CSN&Y Cover

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
This is probably being posted a little premature, as it still needs a good deal of work. But I wanted everyone to know I actually record on occasion. :D

A Neil Young composition from the Deja Vu album.

Country Girl
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofcj1/

It's still a work in progress, but you guys can hopefully help point me in the right direction to finalize it. Any and all comments appreciated.

Great cover. Very faithful to the original. Being critical, it has a "midi" sound to the backing tracks. Maybe a bass guitar rather than the key bass would relieve that. The vocals kick ass. Overall, I'm impressed.

Simply an excellent job.

The mix is very well balanced and clean. The performances are spot on. In some ways, this production is better than the original, largely due to advances in recording technology, but nonetheless ...

Very well presented ...

Best,

Kev-

Nice job on the vocals. Music is pretty good also, but the vocals sound pretty clean, and sit really well. The whole thing sounds really big....nice spread on the parts. Cool rendition.

Great cover of this tune. It all sounds pretty good. Vocals are excellent. Piano part has a great sound. :)

Cool cover. Great job on the vox!
Have to agree that the drums need some humanization.
Are you going to add in the harmonica:D That would be cool.

Very cool!

F.S.

Great cover. Very faithful to the original. Being critical, it has a "midi" sound to the backing tracks. Maybe a bass guitar rather than the key bass would relieve that. The vocals kick ass. Overall, I'm impressed.

Thanks for listening, TR. I will probably change the bass as you suggested. I wasn't too happy with it either.

Simply an excellent job.

The mix is very well balanced and clean. The performances are spot on. In some ways, this production is better than the original, largely due to advances in recording technology, but nonetheless ...

Very well presented ...

Best,

Kev-

Thanks for the comments, Kev. We do quite a lot of '60's covers, and I agree, the tools available today often make the recordings sound better (cleaner?) than the originals.

Now, if we only had their talent. :D

Nice job on the vocals. Music is pretty good also, but the vocals sound pretty clean, and sit really well. The whole thing sounds really big....nice spread on the parts. Cool rendition.

Thanks, doggie. :D

Great cover of this tune. It all sounds pretty good. Vocals are excellent. Piano part has a great sound. :)

Appreciate the comments.

Cool cover. Great job on the vox!
Have to agree that the drums need some humanization.
Are you going to add in the harmonica:D That would be cool.

FS, the drums ARE human. :) They're v-drums, but they were played, not programmed.

Funny you should mention about the harmonica... I have reached out to someone who frequents this board to see if he would collab on the harmonica part. So I do think we will be adding it (crosses fingers).

Some trivia - the harmonica part on the original was played by John Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Mike

FS, the drums ARE human. :) They're v-drums, but they were played, not programmed.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Mike

Hmmm. I was only on my laptop but, it has decent speakers believe it or not:rolleyes: I could not detect any softer & harder hits on the snare and timing seems so locked down. I'm suprised:eek: Your going to have to find a crappier drummer!:D:rolleyes:

F.S.

Hey dachay2ntr,

Nice work! I love the vocals and the harmonising. I would like to hear the acoustic guitar a little more. Quite a nice clear piece of work so far. Well done! :)

Nice work. It is very faithful to the original and a challenging song to take on. Two things stood out for me. One, it would be nice to have the harmonica part towards the end. Two, the piano is a little heavy handed in the mix at the beginning of the verse, "No pass out signs on the door left me thinking." I remember that being very quiet in the original.

Needs more pedal steel! ;)

Ok, The vocals are stellar. I wish I could do vocals that well. The track overall had a really good sound. There is a somewhat "quantized/machine like" feel though that would benfit from being loosened up some. Perhaps the addition of a live bass player? Good stuff though...
Stevie likes!

Finaly got a chance to listen on the monitors.
Awsome harmonys:D Ya I think it's just the slowness of the beat combined with some of the drums sounds & the bass that gave me the midi feel.
Listening on monitors gave me a much clearer picture.

A bass player would likely be the best thing you could do to improve an already great version of this song. Love the song and great job!

I don't know much about V drums but, if there is a way to make them more velocity sensetive you may want to try that in the future.

F.S.

As before, thanks to all of you who took the time to listen and comment.

Hey dachay2ntr,

Nice work! I love the vocals and the harmonising. I would like to hear the acoustic guitar a little more. Quite a nice clear piece of work so far. Well done! :)

Gorty, I am struggling between the piano, acoustics and the vocals to have each one clear and distinct. Can't seem to find a decent balance. In the original, the piano tends to be the most prominent instrument, and I tried to remain somewhat true to that. I'm still working on it though. ;)

BTW, awesome guitar work on that Kiss cover.

Nice work. It is very faithful to the original and a challenging song to take on. Two things stood out for me. One, it would be nice to have the harmonica part towards the end. Two, the piano is a little heavy handed in the mix at the beginning of the verse, "No pass out signs on the door left me thinking." I remember that being very quiet in the original.

Thanks DW. I am working on the harmonica. I don't play myself, but I'm arm-twisting one of our friends here. :)

You could be right about the piano, I may have went overboard. That might help with Gorty's comment for more acoustic as well.

Needs more pedal steel! ;)

Ok, The vocals are stellar. I wish I could do vocals that well. The track overall had a really good sound. There is a somewhat "quantized/machine like" feel though that would benfit from being loosened up some. Perhaps the addition of a live bass player? Good stuff though...
Stevie likes!

Yeah, Track Rat already has me focused on the bass. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but it'll definitely be changed. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know much about V drums but, if there is a way to make them more velocity sensetive you may want to try that in the future.
There are two ways to record V-drums. You can simply capture them as audio, or you can record them as MIDI. I usually choose MIDI because it gives you the option to use different drum sounds later on if the need arises. Capturing the audio leaves you stuck with whatever sounds were being used at the time of recording.

However, one of the limitations of MIDI is there is a max velocity setting (127). Once you hit the max, no matter how much harder you hit it, it's still gonna be 127 (somewhat like a limiter, I guess). Not sure if that is what's going on here (I didn't really look at the individual velocities of the snare hits), but it's a possibility. The good thing is it can be adjusted without rerecording. You can randomize the velocities, or lower them all by a specific amount, etc.

I'm still thinking, as has been pointed out by several listeners, that it's the bass where the problem lies.

Just an fyi, this was recorded to a click track, and the drummer IS pretty good timing wise. That might also be an issue here.

Again my thanks to all. As I'm sure you know from your own recordings, feedback is always helpful (even when you choose not to listen to it.) :)

Back