The Daughter Band Live.........

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
..........remember last week when I got so drunk? :)
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=73770&goto=newpost

I know Chris does although he hasn't shoved it in my face yet.
Well that night I recorded the band I'm in with my daughter. Now....these aren't multi-tracked. I simply put one SM57 at each end of the stage so the only vocals they are picking up are the monitors.
There's no real way to mix anything and what you're hearing is basically the two mics flat with no FX besides whatever was on there that night. The sound's not great but a lot of people have asked me to post something from the band so these will do 'till I get something better.

It's a three piece band and I'm the guitar player and that wah-wah on Hela Good is the talkbox my wife gave me for my Birthday. I'm still getting used to it.

A couple of caveats: Did I mention that I was drunk? :D I mean drunk, drunk, drunk!!
And on #2 Daughter Band...the first thing you hear isn't the song I meant for you to hear, it's actually a ride at the end of the preceding song; there'll be a pause and then it'll go into an Aretha tune.

There are three of them....#1 Daughter Band, #2 Daughter Band and #3 Daughter Band. You'll know all the songs.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles

STEVIE WONDERCOW AND FAMILY!!

Man, it's about freakin' time...LOL. Okay, so no mix comments.

COME TOGETHER - Loved it. I knew she'd be good; IT'S GOTTA' BE DA' GENES, MAN. You guys have a much better monitor mix than I've ever been privy to. I could actually hear the bass. (oops, there's a mix comment).

HELA - Jam...she sings low, she sings high, she sings very well, period. Your bg vox were...ummm... hehehehee... Man, I loved it. :D :D :D

BABY I LOVE YOU - I wish I had about 3 sets of this, b/c I heard the Bonnie Raitte tune and felt "teased." Your daughter just KILLS on this song. I have to throw in that my 12 year old is a big Aretha fan, and this just warmed my heart. I gotta' record "RESPECT" soon...overdone, I know...but she's got it down...LOL.

Okay, it's a 3 piece? Who's on keys/bass? I have this funny mental picture of you with a guitar hanging down about mid chest, with a Bass strapped on about waist level, playing the keys with your chin...LOL. and singing.

Addendum to "no mix comments" comment - That's pretty damned impressive for just shoving a couple of 57's in front of you.

Thanks a ton for posting this; I enjoyed it BIG-TIME, and it gives me something to look forward to with my own fam... ... maybe; although my daughter's so obnoxious right now (pre-teen hell) that I wanna' beat her with closed fists about 14 hours of the day...LOL.

Oh get that look off of your face... I DON'T DO IT!!!!

bump for now...gotta leave for work soon. That Cave thread is as classic as the Pot parody which I downloaded several months ago and listen to more often than is healthy! That sentence is grammatically correct so don't bitch. And don't read it drunk.

thanks Lt. I'm glad you put these up. A very good listen this morning. Come play at our next cook-out.

I really liked these songs...very impressive sound for just 2 mics thrown in front of the band..I did the same recently & the results I got were not a patch on what you've achieved here...

One Idea you might think about incorporating if you try this again is to have a mic positioned behind the crowd (if there is one, if not just a nice distance away from the band) so that it picks up some of the crowd reaction & the music itself in the distance..and then mix this in with the other two tracks...

great stuff..

COOL!
This is fun to hear man... You guys sound great. I listened to Come Together, I'll hit the other one later. Who's playin bass in this? ..... damn fine job. .....and your daughter's a hottie and can sing too? Real cool man.... makes me wanna crack a beer:D :)

g

Thanks guys.....I know it's kinda rough. ( I was very drunk that night ya' know :) ) On Baby I Love You.....we had just started doing that song (absolutely not a single rehearsal) and those breaks with the "I love you, I love you.........baby I love you" harmonies are....well: Chris covered it . They're fairly bad but the timing's weird and don't forget....that was a song we just did on the spot with nary a rehearsal so I'm sure we'll get it down if we ever play the song again.

