alright, I think ive heard that guy play before, I think hes local around here ;) but, yeah, its good, its got that good ol' frank magic on it. and you didnt over cook it. I didnt hear the guitar out of tune, but, thats just me, if it dosent rumble my tummy i cant tell. I think I might know a bass player that could lay down some fat grooves for ya ;)

freak

i was going to say he sounded like the counting crows guy too...

but harris beat me to it

Dead-ringer for counting crowes. For a live recording, it's pretty darn good. Definitely could use a bit of ambience though - probably a little hall reverb to fill in the cracks, like Chris said. Being that it's a live recording, I think you'd want to make it sound more "live".

Back