Daigle Street Blues complete at last...

Hey Nicole - sounds good...
I would prefer a tad more lead volume in between chorus lines but it's good the way you've mixed. You put the lead vocals on the left and harmonies in the middle, sort of a 60's feel to it like Beatles mix...
Sounds good....:D

Sound pretty cool. The bass is nice and heavy. The lead around 1:01 could come up a little. The rhythm part is very catchy.

Hey Nicole, hope the New Year is going well for you in the Great White North!!!:D I like this new mix better, good story in the lyrics as well, I think you're sister does quite well on the vocals. I like how the bass & drums really drive it and the guitar accents things in a cool way.
The only change I can see that I might do is to pan the rhythm guitars a bit, it all seems pretty much dead center through my headphones-maybe copy the rhythm, pan them 20 to 30% left and right and maybe add a touch of effects to one of them-delay or chorus to give it more stereo presence. Just my thoughts on it-it still is fine as it is now though.---------Tony:)

Happy new year! Just catching your last mix here. Catchy tune :cool: Sounds good on my surround system. Good low end thump and everything seems to fit in the mix well. The direct guitars don't sound bad in my opinion, they actually go well with the bluesy vibe you have going here. Good all around job to these ears. Cheers!

Hey Nicole, hope the New Year is going well for you in the Great White North!!!:D I like this new mix better, good story in the lyrics as well, I think you're sister does quite well on the vocals. I like how the bass & drums really drive it and the guitar accents things in a cool way.
The only change I can see that I might do is to pan the rhythm guitars a bit, it all seems pretty much dead center through my headphones-maybe copy the rhythm, pan them 20 to 30% left and right and maybe add a touch of effects to one of them-delay or chorus to give it more stereo presence. Just my thoughts on it-it still is fine as it is now though.---------Tony:)

the new year is going fine for me Tony, i have a new song in the works. :) i hope the new year is going as well for you. i didn't want to pan the guitars much because the nearly clean one is only for reinforcement of the punches. it wouldn't sound very good if you could hear it on it's own.

Sound pretty cool. The bass is nice and heavy. The lead around 1:01 could come up a little. The rhythm part is very catchy.

thanks :) i wanted the bass to be able to carry the tune and apparently it works :) thanks for listening :)

Hey Nicole - sounds good...
I would prefer a tad more lead volume in between chorus lines but it's good the way you've mixed. You put the lead vocals on the left and harmonies in the middle, sort of a 60's feel to it like Beatles mix...
Sounds good....:D

i didn't pan the lead vox. they are spaced full right and full left. after reading your message i double checked and i can hear lead vox on both sides. thanks for listening so many times Gerry :)

Happy new year! Just catching your last mix here. Catchy tune :cool: Sounds good on my surround system. Good low end thump and everything seems to fit in the mix well. The direct guitars don't sound bad in my opinion, they actually go well with the bluesy vibe you have going here. Good all around job to these ears. Cheers!

thanks Snake :) happy new year to you as well. i've been mic'ing my amp lately so the new sounds won't be direct. (i like them better mic'ed.) glad you like the tune :)

thanks to everyone who's listened and given advice. i really appreciated it :)

I like this song, Nicole. Very nice guitar work! I wish I could play that good. :) You have a good ranking on Soundclick too.

BTW, one of the things I try to do before growing tired of a song I'm working on is to begin writing a new one and leave the other one alone for a while.

Joseph (icystorm)

thanks Jay :) i appreciate the listen :)

and thank you joseph too. :) this song is really old and has been kicking around for 4 years. in the last two years i've written nearly an album's worth and it still didn't make me not bored with daigle street lol

Other than the guitars being a little dirtier than the song needs, it's pretty well done. Maybe compress the drums a bit to make them a bit punchier...maybe not. Overall vibe is cool. A little bluesy, and pretty rock oriented....nice overall feel. :cool:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6092838

a friend from the netherlands just laid drums to this. this is only my second time mixing real drums. i know the guitars are crappy, they are recorded direct and i'm not going to record them again. i'm tired of this song. let me know what sticks out.

Cool tune!! What sticks out? Well, the tambourine does, just a bit... nothing egregious though. The left-leaning sound field choice for the lead vox is unusual, but interesting, especially with the guitar pretty much down the middle, it's kind of in reverse of where you expect it... sorta uncomfortable, but at the same time, cool; adds a level of listening interest/challenge.

Nicely done!!

Cool tune!! What sticks out? Well, the tambourine does, just a bit... nothing egregious though. The left-leaning sound field choice for the lead vox is unusual, but interesting, especially with the guitar pretty much down the middle, it's kind of in reverse of where you expect it... sorta uncomfortable, but at the same time, cool; adds a level of listening interest/challenge.

Nicely done!!

you're the second person to notice a left leaning vocal pan. i've checked and double checked and the levels and panning say i'm equally in both sides. i don't understand.
anyone have a clue why this is happening?

you're the second person to notice a left leaning vocal pan. i've checked and double checked and the levels and panning say i'm equally in both sides. i don't understand.
anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Did you put an aural expander in? Does your program support pan envelopes? If you have the channel pan dead center, but the pan envelope pulled left, the envelope wins...

Did you put an aural expander in? Does your program support pan envelopes? If you have the channel pan dead center, but the pan envelope pulled left, the envelope wins...

i know neither what a pan envelope is, nor an aural expander. what i did was i cloned the original mono vocal track. then i made the right hand copy lag a bit by like 5 frames and panned the original left and the offset right, in order to get that stereo feeling out of it. i did that with both the lead track and the chorus only back up track. but i always offset the right so i'm thinking that the offset side isn't heard as well. other than that all i used was a bit of reverb and compression.

Really cool laid back vibe on this...I love the fuzz guitar tone.I dig the vocals a lot as well...really cool lyrics...backing vox sound great as well, and the tambourine adds cool feel to the chorus. I enjoyed this , nice job!!

I like your song. It's fun. Are you playing the guitar? Great work. I really would love to hear you on a real amp. The DI sound is not doing your playing justice! The drummer is pretty good.

I think overall this sounds like a demo. It lacks overall polish. You are heading in a great direction. I relate to a lot of the riffs you play. Good work.

Really cool laid back vibe on this...I love the fuzz guitar tone.I dig the vocals a lot as well...really cool lyrics...backing vox sound great as well, and the tambourine adds cool feel to the chorus. I enjoyed this , nice job!!

thank you very much queepy/variaxman. i appreciate it a lot when someone likes a tune i had a hand in making. :) thank you for listening :)

I like your song. It's fun. Are you playing the guitar? Great work. I really would love to hear you on a real amp. The DI sound is not doing your playing justice! The drummer is pretty good.

I think overall this sounds like a demo. It lacks overall polish. You are heading in a great direction. I relate to a lot of the riffs you play. Good work.

yes blkdog7, i played all the guitars and the bass in this one. you will hear me on a real amp the next song i publish here. all my guitar parts are done and i recorded them by micing my marshall. and yes the drummer is pretty good, i'll pass along your compliment when he get's home from his holidays.

you're right. it does sound like a demo. a good demo, but a demo. i've learned loads since i joined here and hopefully my learning will continue and someday i'll be able to mix as well as some of the people here.

anyway, i'm glad you like the song. i find that to be very gratifying. :) and i appreciate it.

thank you for listening :)

Back