DaviSound "Mic-All" Preamp Acoustic/Vox Clip

This is a clip of an single acoustic guitar and single male vocal recording:

http://home.attbi.com/~pjandcompany/index.html

The acoustic guitar (a Taylor) was stereo miked. A Milab VIP-50 in Omni was set about 1.5 ft. from the sound-hole (slightly off-access) and a Studio Project C3 in Omni was set about 3 ft. back pointed at the middle of the neck. They were ran through a DaviSound TB-3 (which has "Mic-All" preamps) with neither compression or the tube engaged.

The vocal was cut on a Neumann TLM103 through the same DaviSound TB-3 with neither compression or the tube engaged, and through a Urei LA-3A.

Tracked in a room, very roughly, about 16ft.X11ft.X8ft with one pair of parallel, fully covered and very absorbent walls and a hardwood floor.

The recorder was an Alesis HD24 and mixed through a 32-ch. Mackie VLZ-PRO with only a bit of equalization. The reverb is a Lexicon LXP-1 setting with the 12k shelf cut -15db on the return of the Mackie.

Mixed to WaveLab through a LynxOne soundcard @ 24-bit, 48k. The file was processed with Waves L2 Limiting, resampled to 44.1k with WaveLab, and Dithered with Waves L2.

Aw, c'mon, man - is that the best you can do? Hey, stop messing around with the toys and do some serious recording for a change. I mean, this is homerecording.com, not minidisc central, after all. ;)

Okay, I'm back from work and listened to it. RE, this is clear, clear, clear, clear, clear. I think you used that same Neumann TLM103 - DaviSound TB-3 combination when you posted that song that your brother did about the family dog, right? But I think you used those mics for both voice and guitar, right?

Why'd you go omni for the guitar mics?

That Lexicon reverb is lovely. It's like you're right in the space with the guy singing and playing.

And finally, and by the way, who's the musician and who wrote the song? Pretty high quality writing and performing.

"I'm sure you stand for good intentions
For the betterment of the global spin
The world's security is breached
So we seek peace by killing others in another land"

Again - clear, clear, clear, clear, clear.

Not much to "complain" about here. Sounds great. I'm listening at work on headphones so can't tell 100%, but I think I'd like to hear a little more vox.

BPOCO.

dobro,

On that "dog song", I think we did the TLM103s on the acoustic guitar and a Milab VIP-50 in cardioid on vocals; of course, both through the DaviSound TB-3.

I chosed omnis on the acoustic guitar for this recording because I wanted a very natural and open sound, not to mention full, due to it just being stereo miked acoustic guitar and a single vocal. With omnis pulled a little more away from the guitar, I'm taking advantage of the entire room; even if it means a little higher noise floor.

The song writer and performer is a guy (can't remember his name off the top of my head) from Davis, CA I recorded a 4 song demo for. He's getting ready to start performing solo a bit around the area. I guess he also has a band and says he'll be coming back with them when they're ready to record.

By the way, congrats on the upcoming CD! I've listened to what you posted here recently... Very cool man!!!

Back