Day Tripper

XLR

______
Day Tripper

Minimalist arrangement for solo guitar. ORTF mic config at 3 ft. Thinking it needs something else... I might add a rhythm guitar - maybe some kind of hand percussion.

EDIT: link updated with a bit of rhythm guitar

Tim

Last edited:
Tim, I think it sounds great. Adding to it, will change it, but that is not a bad thing. More, in this case, could be really cool. Percussion, or just a bit more depth in the rythum, would really expand this.

But as always, very nice sounds. Well played, and well captured. Very clean, and crisp. And, it sounds like you had some fun with it.
Ed

ditto. one critique i'd like to share is that i think the panning of the separate riffs is a little too separated. you probably know which parts i'm talking about. those parts just kind of jumped out at me, but i enjoyed every bit of the song. day tripper was the first song i learned. it's very fun, indeed. :)

those parts just kind of jumped out at me

I think I know which parts you mean... could do with either those parts nestling back in a little more towards centre or pan the other parts to match the width so that the take that sticks out at the moment doesn't come across as prominent. At least I think that's how I'd do it anyways ;) :)

Thanks Dogman, innobidova, Synkrotron, johnnymegabyte for listening and the comments.

I agree about the edit point sound differnce. I think I've got it working better with the new mix (same link) that has the rhythm guitar added. Let me know what you think.

Still working on a guitar hand percussion track that I may add later.

Tim

Last edited:
Excellent Tim, really enjoyed this. The overall sound was great on my system (or lack of system) No nitpicks from the snake bots. Also, I agree that I could hear tambourine really adding to parts of this version.
Great listen :)

Tim, I've been a big fan of yours for a while....

I feel this has some undue mud in the lower mids. Maybe the room or the verb? Maybe you were going for the room sound, I dunno. Playing is faultless, as ever...really good take on it.

What's your own thoughts?

I always enjoy the stuff you post..really nice playing...I agree that it is just a bit thick in the mid/lower spectrum but otherwise,sounds really cool.Nice job!

Great rendition of a classic tune. I like the "thickness" on the main riff actually. Gives it a noticeable edge over the other guitars. Rhythm guitar is an added plus - cool flamenco style in the one part.... Excellent palying as always, very nice mix too....it's all good for me...... :)

Snake – thanks. I’m working on a tambourine part but the damn thing’s not cooperating with staying in time. And it bruised my hand, the little bastard.

Lemon and variax – Yeah, too much low mids. I switched the mix a bit to compensate. The rhythm gtr was done in my small tracking room where there is a low-mid rise and I think that’s the source of it. Every time the A chord came around it’d swell up. Hope it’s better. Thanks for the comments.

Ido – thanks for the listen. Glad you like the rasgueado in it. I think a lot of the Beatles stuff is very latin oriented and the rasg seems to me to fit.

Reel – appreciate the listen.

New mix up just now. Tighter control of the low-mids and I got rid of the delay on the rhythm gtr (doubled track, L/R with one previously slid back in time) so its rhythm is a little tighter. This mix doesn’t woof out so much when I crank it up.

Tim

Tim, definitely has more even balance between the main riff and the "vocal" lines now. 2:38 of sweet guitar playing (man they wrote short tunes back then)..... :D

Timothy Lawler said:
Day Tripper

Minimalist arrangement for solo guitar. ORTF mic config at 3 ft. Thinking it needs something else... I might add a rhythm guitar - maybe some kind of hand percussion.

EDIT: link updated with a bit of rhythm guitar

Tim

Nice Tim!

Maybe a little brightness needed throughout, but very enjoyable to listen to!

Did you play along with a metronome?..........Seemed to slow down a little towards the end! around the 2:00 mark! :confused: It is probably me! :D

Sounds like you had fun playing this. Great playing. Just a little more brightness would do for me too. But you know me. I'm more a steelstringer, so I'm more used to the brighter tone I guess. Great cover though. ;)

Very enjoyable to listen to. I can't understand how you play so crisp and clear. I mean you should hear my guitar tracks dry and by themselves. :)

Anyhoo, I don't know the original tune (and I'm sure you'll know why if this is a Beatles song). So I can only judge this song based on how this sounds to me. And it sounds great. You play really really well. Like the rhythm guitar part providing the beat.

Timothy Lawler said:
Day Tripper

Tim

That's cool! I like the feel of it. There's some kind of "impulsive" feel to it, it's great. It Sounds great from here. I agree some percussions could be cool, but I seems to like it that way as well. It would be interesting to compare both.

Man I enjoyed this.
Great playing Tim good clean recording.

Nice opening act for todays show. :cool: (just woke up :D )..

as allways great and thanks for sharing :)

Back