Dancing Is My Dump Stat - new VHS song

Hi folks!

Here's the latest song I'm working on.
Featuring David Morrison on piano.

Latest Mix

Mix 1
View attachment 104163

I'm trying to play as many dance/EDM genres as possible in as short a period as possible despite knowing next to nothing about writing, mixing, or recording EDM!

I know you are looking for mix input, but this is a seriously cool song - love it. Few random thoughts:

* Vocal has a lot of dynamic range, maybe try and compress it a bit
* Vocal is pretty high in mix - if you are using a limiter over the track I think vocal is hitting it first - makes rest of mix seem kinda small
* Vocal is a little nasally, I know that is the natural quality of your voice after listening to a bunch of your stuff over the years - but maybe a small strategic cut in upper mids
* Vocal is seriously dry :-)
* That synth lead that comes after dancing is my dumpstat is cool and needs to get some low and cut and brought way up and probably panned so it is clearly audible
* There's a part near the end where you bring in some big drums, and I totally hear what you are going for - but they get lost in some mud
* Piano lines are seriously cool - wanted more, but that is just a personal taste thing

Take all this with huge grain of salt :-)

Thanks, all

Mix 2 is in OP or flac here

Added a distortion bus to the kick and snare to give them some more midrange and help them stick out in the mix.
Much more piano
More 90s sawtooth synth and a HPF to get it out of the low range.
Some EQ and more 'verb on the vox to make them somewhat less nasal.

I learn pop culture lingo with every song you post: dump stat, waifu. Catchy tune. I am not near my monitors so I won't comment on the mix.

Thanks, all

Mix 2 is in OP or flac here

Added a distortion bus to the kick and snare to give them some more midrange and help them stick out in the mix.
Much more piano
More 90s sawtooth synth and a HPF to get it out of the low range.
Some EQ and more 'verb on the vox to make them somewhat less nasal.

Sounds good - I still would love to hear that synth line more out there. Would also think about dropping the lead vocal a couple db and it would sit in better. My goto test is to turn the volume way, way, way down and if I hear ONLY vocals, back off the vocals a bit. As always big grain of salt.

I liked the added distortion on the kick. Sounded cool and well balanced.
I too thought the vocal was on top of the mix. I suggest checking the mix at low volume, if you haven't already done so. I usually listen to songs in the clinic at low volumes. For this one, it pulled together when I turned the volume way up. So, you should strike a balance between soft and loud.
Is there a lead line during the outtro? I *think* I hear something there... or maybe it is just artifacts of the heavy strumming on guitars.

I may not always comment on your tunes, but I usually listen to them. Your mixes have come a long way over the years, but I'm thinking you hit a plateau just short of pro-level. (I think I did the same thing, just not quite there). So, probably just a few tweaks away from really getting this to sound good.

And lastly, the VHS style is always unique and entertaining. :)

I liked the added distortion on the kick. Sounded cool and well balanced.
I too thought the vocal was on top of the mix. I suggest checking the mix at low volume, if you haven't already done so. I usually listen to songs in the clinic at low volumes. For this one, it pulled together when I turned the volume way up. So, you should strike a balance between soft and loud.
Is there a lead line during the outtro? I *think* I hear something there... or maybe it is just artifacts of the heavy strumming on guitars.

I may not always comment on your tunes, but I usually listen to them. Your mixes have come a long way over the years, but I'm thinking you hit a plateau just short of pro-level. (I think I did the same thing, just not quite there). So, probably just a few tweaks away from really getting this to sound good.

And lastly, the VHS style is always unique and entertaining. :)

What he said :-)

Cool tune. Vocals are good but too forward on these headphones. I like the guitars. This reminded me of your other mad tune wahoo is my wifu (something like that), in name anyway

Good tune - very comical! I can identify with dancing being my dumpstat ... lol

Couple of mix notes:
I'm hearing a lot of harshness in the vocals centered at 2.7khz, which extends to the guitars (which also seem to lack bottom end).
I think the distorted kick thing in the "moves like Jaggar" part come in and out of time. Also slightly out of time are the electronic drums that come in during the choruses.
The mix is busy, which can lead to congestion as things are piled on top of each other.

Back