A Day in the life of a Fool - Jazz Big Band

I really don't want to insult or offend, but I'm interested to see what this mix sounds like without the compression I think I'm hearing. I mean dude, this is f-ing brilliant.

This is a very pro sounding recording of a really good band and singer. It sound to be at broacast quality to my ears. You did this with-in the home recording realm?

We recorded the instrumental tracks in a studio but, since we won a single day in the studio, they didn't do a great job... Tha miking was awful.
The rest was done in my home studio, with the cheap PG81 for vocals and mixing in Pro Tools.

Thank you very much ;)

A Day In The Life: The moment I heard the vocals, I was hooked. Very sultry and smooth. I don't know the first thing about mixing big band jazz, but if asked (and I suppose you are asking), I would say this sounds perfect. There is something very euphoric about these vocals.

This should be the opening song for the next James Bond movie.

Very skilled execution. Sorry, I know this is a critique forum, but I don't have a critique. This is excellent in my opinion.

Okay, just also listened to External Combustion.

WOW!

Your band is incredible. Like, shockingly amazing.

These recordings sound just perfect for the material too.

That's a very good recording right there! Well done.

I think that maybe the drums are a tiny bit loud relative to everything else, but have to admit that reading you mention it may have led me towards that thought. Really, everything sounds good to me as is. I'm afraid I can offer no advice here. :)

I'd be happy to achieve something like this.

I don't have any grumbles about the mix. Drums maybe a bit loud, but I don't mind. I would like, though, to hear the bass sound more bassy.

I agree that the band sounds and plays fantastic, but I do think the EQ balance is off. Some harshness in the upper mids and not enough warmth in the low end. Other than that, great. :)

The second track just kicks ass. No criticisms.

Back