Dabbling with orchestrals..-metal.

Jouni

...Just posting this since I haven't posted anything in a while..:o

Spent only 6 hours this morning composing and trackin&mixing, so it isn't the final result by far...
But it's kinda fun messing around them VST-plugins!:D

Oh yeah, panning is shot because my right channel was operating poorly while mixing, thumped the amp with my hand and the right channel became louder..damn.

So it sounds like you were using the VST instruments more for purposes of getting a full, beefy sound than for creating alternat musical lines, right?

You did fairly well with that. The tone is very full. Unfortunately, that also makes it a little muddy. Everything blurs together a bit.

If you could bring the drums out more, that would really help give the song some definition.

Good start though. Add in some growly vocals, and you've got one of those metal bands that makes our American bands look wussy! (What Would Mayhem Do? :D )

Dude, thanks for the reply!

Yes, I was using Reapers "virtual MIDI keyboard" and playing that with the keyboard of my laptop...:rolleyes:
So, as a beginner I still tend to follow the guitar/bass line with the instruments. ...might try out a solo violin there.

I'm too eager to post my mixes around, ought to keep them to myself for a couple of days, because like now, the muddyness and overall cacophony becomes clear to me after a few days listening!:(:o

I'll make a new mix, anything else besides louder drums!??
Any hints on panning?..

Anyone up for blackmetal-vocals!!???:D:D

..At least I got a reply before falling off the board.:D

This is cool. You defintely have a very full sound there. I would agree with the need to bring the drums up a tad...but not too much. It's mostly the kick and snare. The midi sounds cool. Something popped out at me just as it was drawing to a close (i'm guessing it was midi, might be a guitar) that seemed to give it a really atmospheric feel. Made me listen to it again louder :)

Panning seems good to me. There's a clear sense of different things happening at different places in the stereo field and I like that.

And I know what you mean about falling off the board...

Last edited:
Nice! Didn't think I'de find any black metal fans on here lol. Drums up alittle bit and throw in some vocals.

Back