Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DavidK Helps A Moron (again)

Thanks

DavidK Helps A Moron (again)

Sign in to disable this ad
    When I originally posted this song a few months ago, somebody (crawdad) told me that it reminded him of something he might hear on NPR. Well, it just so happens that I'm going to be interviewed on NPR tomorrow (Tuesday) for my little space shuttle tune, and they asked me to bring a couple of songs, so I tried to re-record this to take some of the "shitty" out of it, LOL.

DavidK played on the original, but he wasn't ever happy with it, so he recently sent me 3 violin tracks and a cello track he wrote (played by Heidi).

"DECEMBER"
    www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

If anybody is interested, the original is on my album page: just go to www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango and click on discography, then my album page.

(My wife just broke my heart by telling me that she likes the original better, b/c I "sang it like I cared," lol...well, crap.

Oh, and for everybody who thinks I should be drawn and quartered for starting another thread, I agree with you. I've tried to throw this together in a VERY short amount of time b/c I wanted to be able to have it for tomorrow, so if it's salvageable, I'd appreciate some input. DavidK hasn't heard it yet, and the strings were a lot more diffic...oh, nevermind. Just tell me what I can do to make this better TONIGHT.

Thanks
    Hi Chris,
    listening now... sound quality is greatly improved from what I remember. Nice arangement ... but maybe the background vocals a little too wide (panning). I think I know what your wife means about the vocal... it's the timing.. your having to pace yourself so the vocal rythm is coming out too straight. This song has almost a conversational style so singing so tightly gives it an artificial feel. Mind you everything else sounds really good. It's not at all easy to re-record vocals months later... it's very hard to recapture the emotion. And it's a very slow song so this is not at all easy to do.

All the best for tomorrow.

dres

Thanks
    on second thought ... I doubt very much these people will run with your original recordings ? I think sound quality is a mute issue really ? wouldn't they be far more likely to re-record in their own studio ? I dunno .. I've got zero experience in this area. Maybe give them both versions and explain why ? Just a thought.

Thanks
    Thanks for listening dres. As for NPR, naw...they play all kinds of horrible recordings...so I hope to fit right in...LOL. Anyway,...I hope things'll get saner after tomorrow. Take care

Thanks
    Its great, Chris. Vocal, strings--all cool. Different than the original, but equal in feeling and communication. Maybe even better. Don't buy into anything else. Top drawer all the way here. Yeah, those strings are fabulous.

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks
    This version is better... but the strings get a little "busy" sometimes... well...... most times... They kinda overtake the vocals a bit too. This is a storytelling song. The worst thing you can do on a storytelling song is drown the vox in a bunch of subordinate extras. Maybe it's just that the vox aren't as loud as they were in the first mix. They sit back in the mix a little more... and I'm thinkin' that they should be the most prominent aspect of the mix at all times, and that's not always the case.

There's a bass line around 3:45 that really jumps out... like,... a lot... You should prolly take that back a little. It's noticeably hot.

But I dig the BGV's on this one... very appropriate.

Honestly,.. if I personally was gonna present this to a broader audience... I'd just clean up the strings a bit... you know... apply a little of the "less is more" method. Pick one of the tracks during each of those little "solo" parts and go with that... cause they end up walkin' on each other pretty often.

WATYF

Thanks
    I think the quality is pretty much there. I agree that the strings seem a little buzy, but the sound of real strings really stands out, imo and really add. Seems like one violin might have done the trick...or at least parts that didn't have so much counterpoint. I'm not sure I'm really hearing the cello in there also. It would be neat to have the whole band drop out, especially the acoustics... 'cept maybe a string track to add some dynamics. More of an acapella section.

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks
    yeah... I'll second that... I think you got a lot of good material here.. but I think you need to take a more (*gasp*) professional approach here..

For each phrase, you gotta decide what stays and what goes... you can't just throw it all in the mix and hope people can pick out what's what... try dropping out certain gits here or there, or cutting down on certain strings during certain measures... you know.. stuff like that. You've got all the colors you need... now you just need to paint something elegant with them.

WATYF

Thanks
    Cool...now that mix has posted, I can finally delete this thread.

Seriously, you guys are helping. I'm trying some different stuff. Dropping some parts out, etc. (also lowered the bass lick and brought the cello up some).

In the meantime, DavidK has informed me that he wants to send new tracks, lol. I love what I have from him, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna' turn him down. (God, I DO love the TSO "off-season").

I'll post another one sometime tonight before I go into a coma.

thanks again WATYF, Mixmkr, &...hrm, who was that other guy?...dammit, I'll remember...lol.

Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisharris
    Thanks for listening dres. As for NPR, naw...they play all kinds of horrible recordings...so I hope to fit right in...LOL. Anyway,...I hope things'll get saner after tomorrow. Take care
    One more thought chris ... if your including extra tracks I hope you have "Bottle of wine" included ... from listening to "Third Engine's a Charm" I think this is the other obvious radio friendly song of yours I know.

Hang in there

Thread Information