My daughter's boyfriend is the bass player and if I load all the equipment totally by myself one more time; we'll need a new bass player 'cause I'm gonna kill him. ( Sure hope she doesn't marry this guy ;) )

The keys.....well we use some of my sequences. I have done a sequenced duo for about 6 years and I've gotten fairly decent at sequencing. I guess I ought to put up a recording of that sometime. Anyway; Since the drummer uses a click track on gigs anyway....it's a simple matter to send the music to the left channel and thru th PA and a click to the right channel and to the drummer's earmonitors. So we have songs where all of a sudden, out of nowhere, important keyboard parts just pop up, always in time even though the audience doesn't hear any click track or timing cues. It's kinda neat. You couldn't do it with a drummer who doesn't use a click. We have some songs where there might be just one little part in the bridge or something like that. Like I said, he uses a click on every song anyway, so we've started using more seq's. I hope we don't go too far in that direction but we do stuff that would be impossible to do 3-piece otherwise.....we do 'Thriller' for instance.

Thanks for not being too harsh ya'll.......I'm aware of the flubs and such but I wanted to put something up and didn't want to wait 'till I got something better. I am going to start recording every gig so I should have some good before too long.

Oh...and I recorded this on my portable rig....a DAT-Walkman...2 SM57s thru a Studiomaster battery-powered board into the Walkman. I'm gonna start adding a slight feed from the mains to bring up the vox some and it'll just be trial and error as to how hot to make it.

I like Come Together. So, let's get this straight - you play rock guitar on the weekend and do sax here? What other musical secrets you got? :D

You say 'daughter', and I pictured a girl, but she's all grown-up and sounds it.

That's a really good take on Come Together with just three instruments playing. Works really well. As for the sound - for a couple of 57s thrown up at the edge of the stage, you got an okay sound on the bass and guitar.

Gee, you could probably do this for a living if it weren't for the drink problem. :D

Good band!-Pretty good sound for a couple of mics-sounds like you got a pretty tight band-liked the guitar playing and the drummer sounded steady--(live with a click track hmm). Now just get them to help you carry the equipment sheesh...

hello, there, Lt. Bob:

So, this is what you have been doing :) For some weird reason, the first 2 songs are all detuned and slowed (by alot that I thought the vocal was a man!) But I can hear the third one fine. I know this is a rough, but I really dig the tones on the keys and guitar alot, kinda wish I could hear the vocal more consistently. Anyways, sure sounds like a fun night for all of you.

BTW. Just to give you a follow up, I am still working on the Floydish song. Very slowly, but progressing :)

AL

That was hella fun Lt. It takes balls to run tape while your drinking and then play it for the rest of the world!

Twist

This was cool! The "daughter" has a great set of pipes, yes? She was wailin' there! I thought the band sounded pretty tight. 3 piece is hard to pull off but you are making it work very well. I loved your slide stuff at the end of 'Something To Talk About". Especially that little vocal type line you fell into. Great stuff!

Maybe I get the wrong impression, but as long as I've "known" you, almost a year now, you seem to live one terrific life, my friend. Good people, good music, and apparently good beer....what more could a person need?

aww damn...this download is moving like the Garden State Parkway on a Friday afternoon.

I'll have to get back to you...
...again!

Dammit.

No Doubt Tune.

Great band... Sound was decent enough too, considering it was live off the stage..

Awesome!!!

Joe

Lt. Bob said:
..........remember last week when I got so drunk? :)

Oh, yes :) The thread title itself had me ROTF :D

Come Together - Very cool. Drummer rules. Hell, everyone's tight. Daughter's got a very seductive voice... how in the hell did you guys play that "together" all fucked up? :D

Hela Good - ah.... covering "No Doubt", eh? Cool song to cover... guitarist has it very close (you? :)) ... synth sounds pretty close. A "helluva" nice recording for a DAT player... very cool break; nice that you stuck that in. some wah pedal Your drummer is a machine :D

Baby - (first part... fade-in... slide guit) think I'm hearin some alcohol now ;) great licks, anyway...

Awesome bass sound. Great groove. I can get behind it :D doin the "gooseneck" thing w/the beat, right now... :eek: :p

Sounds like a helllluva lot of fun. Very good sounds; see, you can be drunk off your ass and play this well... I'd be sober on caffeine, ephedrine & ginkgo-balboa, and not play half this together :D

Nice job, Steve

-c

Cooool stuff Steve!
You must be really proud of your baby girl.
She can really sing man!

You guys must really have a blast together!
I liked the beggining of Baby I Love you best,nice slide work!
I really dig that song,Bonnie Raite?right?
Now that chick can play slide!

Very cool stuff,thanks for sharing it,
Pete

Back