Critique Please

Markaholic

Ok..ive been notified to post it here instead.

I have been reading your forum now for 3 months and taking all the pointer,tips,and tricks you guys had to offer. :-) Thank You!!

Now iv'e finally got the ballz to register and give you 3 of my tunes from my bands album to critique if you would.

They are not mastered as im still in the process of mixdown.
Iv'e thrown them up on my gamers ftp site so you can give them a listen.

I'm using a MR-8 and Nuendo 2.

Please tell me what im lacking or over doing..thanks!

Hello deah Markaholic,

Listened to Little Big Horn, some kick ass metal theah!!!

I like that scream that the vocalist uses to open the tune, yeah really really good rock scream. The guitars to me sound totally authentic to like 80's metal bands while the vocalists at times reminds me somewhat of Scott Weiland. Like that change at 2:00. Very cool stuff, looks like your time spent studying the forums were well spent.

Well i appreciate it man....you guys have some really good advice and if all others just pay attention they'll do just fine then.
That was our version of Custer's last stand!!
But no comments on the sound of the song itself...meaning mix wise?

Nothing really jumped out at me as being a problem mix-wise. But i'm not exactly the most experienced at that sort of thing so.. maybe someone else caught something that i didn't.

Not being picky, just FYI...

LBH sounds almost mono (if not completely).

For 192Kbps MP3's, they're awfully distorted... I can't tell if it's a "smashed" thing or a bad encoder...

Other than that, I'm "imagining" that the raw tracks seem pretty clear tonally. The levels are cool... There's a peak on the guitars around 2.3 or 2.4K that could be tamed a bit... Again, it could be bad encoding.

I'd find out where all that distortion is coming from and repost...

Cool tunes - reminds me of what Danzig would write if he was on a tour bus with Iron Maiden and Chris Poland...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks for the critique..yeah i did notice streaming sounds different than playing it from my puter...

Heres Little Big Horn @ 320kbs and i think i fixed that "distorted sound" and the "mono " sounding you were talking about !

Give it another listen and let me know if its fixed!

Last edited:
That's some sweet metal indeed, nice work. I listened to the first three. Can't find anything wrong with the mixes on first listen.
Not that the other one is bad, but one of those two singers really has an exellent voice btw.
keep it up!

Markaholic said:

Heres Little Big Horn @ 320kbs and i think i fixed that "distorted sound" and the "mono " sounding you were talking about !

Give it another listen and let me know if its fixed!

MUCH better - Wouldn't have even recognized it.

John

Wow, I just listened to Little Big Horn. I'm not even into Metal but I like this song because it's saying something. Great recording too! I have a friend who's Native American and who likes rock, I'm going to show him this song he should love it. Dude you guys rock! Great job!!!

Hey,

Listened to Little big horn,

some nice guitar work here!

The vocals are great too.

The rythm is a little odd in places, but all in all it is pretty cool.

yiordanaki

Back